New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonM View Post
    I was in this same dilemma and chose the Kia Sorento LX 2013: CRDI e-VGT, 6-Speed, bigger than all the other CUVs within the same price point.
    May nag pa reserve na sa MI ng 2014 Forester. Ibig sabihin nuon, malapit na ang release date..

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonM View Post
    I was in this same dilemma and chose the Kia Sorento LX 2013: CRDI e-VGT, 6-Speed, bigger than all the other CUVs within the same price point.
    sorry for O.T. remark, pero ser AntonM ba't di pa kita ata nakita mag comment dun sa THREAD natin?

anyway yes, since nasabi mo na din lang....for me indeed the latest Sorento LX is the best bang for buck in the 5seater SUV/CUV category at this time....
    maybe later when the NIKKEI groups decide on a price reduction due to a weaker JPY then the over priced RAV4 & CRV might just be more palatable...
    but then they have yet to release a diesel version for the local market (w/c is available in Europe BTW....)

3. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by parakitoJDM View Post
    sorry for O.T. remark, pero ser AntonM ba't di pa kita ata nakita mag comment dun sa THREAD natin?

anyway yes, since nasabi mo na din lang....for me indeed the latest Sorento LX is the best bang for buck in the 5seater SUV/CUV category at this time....
    maybe later when the NIKKEI groups decide on a price reduction due to a weaker JPY then the over priced RAV4 & CRV might just be more palatable...
    but then they have yet to release a diesel version for the local market (w/c is available in Europe BTW....)
    CR-V isn't overpriced anymore. Check out the discounts on the Japan Models and the Price of the Thai models. It's actually very competitive now. Only the RAV4 is overpriced.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by glntVR View Post
    CR-V isn't overpriced anymore. Check out the discounts on the Japan Models and the Price of the Thai models. It's actually very competitive now. Only the RAV4 is overpriced.
    Iam planning to get crv this month,ano kaya mas maganda?japan or thai version?may different kaya quality ng japan made vs thai? Ang daming feature ng thai,thanks

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Honestly, Thai model ang mas magandang tignan.

But that's just me.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Sa mga naka 2013 crv 2.0s ok ba yun power? D kaya underpower compare to 2.4s? Ilan ang FC compare to 2.4?malaki ba difference? Thanks

7. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    di ko gets yung thai vs japan? Anong pinagkaiba nun?

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by clairenceh View Post
    Honda serves 4 new Thai-made 2012 CR-V variants

Basa basa din pag may time.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by WOS View Post
    Was also considering it. Price wise, all the above named cars are the within the range of 1.3M to 1.4M except for the RAV4 full option.

What I am after at is the overall features of the car, that when you buy the car you would say sulit na sulit. Hehehe

Points to consider:
    1. Durability (to be used more than 5 yrs +)
    2. Fuel efficiency
    3. Reliability
    4. Easy driving/comfort
    5. Spacious
    6. Good looks/form/features
    7. Value for money

Negative comments I heard: (anybody is welcome to rebutt them, since I am no expert )
    1. Tucson - under chassis problems will crop up after 5 yrs.
    2. Fortuner - bumpy (matagtag)
    3. RAV4 - overpriced
    4. CRV 2.0S - guzzler
    5. CX-5 - brand & service reliabilty
    6. Forester 2.0XS - guzzler / too slow when overtaking / car frame thin (sounds like "lata" when you close the door

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    Based from your criteria, here are my thoughts:

Since reliability, durability, spaciousness and good looks/features are in your criteria, I think the current generation Subaru Forester 2.0XS would do. Motor Image is currently offering 150K discount on the Forester, so it's now at P1.2M. For that money, you get cruise control, sunroof, bluetooth audio, 6 airbags, AWD, speed sensing radio volume, HID, headlight washers, self leveling suspension, power folding mirrors w/ turn signal, auto dual climate control and a whole lot more you couldn't get from vehicles at this price range. (heck, these features could only be found in the Honda CRV 2.4EX AT, and that's P400,000 more!) Its looks age very well and it has a lot of space inside. Plus, the Forester is already a tried and tested CUV, so durability wise, I'm pretty sure it'd last you more than 5 years.

For the complaints you have with the FXS, I think it wouldn't be much of a problem. It's not really that much of a gas guzzler. Family just got one, and it gets 6km/L city driving. This is okay, considering that our diesel Starex gets 6-7km/L using the same route and a VGT Montero also gets the same mileage. As for the power, it's adequate and it does the job. It's not really underpowered; you could still overtake slower cars on the highway with ease, but it is not as fast as a Tucson or a CR-V. But I think it could keep up with a CX-5 and it's way faster than a Fortuner 2.5AT. (I haven't ridden or driven the new RAV4 yet, so I can't really compare this car to the others.)

The next on my list would be the CX-5. Why? Because it's really fuel efficient and it is fun to drive. It's 8-9km/L fuel consumption matches even 1.6L sedans, and it has good steering feedback. Sure, you may have woes about its reliability, but I don't think a car would win Japan's car of the year for 2012 (which beat the BRZ/86) and its engine wouldn't be included in Ward's top ten best engine if it wasn't reliable. I think this crossover is one of the best out there, and I think you'll have many happy moments behind the wheel of this CUV for many years to come.

Third on my list is a DIESEL R-eVGT Tucson. This CUV is a beast and would put all others to shame especially in the power and performance department. It'll easily reach 200km/h on the highway, and would get around 11-12km/L of diesel while doing so. Don't worry about the usual CRDi diesel problems people are pointing out here, because surprisingly, Hyundai diesels don't have as much problems as Toyota diesels. As for the under chassis problems, I think most cars would need to have their suspensions fixed/replaced after 100,000km, considering our bad roads.

Fourth on my list is the CRV 2.0S. It's a good looking CUV and has good features too. Trouble is, some of the CUV's seem to offer more for the buck. I mean, the FXS is cheap and has a lot of features (similar to that of the top of the line CRV), the CX-5 is so frugal and so much more fun to drive and the Tucson has a CRDi beast under its bonnet. But that's just my opinion.

Last on my list is the Fortuner. Before, there were many problems with the Fortuner's diesel, but this is all fixed now. But the Fortuner is still slow, bumpy and lacks features compared to the other vehicles here. But of course, if you plan to do a lot of off road driving, I think this would be best for you as its ladder-on-frame chassis would shine in places where there is no pavement.

For the RAV4, I couldn't comment on this one because I haven't ridden or driven one yet. But based on the comments on a number of forums, reviews from car magazines and from friends, the top of the line model ridiculously overpriced for the features it offers. Although it offers a nice driving position and it feels solid, I still think the other CUV's on your list offer much better value for money.

10. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Honestly, Thai model ang mas magandang tignan.

But that's just me.
    Quote Originally Posted by clairenceh View Post
    This is the JDM CRV. Its no longer available. Notice the part of the bumper below license plate has a smooth slope and no protrusions.

This the THAI made CRV. Notice there is a skirt like protrusions on the space below the license plate. Uses a different mags.

In terms of appearance, I like the JDM CRV better. Minimalist front bumper and better looking mags.

=============================

Learn more about the features and performance of the JDM CRV (sadly no longer available and superseded by the THAI CRV).

2012 Honda CR-V 2.4L EX - Honest Car Reviews Philippines

Jack of All Traits | 2012 Honda CR-V 2.4L EX AT

===========================

More about the THAI CRV:

Honda serves 4 new Thai-made 2012 CR-V variants

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
2013 Honda CRV 2.0S or 2013 RAV4 or Forester 2.0XS