New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    words are cheap. if i want a poll of people's choice, i'd go for the sales count. that's What the People Chose. but where's a reliable list?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    kakagulat! 900 votes nadagdag sa kia sorento. well im happy that it is number 1, pero 900 votes agad? for a total of 1000+ votes? totoo kaya yun? hehe

3. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    The Crosswind is winning against the Innova

Just shows you the credibility of the Autofocus polls. Naluto nanaman!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by XTO View Post
    Second lang Crosswind don't get excited
    crosswind pasok pa rin?? talo nga lang sa safety features.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    The real 'people's choice' awards

by Vernon B. Sarne 21 Oct 2010

Last week, the motoring TV program Auto Focus formally handed out the trophies for this year's "People’s Choice Awards," with the Kia Sorento being declared the Midsize SUV of the Year and--more important--the Automobile of the Year. Auto Focus is produced and hosted by my esteemed colleague (and very good friend) Ray Butch Gamboa. Top Gear Philippines was once again honored to have been a media partner of the awards together with The Philippine Star.

To win in these awards, a vehicle needed to get the most number of votes from the public in its respective category, via ballots found on the official website as well as in Top Gear and The Star. If my memory serves me, a Top Gear ballot was worth five points, while that on the website or in The Star was equivalent to a single point. The main criticism against these awards from the start has always been the obvious fact that the votes can be manipulated. A desperate car company, for instance, could always hire a handful of individuals to hoard copies of our magazine or The Star and clip those precious ballots, or even to create multiple bogus e-mail addresses to be able to vote online more than once.

Indeed, during the awards night last week, a high-ranking executive of a popular car brand did admit to me that up to the last minute, his staff had been busy clipping the ballots from copies of our magazine, which his company had presumably bought in bulk from various newsstands. Now that I think about it, maybe this had something to do with our supposed distribution problems of late. Some of our loyal readers have had difficulty finding copies the past couple of months. We know this because they actually bother to e-mail us and express their frustration.
    Anyway, if this was the case, I wondered whether this year's results--and indeed those in previous years--could really serve as a legitimate barometer of the car-buying public's automotive preferences. And then my pragmatic self got hit by a simple thought: What do we need a voting process for in order to know the "people's choice" when it comes to cars? Can't we determine this just by looking at the official sales numbers? I mean, if a certain car is the best-selling vehicle in the country, isn't that the true people's choice by default?

For example, the top-selling car in the Philippines right now is still--by far--the Toyota Vios. Haven't the people already spoken just by actually purchasing this car time and time again? And yet, in the subcompact category of Auto Focus's polling contest, the winner was the Kia Rio, followed by the Vios. In reality, the Rio isn't even the second-best car in this category in terms of sales--that would be the Honda City.
    Or take the Sorento, which topped the midsize SUV category en route to winning the overall Automobile of the Year crown. In truth, the best-selling vehicle in this class is the Mitsubishi Montero Sport (which at least wound up runner-up to the Sorento in their class). In fact, the Montero Sport is so popular it's actually the second-best-selling vehicle in the Philippines, next only to the Vios.

Or what about the compact sedan category, won by the Chevrolet Cruze with the Audi A4 trailing it? In the real world, the best-selling compact car here is the Toyota Corolla Altis, followed by the Honda Civic.

Meanwhile, the Hyundai Sonata took the crown in the midsize sedan category. This is partially credible, since the Sonata has recently overtaken the Toyota Camry ever since its new model was introduced. Still, the Camry--as far as I know--continues to lead the Sonata in year-to-date figures.

In the AUV category, the Isuzu Crosswind bested the Toyota Innova. In actual sales, however, the Innova is still tops in this class. The same is true in the pickup category, where the Nissan Navara was proclaimed the winner with the Mitsubishi Strada second. The truth, of course, is that the Toyota Hilux remains the top-selling pickup in our market.

The compact SUV category got the right winner: the Hyundai Tucson, which is also the top-seller in this class in real life. But the runner-up in the awards, the Kia Sportage, was somewhat incredible, considering the Honda CR-V and even the Ford Escape easily outsell it.

I'm not so sure about the actual sales numbers in the full-size van category, but I can believe the winner in the poll, the Hyundai Grand Starex. I can also give my nod to the winner in the sports car category, the Hyundai Genesis Coupe. But I'm a little suspicious of the winner in the large sedan category, the Porsche Panamera. I think both the Mercedes-Benz S-Class and the BMW 7-Series sell a lot more units than their fellow German luxury saloon.

My point is, if people have been buying certain cars much more than the other vehicles, aren't these the de facto choice of the public? How do you define "choice" in the first place? Isn't plunking down your hard-earned cash the best illustration of it? Talk about putting your money where your mouth is. It's one thing to say you like a car; it's quite another to write a check to drive it home.

But then maybe Ford Group Philippines' Glen Dasig--whom I consulted just before the writing of this column--has a valid point. "The word 'choice' is a relatively loose term," he said. "Your basis for choice is the actual purchase. But choice could also mean desire. If I desire the Suzuki SX4 over the Toyota Vios, then that's my personal choice, regardless of whether I actually bought an SX4 or not. Besides, if you're only taking into consideration the 130,000 or so car buyers each year, that's nothing compared to the five million potential customers at any given time--who are probably the very market the People's Choice Awards of Auto Focus is catering to."
    Fair enough. I rest my case.

http://www.topgear.com.ph/features/c...-choice-awards

6. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    desire and no monetary concerns.. the cars with the mostest. let's drink lots of fluids coz we're gonna be drooling all day. :cheer:

potential buyers. ah, that's where monetary concerns come in annnd.. we're back to reality.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Given the 'desire' vs 'purchase' argument, it's somewhat debatable that a Sorento can be better than a Montero Sport, because I'm sure a lot of people like it--if they throw a bit of rationality out of the window.

But a Kia Rio being more desirable than a Vios or a City? Really? Plus a living fossil still topping the AUV category?

If that's not a sign of vote padding, I don't know what is.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    totally rigged poll...

dapat me award for the best staff of a car manufacturing executive...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
2010 Autofocus People's choice Awards