New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Guys ano ba sa tingin nyo ang mas reliable sa dalawa?

2012 Ford Ranger (2.2 XLT MT) VS 2012 Chevrolet Colorado (2.8 Duramax MT)

I'm planning to buy a pick-up this December and I'm torn between the two. I also want to know realiability issues sa dalawang automakers na yan.

All your inputs will be highly appreciated!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Considering the Ranger is on an all-new chassis, with an all-new engine, nothing about the old Ranger will apply. The older Ranger was relatively durable... and one of the few nearly waterproof cars on the road (thanks to the sealed electronics)... the only issue was the cost of replacing the dual-mass flywheel on the manuals when it was time to change the clutch. The turbodiesel 2.5 and 3.0 were tough powerhouses, much better than the old non-common-rail WLT (it was a noisy, guzzly old dog) they replaced... but again... the 2.2 is all-new.

The Colorado is also going to be all-new. While it is structurally based on an upgraded version of the Isuzu D-Max platform, we know nothing else about the mechanicals and how they'll fare in day-to-day driving. Most of Chevy's diesels use VM Motori fuel systems, which are relatively robust and durable, but I don't know if the Duramax will be using the European Motori system or if it's a licensed Isuzu common-rail. While older Isuzu engines are very durable, they've had the odd problem or two with common rails.

In other words... fat chance anything we know about previous Colorados or Rangers will actually apply to these new cars.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Kng sa engine, maganda ang ford ranger, kahit 2.2 ang engine, malakas pa rin.

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    nasa market na ba yun bagong ford rangeR?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    parehas lang realible yan...
    kaso mas malakas hatak yung 2.2 ranger vs. 2.5 colorado based sa road test ko...better test drive muna at compare mo lahat,
    sa clutch mas maagan ang 2.5 colorado

6. Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post

The Colorado is also going to be all-new. While it is structurally based on an upgraded version of the Isuzu D-Max platform, we know nothing else about the mechanicals and how they'll fare in day-to-day driving. Most of Chevy's diesels use VM Motori fuel systems, which are relatively robust and durable, but I don't know if the Duramax will be using the European Motori system or if it's a licensed Isuzu common-rail. While older Isuzu engines are very durable, they've had the odd problem or two with common rails.
    The new Colorado idol Niky comes now with VM Motori Italia engines, both the 2.5- and 2.8-litre VCDi, even when GM-Chevrolet retained the Duramax label that was formed during the GM-Isuzu Japan JV in the US. The Isuzu D-max root name came from Duramax, or in other words, short for Duramax is D-max.

The Philippine-, Thai-, Aussie-, and Kiwi-version Colorados are now manufactured in the new plant of GM-Chevy in Thailand, no longer from the same plant they shared before with Isuzu Thailand.

On the other hand, both the Ford Ranger 2.2- and 3.2-litre Duratorq TDCi, where the latter is in Philippines now but rather at a low-note key, were designed in Australia meant for the harsh scenarios of the Aussie outbacks and deserts, and their style of usage and abuse.... They are also produced at the Ford plant in Thailand.

Cheers!

7. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    *batangcebu, si sir niky is correct we still cannot make a final conclusion on who's the best when it comes to reliability coz both models are newcomers in the market. The new Ford Ranger (Aussie) is more than a year and a half old now and so far wala pa naman major concern when it comes to reliability.

Have you considered the price difference? If you really don't need the 4WD system of the Colorado, then the price diff of Php400,000 is not worth it..

I've seen and tested both, hindi talaga worth yung price diff..