New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by WOS View Post
    Negative comments I heard: (anybody is welcome to rebutt them, since I am no expert )
    1. Tucson - under chassis problems will crop up after 5 yrs.
    2. Fortuner - bumpy (matagtag)
    3. RAV4 - overpriced
    4. CRV 2.0S - guzzler
    5. CX-5 - brand & service reliabilty
    6. Forester 2.0XS - guzzler / too slow when overtaking / car frame thin (sounds like "lata" when you close the door

Thanks in advance for your comments.
    1. Not quite sure. Possible since the suspension is soft, but typically, for the crossovers on that list, you will need to do some suspension work within five years and 100,000 kms. Have not heard complaints from friends yet. The Fortuner might go longer since it has a heavy duty suspension.

2. True, but the newer one is better than before. Still not nearly as comfy as a Tucson or X-Trail, but no longer vomit inducing.

3. Yes. The premium version is so expensive that it makes the premium Santa Fe seem like a grand bargain. Who the heck would pay that much for a gasoline-powered five-seat crossover? :p

4. Who says that? People I know with the automatic 2.0 are very happy with the economy. The OLD CR-V 2.0 was horrible. Incredibly bad. The new CR-V 2.0 uses the new R20 engine and can get 7-8 km/l in the city (the old K20 was around 4-6 km/l with the AT). The new K24 is also much better than the 2nd gen K24 car, but still not great in the city (typically 6 km/l). The old K24 AWD my uncle had was just as thirsty as his 4.0 Explorer.

5. Reliability is a complete unknown with SkyActiv. Jury is still out. The brand is good. The only problem with Mazda here, really, is that distributorship has been bouncing around from place to place. They were okay when they started with Ford, but over time, Ford management neglected them to concentrate on the Ford brand. Things got worse when Ford globally divested itself of Mazda shares. We don't know yet how they'll do with Berjaya, but at least they seem committed.

6. Guzzler relative to some, but yeah. Don't know how good or bad it is with the new transmissions. Speed is subjective. The Fort 2.5 AT is slower still. The "tunog lata" is because Subarus use frameless windows, which tend to rattle when you close the door (try to close the door on a regualr car when a window is partially open... there will be some noise, too.). It's a moot point. The new Fozzie uses framed windows, which makes door closes more solid and quieter.
    Last edited by niky; February 2nd, 2013 at 04:14 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Quote Originally Posted by WOS View Post
    Negative comments I heard: (anybody is welcome to rebutt them, since I am no expert )
    6. Forester 2.0XS - guzzler / too slow when overtaking / car frame thin (sounds like "lata" when you close the door
    What does guzzler mean? I own a 2.0 XS and average 7 km/l, which should be the average for the usual 2.0 SUV. In fact, of the vehicles you listed, it's probably only the CX-5 which will get you more than 7 km/l.

About sounding like "lata", I disagree (at least with the 2012 version).

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    I don't know about the old EJ20, but the new FB20 on the Forester has good acceleration /torque in the lower rpms but it does lose a bit once it reaches the 4-5K rpm mark (this is in full auto mode and not manual mode which I have yet to try) .

Forester's door when closed sounds like any normal well built vehicle.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    When is the estimated release of new forester in the philippines

5. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    1. Not quite sure. Possible since the suspension is soft, but typically, for the crossovers on that list, you will need to do some suspension work within five years and 100,000 kms. Have not heard complaints from friends yet. The Fortuner might go longer since it has a heavy duty suspension.

2. True, but the newer one is better than before. Still not nearly as comfy as a Tucson or X-Trail, but no longer vomit inducing.

3. Yes. The premium version is so expensive that it makes the premium Santa Fe seem like a grand bargain. Who the heck would pay that much for a gasoline-powered five-seat crossover? :p

4. Who says that? People I know with the automatic 2.0 are very happy with the economy. The OLD CR-V 2.0 was horrible. Incredibly bad. The new CR-V 2.0 uses the new R20 engine and can get 7-8 km/l in the city (the old K20 was around 4-6 km/l with the AT). The new K24 is also much better than the 2nd gen K24 car, but still not great in the city (typically 6 km/l). The old K24 AWD my uncle had was just as thirsty as his 4.0 Explorer.

5. Reliability is a complete unknown with SkyActiv. Jury is still out. The brand is good. The only problem with Mazda here, really, is that distributorship has been bouncing around from place to place. They were okay when they started with Ford, but over time, Ford management neglected them to concentrate on the Ford brand. Things got worse when Ford globally divested itself of Mazda shares. We don't know yet how they'll do with Berjaya, but at least they seem committed.

6. Guzzler relative to some, but yeah. Don't know how good or bad it is with the new transmissions. Speed is subjective. The Fort 2.5 AT is slower still. The "tunog lata" is because Subarus use frameless windows, which tend to rattle when you close the door (try to close the door on a regualr car when a window is partially open... there will be some noise, too.). It's a moot point. The new Fozzie uses framed windows, which makes door closes more solid and quieter.
    Thanks for your insights.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by qman View Post
    When is the estimated release of new forester in the philippines
    Heard from the SA that its coming out most probably June of this year. And accdg. to the SA, the price would be around 1.6M.

So would you suggest getting the existing model at a discount of P150K (1.248M) or wait for the new one (price would probably be higher)?

What's the difference between the existing model and the new one?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Ponkan View Post
    kaya sir mag Xtrail ka na, compare mo nalang specs ng lahat ng model if pede test drive mas ok un para makapag decide ka mabuti plus worth your money sabi nga kung saan sulit purchase mo
    Xtrail is out of the list as I'm not fond of Nissan.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'd get the CX-5. It's the most agile CUV I've driven. Noticeably better handling than the Tucson. Best among the gas-fed CUVs if you ask me.

However if you're willing to consider diesels, the Tucson GL CRDi is being sold at 100k off right now. Then there's the Sportage EX CRDi too. These are my top picks for a CUV under 1.5M.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Re : forester acceleration, what are you referring to when you say overtaking? From a standstill, acceleration for the XS is slow against its competitors, not sure if this is due to the AWD or the 'underpowered' engine. 'Lata' doors might refer to the old Subarus.

As for the new Forester, notable for the 2014 model are a bigger dimension, CVT tranmission, and some bits that make it make utilitarian and more eco friendly (better FC according to marketing ads). Probably a better buy if you're willing to wait, need better space, and would prefer newer models.

If you're considering the 2014 XS model, why not turn your attention to the new Rav4? The mid-spec'd variant looks like it will fit your bill with that 2.5l engine and brand reputation. Saw a black one zooming out of a toll gate, into SCTEX last Saturday and it looked er, fresh heheh.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    kanina morning nakakita naman ako CX5, parang habang nagtatagal gumaganda na sya sa akin, red un color ng nakita ko

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
2013 Honda CRV 2.0S or 2013 RAV4 or Forester 2.0XS