New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jimnyeatworld View Post
    am not bashing your car, actually i'm helping you people decide. there was a time here that we discussed here everything that needed to be discussed in common rail diesel engine. and the reason why we had that discussion earlier is bec. we bought Hyundais 3 years ago while the rest were not really comfortable with Korean cars.

i just read about the enthusiasm here about the Monty's new and upcoming engines. parehong-pareho lang din yan noon sa excitement namin. and that excitement made the cars more expensive and the maintenance more expensive too, however, it created potential problems pa in the future.

----

alam mo taka nga ako eh sa style ngaun, 4x4's are selling like 200K to 300K more than 4x2 now. while some 9 years ago, (when i bought my strada), the difference between 4x2 vs. 4x4 models is roughly 30K to 50K.

and now i realized, bec. of the enthusiasm over 4x4s, that made dealers jack up the 4x4 to 300K++. grabeh! ngaun kasi masisiraan ako ng propeller shaft sa isang old 4wd vehicle ko. the propeller shaft will cost me 25K-30k. and so i checked my 4x2 santa fe, wala siyang propeller shaft.

so yun lang pala ang pinaka-major part to make our SUVS become 4x4, a propeller shaft that is being sold 10times more

and now the advent of eVGT's and paddle shifter, i'm guessing the top of the line Monty will be 2M na. and you're all excited about it?
    With a proper four wheel drive system like that of Mitsubishi's 'super select' system, vicious coupling, hybrid diff, and transfer case, it could not be done for P50,000 or even P150,000. Also remember a big chunk of it consists of tax. The difference between 4x2 and 4x4 is P200,000 fitted from new including all taxes.

You are guessing that the new SE VGT Montero Sport will cost P2M. This statement will become a compliment from you, when the model arrives in January. The dealers expect it to be in the region P1.65M for the Montero Sport 2.5vgt 4x4 SE. As for paddle shifters; the addition of them would make very little difference to the manufacturing price, as 'tiptronic' is already standard.

As I stated earlier; I own neither Fortuner nor Montero, but I have decided to buy the Montero after test driving both. Not meaning to insult the owners of the 'monocoque softroader' Korean offerings or that from Honda; they didn't even make my shortlist. I suppose that is why the thread starter excluded them in the first place.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    That's not the VGT. That is the Variable Cylinder Management with intelligent-Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control.

VGT is a Turbo charger.

Read More: http://paultan.org/2006/08/16/how-do...geometry-work/

HTH.
    Again, Thanks for the inputs. I admit that I am learning a big deal from this.

Quote Originally Posted by number001 View Post
    Are you referring to the VCM in 2008-201x Accord?

What is VCM?

VGT and VCM are not the same. VGT is a turbo charger. VCM is a engine cylinder shut off technology specifically for fuel conservation purposes.

Variable geometry turbocharger

Variable Cylinder Management
    *Sir SG and Sir number001, your message is much appreciated. Imagine if they can build something like a VCM to support a Diesel engine too. This will probably be a breakthrough... you agree?

3. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarchua View Post
    SirbossR, is it correct to say that the VGT upgrade started from the new honda accord? Is this the one wherein it will open and close no. of valves when its needed? If so, then it can definitely improve the fuel efficiency of next year's monty.
    Actually sir mitsu started the VCM like engine long before.
    1982 (according to wiki) and ang tawag ng mitsu ay MD (Modulated Displacement).

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Pero nagtataka ako kung bakit wala nang MD ang Mitsubishi ngayon.

Naaalala ko meron akong nakita na Lancer Singkit at Itlog tapos Mivec MD ang engine. Ganda. Hehehe.

OT.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2009
    OT

Mitsu dropped the MD noong 1996.
    MIVEC-MD na pang itlog na ata ang pinaka huli nilang ginawa at nakita ko.

hindi ko rin alam. baka hindi pa conscious ang mga tao dati sa pag titipid ng gas.

eto link sa wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Variable_displacement

6. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarchua View Post
    With all due respect, I think what people are trying to say to you sir is that there is nothing wrong with Korean cars at all. Obviously this is just a matter of preference. The whole point here is that the topic is about the Fort and Monty. We will gladly read your precious inputs and mastery of Korean specs on the proper thread but should you have opinions re the mentioned subjects/topic at hand, then I believe no one would dare oppose or misunderstand your good intentions. We shall be appreciating your inputs and thanking you instead. Simply put.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2011

8. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SiRbossR View Post
    Basically, its a regular Turbo with the same components. but unlike a regular turbo, a Variable Geometry Turbo has movable vanes. These vanes varies its movement(or change in angle of attack) to the engine RPM. By this, turbo lag is reduced or almost eliminated.

Unlike a regular turbo setup, a VGT has no wastegate where it is a bypass for the exhaust gases not to pass the turbine thus preventing the turbo to over spin.
    -----
    I'm not sure if pwede ma-install ang VGT sa earlier models because there is this mechanism that needs to be installed to move the vanes.
    Great explanation - hindi masyadong technical !!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dBoss View Post
    Great explanation - hindi masyadong technical !!
    Pareho kasi kayong mga boss kaya nagkaintindihan ng maganda.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223
2011 FORTUNER vs 2011 MONTERO SPORT