New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Which one would you choose if you were going to keep the car for about 2-3 years max? Let's say that both cars are in great condition and since they're 2010 models, both are still under warranty. They are also similar in price. Most of the time I would be driving alone, maximum of 4 occupants including baby and yaya. Daily route would be 24 KMs a day plus about 80 KMs on the weekends when I go biking.

On one hand you have a thrifty, torquey, yet older generation CUV in the Kia Sportage. The Hyundai Tucson on the other hand is more modern, more comfortable, and better looking albeit way more thirsty in terms of fuel, not to mention that gasoline costs more than diesel.

My previous car was a 2007 Ford Ranger. It was a great truck but a bit pricey to maintain, especially when parts/sensors/EGR valves go kaput. I would assume that the Sportage would have higher maintenance although it wouldn't factor as much since I will only be using it for 2-3 years.

What do you guys think would be a better choice between the 2?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by keith22 View Post
    Which one would you choose if you were going to keep the car for about 2-3 years max? Let's say that both cars are in great condition and since they're 2010 models, both are still under warranty. They are also similar in price. Most of the time I would be driving alone, maximum of 4 occupants including baby and yaya. Daily route would be 24 KMs a day plus about 80 KMs on the weekends when I go biking.

On one hand you have a thrifty, torquey, yet older generation CUV in the Kia Sportage. The Hyundai Tucson on the other hand is more modern, more comfortable, and better looking albeit way more thirsty in terms of fuel, not to mention that gasoline costs more than diesel.

My previous car was a 2007 Ford Ranger. It was a great truck but a bit pricey to maintain, especially when parts/sensors/EGR valves go kaput. I would assume that the Sportage would have higher maintenance although it wouldn't factor as much since I will only be using it for 2-3 years.

What do you guys think would be a better choice between the 2?
    Test drive both first. Since its a daily driver, and with such long distances, you'd definitely have to go for the diesel. The old's Sportage's not that much of an ugly duckling as the old Tucson (for me, at least), and I actually kinda like the interior. Addition in maintenance cost you need to cough out around twice a year is definitely not as much as the additional fuel cost you'd have to shell out on a regular basis

How much is your budget anyway? Not looking for any other options?

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Budget is 600-700K only so these are actually my only decent options. I tried a 2010 Innova E M/T earlier and I felt like I was driving a jeep with that ridiculously long throw shifter, no offense to Innova M/T owners. So that is definitely it for me in terms of the Innova. Carens would be too low in terms of ground clearance since I also partly live in Navotas.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Tuscon if the current generation.. .. Since mas bago ang body. Pero kung yung previous body, I will get the Sportage since previous body din..

Budget is 600-700K only so these are actually my only decent options. I tried a 2010 Innova E M/T earlier and I felt like I was driving a jeep with that ridiculously long throw shifter, no offense to Innova M/T owners. So that is definitely it for me in terms of the Innova. Carens would be too low in terms of ground clearance since I also partly live in Navotas.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Haha!~ Is that so? Jeep with a long throw shifter? The Innova's definitely a much more practical vehicle though. Why don't you consider the automatic?

Ever considered the Starex GRX CRDi, or the 1st gen Sorento CRDi? Both fit your budget, and are more spacious and rugged than the Sportage or Tucson.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    I will get the Tucson, and I will get the one in manual.

The Tucson, being a Theta II, will definitely eat up more gas than its CRDi counterpart. And, will have less punch than its CRDi counterpart. So as to "cover up" for these shortcomings, it's better to get the manual variant especially if you will have no problems driving a stick.

It will be thriftier as it's a manual, and, it will be more economical than the AT.

The only time I will get the Sportage is when the Tucson your considering is the old body. Simply because the Sportage looks better than the previous generation Tucson.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Sportage. If you want the ease of AT and thrift of CRDi engine.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    I finally got a car. I bought a 2010 Tucson Theta II A/T. In total, I looked at 4 cars, Two 2010 Sportage EX CRDis and one 2010 Tucson Theta II M/T and a 2010 Tucson Theta II A/T.

The Sportage lacked the "ooomph" that I usually get from driving our first generation Tucson CRDi, and it's a far cry from our Tucson R-eVGT. I'm guessing the extra heft from the 4x4 drivetrain caused the difference in terms of acceleration, even from the first gen Tucson which is technically mechanically identical, although in 4x2 form. Both units also had several deep scratches on the paint. Interior was also subpar compared to the newer generation Tucson.

Both the Tucsons were in excellent condition inside and outside. The M/T had great acceleration, even more than the CRDi Sportage. The shifter was a bit notchy and the clutch took a bit of travel before it engaged. The aircon was also a bit weak and it was priced slightly higher than the A/T unit I looked at. The A/T unit is about at par with the Sportage CRDi in terms of acceleration, but the unit was flawless, had complete service records and the aircon was ice cold. It was also around 15K cheaper than the M/T version.

It was a no brainer and I'm pretty happy with my purchase. It kinda makes us look like a Hyundai fan boy though having 4 versions of the Tucson in the family. LOL