New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    thanks sir GTi. to be honest, one of my top priority for a car is it's performance. i love pushing cars to it's limit once in a while but not everytime. just like on our vios, i find it slow on low rpm range especially if it's loaded with 5-6 pax, but picks up speed as the rpm goes up from 4k-7k rpm. Yes i think the Elantra 1.6 is too bare. and it doesn't have positive feedbacks/reviews yet so i think to gamble with it is not a good idea IMO.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    *GTi : Probably that's why they changed their units to Vioses. :yawn:

Quote Originally Posted by zel.chikot View Post
    what if we use fully synthetic oil that are supposed to be changed every 10K kms? or is it advisable to use mineral/semi synthetic oil because of the high risk on having oil sludge if the oil isn't changed til 10K? thanks renzo for answering my noobish questions! thanks for helping!
    Somehow I feel safer using semi-synth or mineral oil & change it every 5,000kms rather than using fully-synth & change it every 10,000kms.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    siguro nga better kung every 5K using semi synthetic/mineral oil. another option siguro is to use fully synthetic oil every 5K pero money burn naman ata to masyado. nawala yun pagiging maintenance-cheap ng altis kung ganon.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Never had rattle problems with our Corollas since the 1990s.

As for synth oil versus mineral; id go with using mineral and changing every 5,000kms rather than synth oil then changing every 10,000kms. Irregardless of the oil used, the amount of dirt and stress from our local driving conditions is just the same.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    *GTi : Probably that's why they changed their units to Vioses. :yawn:

Somehow I feel safer using semi-synth or mineral oil & change it every 5,000kms rather than using fully-synth & change it every 10,000kms.
    this is will be my maintenace regimen for my unit. but when i asked during my 1st PMS, they only have mineral-based and fully-synthetic... no semi. currently using mineral-based, running 2,005 kms on the odometer.

* digitalron - Corolla loyalist eh?

BTT - +1 to the Corolla Altis...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cjv_justice View Post

* digitalron - Corolla loyalist eh?

BTT - +1 to the Corolla Altis...
    In the past, definitely, hehehe! My family had the SR and DX variants as well way before, and I was strongly influenced by an uncle who was a mechanic and specialized in Toyota vehicles, specifically Corollas and the FJ40.

But nowadays, I'm more open minded and have Nissan and Hyundai vehicles also.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by zel.chikot View Post
    that's the only thing i'm worried of. about it's performance/hatak. what if 3 passengers sa likod, 1 sa harap 1 driver. total of 5 persons, hindi naman ba hirap ang engine?
    Kung JAvanza nga kaya 7 people na 1.3 lang yun. yan pa kayang 5 persons lang at 1.6 pa.

Altis na. Overpriced Honda and medyo mahal pa rin maintenance vs. Toyota.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

8. Join Date
    May 2011
    sir renzo,

i'm having the same dilemma. i'm planning to buy a new car as alternate to my Fortuner 2.4 D4D...

i'm now eyeing for the City 1.5 a/t.... but i saw the Altis 1.6G a/t and deep in my heart, i badly want the Civic 1.8S a/t...

can u pls enumerate the advantages of the Altis 1.6G a/t over the Civic 1.8S a/t and City 1.5 a/t?

thank you

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by waryu69 View Post
    sir renzo,

i'm having the same dilemma. i'm planning to buy a new car as alternate to my Fortuner 2.4 D4D...

i'm now eyeing for the City 1.5 a/t.... but i saw the Altis 1.6G a/t and deep in my heart, i badly want the Civic 1.8S a/t...

can u pls enumerate the advantages of the Altis 1.6G a/t over the Civic 1.8S a/t and City 1.5 a/t?

thank you
    I have a question, waryu69... The Civic 1.8S A/T has a list price of 988K while the Corolla 1.6G A/T has a list price of 894K, a 94K difference. Maybe you meant to compare the Civic to the Corolla 1.6V A/T which costs 955K (970K for Pearl White)?

At any rate, both Altis variants are cheaper than the Civic, but the Civic has a better engine in terms of power and performance (140 ps/6300rpm versus 122 ps/6000rpm and 174 Nm/4200rpm versus 154 Nm/5200rpm). The Civic 1.8S also has much better specs than the Altis 1.6G, and roughly the same as the Altis 1.6V.

Between the City 1.5 A/T and the Altis 1.6G A/T, I'll take the Altis. But if budget is not an issue, between the Altis 1.6G A/T and Civic 1.8S A/T, I'll take the Civic. I'll also probably take the Civic 1.8S A/T over the Altis 1.6V A/T, unless Toyota gives me a significant discount ;)

Regarding your question, I guess the advantage of the Altis 1.6G A/T over the Civic 1.8S A/T is its significantly much lower price, an important consideration if there are budget constraints. Personally, I think the Altis 1.6G A/T gives quite a good bang for the buck, and I'll take it over the Civic 1.8V A/T
    Last edited by digitalron; May 25th, 2011 at 10:55 AM.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by waryu69 View Post
    sir renzo,

thank you
    Among your choices, I`d pick the Altis 1.6G for the fact that it's newer and the engine is refined lately. Don't badge me as a biased person though since I own a Civic FD too. However, despite the FD having great power, it's going to be replaced very soon. The seats for the FD are a bit hard, the suspension is stiff, the trunk is small-ish & the engine bay is as well, cramped & as for the handling, it's superb. For the Altis, it's the opposite. Seats are comfortable. Suspension is a bit soft. The trunk is large & the engine bay is as well big making it easier to " touch " & fix.

Interior bits are commendable for the two. Interior plastics are well intact, quality is top-notch & everything is well .. above satisfactory. Fuel consumption, I average at around 11km/L mixed driving in the Civic while the 2.0L Altis tops up at 7km/L pure city driving which if you ask me is commendable already for a vehicle with a large displacement. So probably, the 1.6L Altis would do a bit better.

The FD is more of a toy car, pushing up the power by doing countless modifications is easy. Handling around the corners is better compared to the Altis ( due to the FD's stiffer suspension ), who on the other hand is more of a city-highway cruiser. Don't get sad though, because the Altis will definitely have an advantage when PMS comes. For the Civic, the cost is quite high on the side & right now it's requiring me to replace the faulty engine support & the tensioner already after 50k kms of use and according to CASA they're asking me 20k to complete the job while I`m expecting that the Altis should be cheaper ( since its a Toyota ) if similar problems would arise.

Bottomline is, both are good vehicles but as of the moment I'd gladly exchange my Civic for an Altis. I've had enough on this car, probably it's time for me to experience a much comfortable vehicle which I strongly believe the Altis can deliver.

P.S. Forget the City. & yes, why don't you consider the 1.6V Altis ? It offers more features which are " fun " to use. Hehe.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
[2011] Toyota Altis 1.6G M/T vs Honda Civic 1.8V M/T vs Any M/T on 800K-850K budget