New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    There's no word on when or even if the Toyota 86 will come here.

We do know, however, that MotorImage will sell the BRZ. Since MotorImage is Singapore based, it's likely they can bring it in at a price that will compete with the Genesis Coupe... maybe. I doubt it will cost less than 2m pesos.

I'm quite excited to see the BRZ/86 in person and hopefully... to drive it. It should be amazing. The big question is whether it will be as much fun as the MX-5. (drives better than the Genesis, but is slower and much, much more expensive)
    Topgear.com.ph already reported that Toyota is bringing the 86 to the Philippines, and will be likely available as early as May. BRZ arrives November and might be a bit more expensive than the 86 (50K-100K difference). The price quoted for the 86 and the BRZ will be between P1.7M-2M, so the pricing is right smack against the GC. BRZ/86 can't be priced over P2M, since this will go head to head with the STi, which is the better choice given performance/power/practicality.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Ahh, hirap mag decide... GC na dapat bigla dumating pa itong 86/BRZ...

GC likes:

- bigger cabin space
    - more engine power
    - Proven tech (in relation to 86/BRZ GDI-boxer engine combo)

Dislikes:
    - the front end... hindi talaga...
    - Big dimensions means harder to drive in traffic... though my Sorento is also wide, so I guess it wouldn't be much of a problem.
    -High FC (for 3.8L)

86/BRZ Likes:
    - small dimensions, easier to maneuver in traffic.
    - Preppy engine, tuner friendly... Pistons are thick enough to support turbo platform.
    - Low center of gravity = better handling.

86/BRZ dislikes:
    - pricey for a 2.0L
    - Unproven tech (don't know how GDI on a boxer engine will fare in terms of durability)
    - Small cabin space means half seats for rear (most likely like the Mini cooper)
    - Less power than the GC.

The rear seats are important to me since I'm a family guy already, so there may be a time when the rear seats may be occupied. However, handling/maneuverability is also very important since I'm an impatient driver in traffic. Though this is changing since its really hard to weave in and out in traffic with the Sorento.

My wife likes both cars which makes it more difficult for me to decide. Though she doesn't like the new GC face also.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Less power doesn't matter in Manila traffic.

A 2 liter sportscar with 200 hp is going to be faster than 99% of the cars on the road.

Look at it this way. A 170 hp MX-5 or MINI Cooper S gets to 100 km/h in just seven and a half seconds.

A 300 hp GC or STI gets to 100 km/h in just six and a half seconds. (yes, you could go faster in the STI... but only if you're willing to strip all your gear-teeth and roast your clutch before the engine even breaks in!)

A 200 hp 86 should hit 100 km/h in 6.5 to 7 seconds. Close to a 300 hp GC. The Genesis Coupe will still have the higher top speed and better acceleration over 100 km/h... but where can you go 200 km/h plus on the road legally in the Philippines? And how many times will you be able to do it?

With lightweight cars like the MX-5 and MINI, even going 100-120 km/h is already thrilling. The entire car buzzes. You can feel every bump and camber on the road through your fingertips. And they're agile and nimble enough that throwing them into a corner and countersteering out of it doesn't feel like taking your life into your hands. (Only on the racetrack, please. )

From reviews, the 86 is much like the MX-5. In other words, it should be fun to drive, even at modest speeds. And the stock tires will be Michelin Premacies... like on the previous MX-5. These have just enough grip to hold through the corner, and a modest enough break-away at the limit so that any slides will be gentle and easy to control.*

So, even if you don't have all that power, you're still going to be getting the smiles per mile quotient right, and you'll be paying less for gasoline and maintenance, to boot.

*Of course, you can execute four-wheel drifts in the STI, too... ...it's just a Scandinavian flick and a clutch-kick away.
    Last edited by niky; March 16th, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    May 2008
    Less power doesn't matter in Manila traffic.

A 2 liter sportscar with 200 hp is going to be faster than 99% of the cars on the road.

Look at it this way. A 170 hp MX-5 or MINI Cooper S gets to 100 km/h in just seven and a half seconds.

A 300 hp GC or STI gets to 100 km/h in just six and a half seconds. (yes, you could go faster in the STI... but only if you're willing to strip all your gear-teeth and roast your clutch before the engine even breaks in!)

A 200 hp 86 should hit 100 km/h in 6.5 to 7 seconds. Close to a 300 hp GC. The Genesis Coupe will still have the higher top speed and better acceleration over 100 km/h... but where can you go 200 km/h plus on the road legally in the Philippines? And how many times will you be able to do it?

With lightweight cars like the MX-5 and MINI, even going 100-120 km/h is already thrilling. The entire car buzzes. You can feel every bump and camber on the road through your fingertips. And they're agile and nimble enough that throwing them into a corner and countersteering out of it doesn't feel like taking your life into your hands. (Only on the racetrack, please. )

From reviews, the 86 is much like the MX-5. In other words, it should be fun to drive, even at modest speeds. And the stock tires will be Michelin Premacies... like on the previous MX-5. These have just enough grip to hold through the corner, and a modest enough break-away at the limit so that any slides will be gentle and easy to control.*

So, even if you don't have all that power, you're still going to be getting the smiles per mile quotient right, and you'll be paying less for gasoline and maintenance, to boot.

*Of course, you can execute four-wheel drifts in the STI, too... ...it's just a Scandinavian flick and a clutch-kick away.
    That's it I'm selling my GC!! hahaha That could be brochure material sir! (BTW I'm just joking, love my GC )

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Hehehe... well... if you already have a GC, keep it. Nice car, that one.

Me, I appreciate good-driving cars, whatever the speed. Two of the most fun test-drives I've had over the last two years were the Genesis Coupe (at 245 km/h) and the Mazda2 (which wheezes past 100). While blasting down the highway is fun, three-wheeling, oversteering and trail-braking down a mountain road in a hatchback with a puny 1.3 liter engine is an automotive joy that every enthusiast should try at least once in their life.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    May 2010
    ^I agree on that Mazda2. hehehe

7. Join Date
    May 2008
    I know what car I'm getting for a DD hehehe

Para hindi OT, with the requirements that you stated sir, might you consider an STI? with that, you could haul the family without the height requirement in the backseat (anyone taller than 5'6 would be hitting their head at the backseat of the GC) and have more carrying capacity in the cargo area (the GC's cargo is shallow) while still having the performance factor. An Intake, Turbo-Back Exhaust and Tune = monster STI (feels like a taking-off airplane )

8. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Hehehe... well... if you already have a GC, keep it. Nice car, that one.

Me, I appreciate good-driving cars, whatever the speed. Two of the most fun test-drives I've had over the last two years were the Genesis Coupe (at 245 km/h) and the Mazda2 (which wheezes past 100). While blasting down the highway is fun, three-wheeling, oversteering and trail-braking down a mountain road in a hatchback with a puny 1.3 liter engine is an automotive joy that every enthusiast should try at least once in their life.
    Agree with you on that one. The Mz2 has always been a car crush(I don't own one though).

I may get bashed for this dahil may mga tatamaan(pero hindi aamin) but honestly I can't comprehend how most people go crazy spec for spec, when they can probably only utilize a fraction of its potential, may it be because of the geographic/legal constraints, or their own lack of driving skills.

*MrGunn

Sir have you seen the rear seats pictures of the 86/BRZ? Say goodbye to those seats if you're a 6 footer. The GC can have a plastic surgery later AKA bodykit, if you really need those back seats.

Anyway, if you are keeping the Sorento, getting the 86/BRZ might work!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by genesischain View Post
    Agree with you on that one. The Mz2 has always been a car crush(I don't own one though).

I may get bashed for this dahil may mga tatamaan(pero hindi aamin) but honestly I can't comprehend how most people go crazy spec for spec, when they can probably only utilize a fraction of its potential, may it be because of the geographic/legal constraints, or their own lack of driving skills.

*MrGunn

Sir have you seen the rear seats pictures of the 86/BRZ? Say goodbye to those seats if you're a 6 footer. The GC can have a plastic surgery later AKA bodykit, if you really need those back seats.

Anyway, if you are keeping the Sorento, getting the 86/BRZ might work!
    Yup, the Sorento is a keeper for me, since its our primary family car (plus its just year old!). The GC or 86/BRZ would be a second car primarily for my own use. I've considered the STi, but I'm not looking at anything over P2M.

Luckily, I'm just 5'6", and also I'm not thinking of spending any time in the rear of the GC or 86/BRZ. Even in the Sorento, I'm always in front. The reason for the back seat consideration is my 2 year old daughter and the yaya, who stands at 4'11". I guess they'll fit in the 86/BRZ. More so in the GC.

I'm kinda leaning more toward the 86 in this instance. Saw in another forum that it's as big as a vios in terms of dimensions, but sits lower. Although a part of me still yearns to drive a V6 sports car, even just for the sound of the engine at full throttle.

10. Join Date
    May 2010
    STI nalang hehehe

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0L vs. Toyota 86 vs Subaru BRZ