Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    2ZR-FXE is an Atkinson cycle engine
    ah!
    salamat.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Miles_on View Post
    I think hybrids are less powerful than their pure internal combustion counterparts (for now).
    The technology's not that advanced yet for these "mestizo" engines.

I wonder how robust these things are for our bad roads/driving conditions.
    -More complex, more things to break/fix.
    -I wouldn't be surprised if designed din yan for dealer dependence (puro special tools needed) so it might rule out DIY PMS, but that's the way the world is moving, the individual has no choice but to adapt.

In my opinion, while electric & hybrid vehicles may reduce one form of pollution from burning fossil fuels, I feel they may be just replacing it with another form- for example, how "green" would those batteries and electric components be?

Maraming tanong.
    sabi nga nung isa,
    "you have a non-polluting EV vehicle. but you recharge it by plugging it onto a socket powered by a fossil-fuel-burning power plant..."

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    sabi nga nung isa,
    "you have a non-polluting EV vehicle. but you recharge it by plugging it onto a socket powered by a fossil-fuel-burning power plant..."
    exactly what I was thinking when EVs were introduced. developing countries mostly get their electricity from coal!

pero, later I realized na most power plants are outside Metro Manila (so less pollution pa din)
    some malls/houses have solar panels na

problem na lang natin for now is how will we recycle the old batteries when its time to get rid of the car.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    exactly what I was thinking when EVs were introduced. developing countries mostly get their electricity from coal!

pero, later I realized na most power plants are outside Metro Manila (so less pollution pa din)

problem na lang natin for now is how will we recycle the old batteries when its time to get rid of the car.
    a knowledgeable person once said, many years ago,
    "with new technology, we simply replace one set of problems, with another."

we keep on attempting to hurdle one problem after another,
    but we refuse to acknowledge and address the most basic route problem... unchecked population growth.
    OT.
    Last edited by dr. d; March 3rd, 2023 at 10:51 AM.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2021
    Eh di ba nga when lead was phased out of gas... ang replacement component sa fuel toxic din daw (but in a different way)...

I read somewhere that in the 50's, people envisioned a future of atomic or fusion powered cars, super efficient solar power plants lighting up cities and what have you. Fast forward 70 something years to the present day... and this is the world we get

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    2ZR-FXE is an Atkinson cycle engine
    atkinson
    efficiency at the expense of power.

i guess that is where the electric motor comes in to supplement the output

7. Join Date
    Jan 2007

I read about a project that converted old EV batteries into a grid storage system.
    What happens to old electric car batteries? | National Grid Group

Might be feasible for solar equipped homes too.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Kamiya View Post
    I read about a project that converted old EV batteries into a grid storage system.
    What happens to old electric car batteries? | National Grid Group

Might be feasible for solar equipped homes too.
    yes... but do we have the facilities to recycle (properly) locally

I remember nung nasa PUV business kami. old batteries are recycled to be... pails (timba)
    plates that are still in good shape can be combined with other plates para maging "2nd hand battery"

pero dead plates still go to the trash.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123