New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by airolynx View Post
    Sorry to butt in, have you considered the Accent Crdi among your choices? I havent driven an FD so i dont know how it handles. But in terms of efficiency, the crdi engine is a winner.
    Humility aside, we have 2 CRDi's (Montero and Tucson) and definitely agree with you that it is more efficient. And that makes it more irritating. These 2 bigger and heavier CRDi's have better FC than our civic FD.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Let's run some numbers:

You sell your FD for 480k, so you still have to add 160k for a Swift.

Given you do an average of 6.5 km/L with your FD in your route, you'll probably do about 9 km/L with the Swift. Assuming you travel 12000 km a year and gas is at P43/L:

Annual cost with the FD: 79k
    Annual cost with the Swift: 57k

It will take 7.5 years before you offset the upfront cost of buying a Swift. Not to mention, you have to live with an inferior car.
    Good logic. I even doubt if I can sell the FD that much.
    And with data of only 4000 km/year, it will take me 22 years to offset the difference.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Maybe the reason of the high FC is that it is being used on short trips instead of the usual daily route. We all know that short trips result to higher fuel consumption. Most people I know who has the Civic FD say it's efficient for its engine size, between 8-9 km/L or better. The Civic FD K20 (2.0L) has more power and faster but only averages around 6-7 km/L.
    Yes sir! My daily route is from SM Bicutan to NAIA3 only. That's around 11 km only.
    However, my wife and son also use it during their coding days. Although they travel farther, we still get the same FC.
    It's more on the traffic that causes that FC.

4. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jcal68 View Post
    Humility aside, we have 2 CRDi's (Montero and Tucson) and definitely agree with you that it is more efficient. And that makes it more irritating. These 2 bigger and heavier CRDi's have better FC than our civic FD.
    Except you will need more to maintain a VGT-powered diesel engine fed by 'dirty' Philippine diesel.

My guess is that the FC savings will get eaten up by your maintenance cost.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Is the maintenance cost included? Out of warranty vs 3yr casa service cost.
    Hmm. . .also a good point. Since my car plan for FD already ended, It's now mine. . .including the maintenance cost. . .huhuhu.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Yes sir! My daily route is from SM Bicutan to NAIA3 only. That's around 11 km only.
    However, my wife and son also use it during their coding days. Although they travel farther, we still get the same FC.
    It's more on the traffic that causes that FC.
    We live around the same area. Bicutan and Sucat traffic are about the same. Sucat traffic is quite bad these days. It's a good weekday morning for me to cross that 5km stretch from BF Homes to Skyway/SLEX in 15 minutes, as the average takes me 30 minutes. It's even worse on weekends as trucks are plenty. On my old Accord 2.3L AT, I get about 6 km/L on my daily route from Sucat to Makati CBD/BGC area. Our old City 1.5E averages 9-10 km/L while the Jazz 1.3L AT only gets 8-9 km/L. My daily driver Fiesta Ecoboost does around 8-9 km/L.
    Last edited by Egan101; July 1st, 2015 at 10:39 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Except you will need more to maintain a VGT-powered diesel engine fed by 'dirty' Philippine diesel.

My guess is that the FC savings will get eaten up by your maintenance cost.
    I don't worry about that for the moment sir.
    Both are still within the free maintenance provided in the company car plan.
    My wife and I will have to sweat it out for a few more years before it becomes ours. . .including the maintenance cost (huhuhu)

8. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Hahaha! there you go sir. I don't think you'll get much gratification by switching to a slightly more efficient gas fed car (Swift) if you have those CRDI beauties in your garage.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    We live around the same area. Bicutan and Sucat traffic are about the same. Sucat traffic is quite bad these days. It's a good weekday morning for me to cross that 5km stretch from BF Homes to Skyway/SLEX in 15 minutes, as the average takes me 30 minutes. It's even worse on weekends as trucks are plenty. On my old Accord 2.3L AT, I get about 6 km/L on my daily route from Sucat to Makati CBD/BGC area. Our old City 1.5E averages 9-10 km/L while the Jazz 1.3L AT only gets 8-9 km/L. My daily driver Fiesta Ecoboost does around 8-9 km/L.
    Its nice to hear from somebody who understands my predicament.
    From where we live, we know that traffic will definitely get much worse.
    Had I known five years ago that traffic in our area would get this bad, I should have gotten a more fuel efficient car.
    But then again, also five years ago, you can still push the pedal to the metal at SLEX.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    I would like to ask the reason for maintaining another car? Is it for coding purposes and as an alternate vehicle? If yes, then no need to replace it since you can use your other vehicles for better FC.

But if you are planning to use the car as your daily driver, then replacing it with a more fuel efficient one has merit.

In general, if you don't use a car anymore, better sell it and replace it with one that you will use on a regular basis.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast