New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Hi sirs, I plan to get my first car by Jan or Feb next year. For my budget, I may be able to get a City 1.5 E. But i lile to get a Compact car so pinagiipunan ko p hanggang next year. Kung kkayanin, baka umabot naman sa Civic 1.8V M/T (883k) or the Elantra 1.6 A/T (868k).

Kung s Civic, proven nnman na ito. I dont like to wait for the new Civic kasi parang d ko gusto yung style, plus malamang mas mahal n yun.

Yung Elantra naman, i like the looks plus A/T n compared s Civic. 1.6 nga lng yung Elantra. kaya lng natatakot ako baka in 3 or 4 years sumakit ulo ko. Mahirap at mahal po ba mag-maintain nito? D po ba ito sirain or problematic?

Your imputs will be very appreciated. tia.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If you're not very much into the speed, I suggest you get the Elantra for better gas mileage. Its got respectable power naman, and the design is really quite appealing. I am beginning to see more and more Elantra's in the streets nowadays, this is backed up by its success in the States as well. And so far there has been no reports of problems with this car as compared to the Accent 1.4 which had engine knocking problems (and still it sold like hotcakes). Since it has a 5 year warranty naman, it should be pretty safe to assume that it shouldn't be giving you many troubles.

3. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jkolokoy View Post
    Civic 1.8V M/T (883k)
    Wala nang Civic 1.8V M/T ngayon.

1.8S nalang

City is more bang for the bucket than the Civic. Also, Honda still has some more "prestige" than Hyundai. Some weeks ago I went to the Hyundai CASA in my hometown and honestly I disliked the Elantra, it doesn't look so guapo and feels less comfortable...

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Yung ayaw ko lang sa Hyundai is the cheap appearance/feel of the interior.

Everything else, they've caught up or even surpassed and Toyota/Honda.

I'd say wait for the new Civic. Not as revolutionary as the FD, but I'd say it's the more complete package.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    The interiors of the Elantra don't look cheap to me at all.

Also, if you read car reviews, the 2011 Elantra trumps the 2012 Civic. In fact, I haven't seen a review that rated the Civic higher than the Elantra.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    ^ Yup, the Elantra really trumps the Civic in reviews. No doubt about that. It's probably the car with more R&D invested in at this point.

But something about the interior is really off. The plastics just look/feel subpar.

And this isn't just the Elantra. We have a 2011 Tucson GLS a few weeks old, and our family was seriously considering a Sonata (so we've sat there and given the Accord/Camry a go to make their case). We all felt that the Sonata's weak spot was its interior, but had merits over the competition everywhere else.

There's lot to like about today's Hyundais. Pero sa interior (we probably don't have a feel for the plastics and textures used I guess, the seats are great!), there's just something iffy about it. Feels rougher and less polished than it should.

Personally lang, interior dashboard/sidings plastics is a letdown. Could be just me (and my family) though.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    Honda still has some more "prestige" than Hyundai.
    Honda = More Prestige?

Sorry ha, I have a Honda CR-V 4WD pero it doesn't feel more prestige than our Hyundais.. Pareho lang ;)

9. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    Honda = More Prestige?

Sorry ha, I have a Honda CR-V 4WD pero it doesn't feel more prestige than our Hyundais.. Pareho lang ;)
    Pareho lang nga to the more sensible buyers. As for some of the more traditional oldies... ok lang, sa kanila ko nalang ibebenta FD namin pagdating ng oras hahahahaha

10. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    *mda

Having owned a Sonata, I would say that the only thing I didn't like about the interior is the leather seats. It needs better lumbar and side support IMO. Interior-wise, I'd still pick it over the others.

*thread
    I think the comparo is unfair. I mean, the Civic and the Elantra I could understand, but throwing a City there is a bit off in terms of price. I mean, why add it? Do you need the extra "savings" that comes with a lower car category? If yes, then by all means get the City. If not, why bother considering it?

I still like the current generation Civic. Sales figures is proof enough of its dominance over the market. However, I felt that Honda has taken very safe steps in redesigning the next-generation Civic to the point I don't see why I would even consider waiting for it to arrive.

Honda Civic would have taken my vote if not for its age. And since it's pretty old (FD: 2006) I believe recommending the Hyundai Elantra would be the smarter point here. If I were to throw in a car that's NOT in the choices, I think the current Altis would fit your criterias perfectly! It may be a boring car, but it's a practical choice nevertheless.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
2011 Honda City 1.5E vs Honda Civic 1.8S vs Hyundai Elantra 1.8 GLS