New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    A 300 hp GC or STI gets to 100 km/h in just six and a half seconds. (yes, you could go faster in the STI... but only if you're willing to strip all your gear-teeth and roast your clutch before the engine even breaks in!)
    sorry niky but i disagree with you on that one. the STi's transmission is the one thing you will never be able to break that easily, it's actually next to impossible to break it unless you intentionally try to. that's why some say it's like a bullet proof transmission because it can take a lot of abuse and can handle a lot of hp, up to 550whp to be exact. on my STi i used to launch it every chance i get and my brother learned to drive a manual on that car, also some of my friends who owns STi's do the same and never broke the transmission. the wrx is a different story though, if the STi's transmission is compared to a bullet proof the wrx is compared to glass since it breaks easily.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I guess it'd have to be incredibly strong to survive Russ Swift year after year...

Stilll... you can't deny that a full-bore STI launch is a violent thing... not something you'll be doing at every stoplight... (though it is incredible...)

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    yeah, there are limits to everything and even though the STi's transmission is called bullet proof transmission it's still not fool proof. most of the guys who break their STi's transmission are the guys who doesn't know how to use it properly. an AWD car isn't supposed to be launched the same way as RWD or FWD, you can't just redline it then slip the clutch. if you do that to an AWD car no matter how strong the transmission is, it won't last long cause unlike in a RWD/FWD car all the excess power only causes the wheels to spin while on an AWD car all the excess power goes to the transmission which pretty much slowly destroys it.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Less power doesn't matter in Manila traffic.

A 2 liter sportscar with 200 hp is going to be faster than 99% of the cars on the road.

Look at it this way. A 170 hp MX-5 or MINI Cooper S gets to 100 km/h in just seven and a half seconds.

A 300 hp GC or STI gets to 100 km/h in just six and a half seconds. (yes, you could go faster in the STI... but only if you're willing to strip all your gear-teeth and roast your clutch before the engine even breaks in!)

A 200 hp 86 should hit 100 km/h in 6.5 to 7 seconds. Close to a 300 hp GC. The Genesis Coupe will still have the higher top speed and better acceleration over 100 km/h... but where can you go 200 km/h plus on the road legally in the Philippines? And how many times will you be able to do it?

With lightweight cars like the MX-5 and MINI, even going 100-120 km/h is already thrilling. The entire car buzzes. You can feel every bump and camber on the road through your fingertips. And they're agile and nimble enough that throwing them into a corner and countersteering out of it doesn't feel like taking your life into your hands. (Only on the racetrack, please. )

From reviews, the 86 is much like the MX-5. In other words, it should be fun to drive, even at modest speeds. And the stock tires will be Michelin Premacies... like on the previous MX-5. These have just enough grip to hold through the corner, and a modest enough break-away at the limit so that any slides will be gentle and easy to control.*

So, even if you don't have all that power, you're still going to be getting the smiles per mile quotient right, and you'll be paying less for gasoline and maintenance, to boot.

*Of course, you can execute four-wheel drifts in the STI, too... ...it's just a Scandinavian flick and a clutch-kick away.
    Agree with that sir. I can't help but notice that you mention that the STi does 0-100 in around 6.5 seconds? Hindi pala nagkakalayo sa Accord 3.0V6 namin despite a difference of around 60hp?

Dito sa tatlo, GC ako. Kahit in 2.0T form, it is still more powerful than the 86/BRZ and should be more stable and comfortable at high speeds. Kung 86 and BRZ ang lang ang pinag-pipilian, given that they are the same spec for spec, I'd get the 86 for the simple reason that it has a wider dealer network and therefore easier maintenance and better access to spare parts.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It's very hard to launch an STI. Drop-clutch results in wheel-hop. Low rpm launches result in bog. The best launches seem to be through very high rpm launches using some clutch-slipping and modulation. Which burns the clutch.

-

But an Accord V6? Not that fast. Having driven the 3.0V6, I'd say it's around 8 flat. The 6.5s figure I've seen bandied around is VERY optimistic. Possibly hand-timed versus the speedometer (which isn't accurate). The 3.5 V6 does it in about 7.5 seconds, as far as I know... so it's hardly possible for the 3.0 to be as quick. (But it certainly is fun).

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Haven't done tests on ours yet but by hand count it isn't too far off from the 7 second mark. Pretty much like this one here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tawZoRzBYsQ]'05 Honda accord v6 0-100 - YouTube[/ame]

What do you say if the Impreza WRX and Forester XT are included among the choices?

7. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    It's very hard to launch an STI. Drop-clutch results in wheel-hop. Low rpm launches result in bog. The best launches seem to be through very high rpm launches using some clutch-slipping and modulation. Which burns the clutch.

-

But an Accord V6? Not that fast. Having driven the 3.0V6, I'd say it's around 8 flat. The 6.5s figure I've seen bandied around is VERY optimistic. Possibly hand-timed versus the speedometer (which isn't accurate). The 3.5 V6 does it in about 7.5 seconds, as far as I know... so it's hardly possible for the 3.0 to be as quick. (But it certainly is fun).
    well the best way to launch it is to rev it up to 4.5-5k then slowly release the clutch up to 1/4 of the way, then when you feel the car move release the clutch as soon as you can but not slip it at the same time floor the gas.

like this one
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh1W-r07P3g]Subaru WRX STI Anti-Lag Launch - YouTube[/ame]

this are the guys who breaks their transmission.
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSPPejwAvBk&feature=related]STi Launch w/ Flat Foot Shifting - YouTube[/ame]

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    If the 86 is priced lower than that of the GC... hmm... that might loosen some fingers that keeps a close grip on my wallet :naughty2:

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Haven't done tests on ours yet but by hand count it isn't too far off from the 7 second mark. Pretty much like this one here: '05 Honda accord v6 0-100 - YouTube

What do you say if the Impreza WRX and Forester XT are included among the choices?

I thought the WRX has been phased out already? It would be a serious contender for me if its still available.

The BRZ/86 would be priced around 1.7M to 1.9M depending on trim level. Though the price is almost at par with the GC 3.8V6, the RZ/86 has the added benefit od having a perfectly neutral weight distribution, (50:50), with a coefficient of drag of .27 (very aerodynamic), and all of its weight below knee level, hence a very low center of gravity thus giving it very good handling dynamics, possibly even better than that of the Mini Cooper S.

Also will come in 6 speed manual or 6 speed automatic which is a hevily modified Impreza transmission.

The engine can also accommodate a turbo add-on.

If this car is as good as it looks in person, then I may just go for the 86/BRZ. The only question now is... which of the 2? Toyota or Subaru?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    so update naman.
    gt 86 vs genesis coupe vs sti?
    1.5m~1.8m vs ~2m vs ~2.5m

fight!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0L vs. Toyota 86 vs Subaru BRZ