New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Considered the 1.6 M/T Elantra? Medyo bare ata sa loob but it's an alternative.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    Among your choices, I`d pick the Altis 1.6G for the fact that it's newer and the engine is refined lately. Don't badge me as a biased person though since I own a Civic FD too. However, despite the FD having great power, it's going to be replaced very soon. The seats for the FD are a bit hard, the suspension is stiff, the trunk is small-ish & the engine bay is as well, cramped & as for the handling, it's superb. For the Altis, it's the opposite. Seats are comfortable. Suspension is a bit soft. The trunk is large & the engine bay is as well big making it easier to " touch " & fix.

Interior bits are commendable for the two. Interior plastics are well intact, quality is top-notch & everything is well .. above satisfactory. Fuel consumption, I average at around 11km/L mixed driving in the Civic while the 2.0L Altis tops up at 7km/L pure city driving which if you ask me is commendable already for a vehicle with a large displacement. So probably, the 1.6L Altis would do a bit better.

The FD is more of a toy car, pushing up the power by doing countless modifications is easy. Handling around the corners is better compared to the Altis ( due to the FD's stiffer suspension ), who on the other hand is more of a city-highway cruiser. Don't get sad though, because the Altis will definitely have an advantage when PMS comes. For the Civic, the cost is quite high on the side & right now it's requiring me to replace the faulty engine support & the tensioner already after 50k kms of use and according to CASA they're asking me 20k to complete the job while I`m expecting that the Altis should be cheaper ( since its a Toyota ) if similar problems would arise.

Bottomline is, both are good vehicles but as of the moment I'd gladly exchange my Civic for an Altis. I've had enough on this car, probably it's time for me to experience a much comfortable vehicle which I strongly believe the Altis can deliver.

P.S. Forget the City. & yes, why don't you consider the 1.6V Altis ? It offers more features which are " fun " to use. Hehe.
    medyo mahina talaga yung engine supports ng FD. i've had 2 FDs and both had to have engine supports changed (both are 2007 1.8S A/T models). good thing covered pa ng warranty during that time.

overall, i'm pretty happy with our FDs, like renzo mentioned, quality is really above satisfactory (except for the engine support issue). i would have to say though that fuel economy is not so good (both are 1.8 A/T units, and both average about 7-7.5 km/L city traffic). Parang pareho lang sa tucson theta yung consumption. i would think that the corolla (especially in M/T) is the more economical choice. cheaper list price, better mileage, cheaper maintenance. may "premium" talaga ang honda (i think as an overall strategy, they really price higher to make their cars more aspirational) pero at the end of the day, magiging pareho rin yan sa toyota eventually when you sell it in the used car market.

however, from a nissan lover turned honda user to now a hyundai convert, i'm waiting to see the elantra as a possible replacement

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Yung regarding sa engine support, ayos na 'toh as of the 2009 'facelift' variants.

We also have 2 FDs (one is 06, the other 09). Yung sa '06, bumigay yung engine support pero banda 2009 na so we were able to have the new '09 engine support installed.

The 09, so far no issues with the engine support.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Yung regarding sa engine support, ayos na 'toh as of the 2009 'facelift' variants.

We also have 2 FDs (one is 06, the other 09). Yung sa '06, bumigay yung engine support pero banda 2009 na so we were able to have the new '09 engine support installed.

The 09, so far no issues with the engine support.
    what will happen to the engine support if it gives way? I still have not changed mine ('06 1.8S-M/T) ever since.

BTT: Ako naman Toyota convert ulit... I love this 1.6V! When I let go of the FD, Altis ulit para dalawa... hehe.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cjv_justice View Post
    what will happen to the engine support if it gives way? I still have not changed mine ('06 1.8S-M/T) ever since.

BTT: Ako naman Toyota convert ulit... I love this 1.6V! When I let go of the FD, Altis ulit para dalawa... hehe.
    yung first sign na sira na yung engine support na napansin ko with both our FDs is yung ugong. Parang the engine becomes noisy and harsh. tapos medyo mararamdaman mo yung vibrations sa steering wheel as you rev. very noticeable yun so malalaman mo talaga when it happens.

good thing they addressed that issue already. kelan ba yung labas nung next gen civic?

6. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mda_ View Post
    yung first sign na sira na yung engine support na napansin ko with both our FDs is yung ugong. Parang the engine becomes noisy and harsh. tapos medyo mararamdaman mo yung vibrations sa steering wheel as you rev. very noticeable yun so malalaman mo talaga when it happens.

good thing they addressed that issue already. kelan ba yung labas nung next gen civic?
    ok thanks. I just got worried kase I don't feel those on the car.

Parang di ko pa ma-appreciate yung looks ng 9th-gen. I don't know kung kelan release niya...

7. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by cjv_justice View Post
    ok thanks. I just got worried kase I don't feel those on the car.

Parang di ko pa ma-appreciate yung looks ng 9th-gen. I don't know kung kelan release niya...
    you'll really notice it if it happens kasi medyo iingay talaga. i don't like the 9th gen too much either but kasi yun yung probable option for me kasi due na rin for replacement yung FD namin late this year. either that or elantra lang yung bago.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Napansin namin na malapit nang bumigay yung engine support when the car started vibrating badly when put in reverse (A/T).

When nag warm up na yung car, nawawala though.

Di na namin ni risk.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    *cjv, you'll notice this when the engine vibrates when you accelerate slowly & when you hear a " thug " on the front particularly on the right side of the car when you tackle humps and the like. ;) to replace, it's gonna cost you 10k.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
[2011] Toyota Altis 1.6G M/T vs Honda Civic 1.8V M/T vs Any M/T on 800K-850K budget