New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Focus DSG is the best on the market... followed by the Mitsubishi CVT and the Civic 5-speed AT. The DSG is the most responsive and linear... the difference between the CVT and the 5-speed AT, well... it's preference... most people prefer the "kick" you feel as a regular AT changes gears... to them, that means the traditional AT is more responsive... a feeling that is merely psychological... the CVT's seamless performance makes it more comfortable than a traditional automatic under acceleration and actually gives better performance than a traditional box.

The others... the Corolla's 4-speed is pretty so-so... at least the engine is torquey enough to cover this in city traffic. The Mazda3's 4-speed has a bigger problem... as second gear, the one you'll be using most of the time, is just waaaay too long. The Mazda3, at least, has a manumatic function to cover this up.

Paddle shifters are fine for fun driving, but not much use elsewhere... but any car with a manually shiftable automatic will be easier to use on the highway than a non-shiftable automatic, since you can kick down gears more easily, without having to use too much throttle... again, it's a comfort issue more than anything else.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    So now its an open secret that Ford has the BEST in the range-topping compact car segment.......

I really hope they can win many converts to the brand this time around.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The Lancer, I'd get in EX GT... for the sweet manual transmission... quite a boy-racer... and it has the biggest interior in its class. The GT-A, though, is acceptable.

The Civic 2.0 has a harsh suspension, much like the Lancer... it drives keenly, but the rear end feels more inert than the Focus or Lancer. The 2.0 is dubious value for money, because it doesn't give much of a performance boost over the 1.8... especially without a manual transmission.

The Focus is a great complete package. I'm unconvinced by some of the trim choices, but material quality, overall, is improved 100% over the previous TDCi. In terms of interior materials, I'd put the current class at Civic - Mazda3/Focus (Focus used to be a distant fourth) - i30 - Lancer/Corolla (Corolla has better plastic, but flimsier trim).

I just wish they'd put better tires on the Focus... it really deserves sportscar rubber for the amount of performance the chassis and engine are capable of.
    Sir Niky thanks for your input. I am also considering the Ford Focus but put off by the no auto tranny. Kaya lang I just placed a reservation for a Honda Jazz before they launched the new Focus. I am thinking of cancelling my reservation and go for the Focus. Not the same apples but a torquey diesel and a 6 speed DSG is like a marriage made in heaven.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by minero View Post
    Sir Niky thanks for your input. I am also considering the Ford Focus but put off by the no auto tranny. Kaya lang I just placed a reservation for a Honda Jazz before they launched the new Focus. I am thinking of cancelling my reservation and go for the Focus. Not the same apples but a torquey diesel and a 6 speed DSG is like a marriage made in heaven.
    ser "minero", if u allow me to say so ....
    if u don't mind the price delta of the Jazz 1.5AT vs. Focus TDCi w/ PowerShift (DSG in VW/Audi speak). then i'd highly recommend you go for a test drive in the Focus, and i'm sure your heart will immediately tell u to cancel the Jazz reservation, its that good. it has a nice solid tied down ride feel that u'd appreciate when ur blasting past everybody at >>200Kph (sorry not recommending irresponsible driving here. haha).

also regarding your question about "how does over-boost" work in another thread? i think it works this way... when the ECU (getting input fm. DBW throttle) gets signal fm. your lead foot that you need instant acceleration or you need to leave the rest of the traffic behind for reasons not necessary for this explanation the normal peak boost pressure "X" will be added further by "X++" to give u Sta.Fe II CrDi like torque (of 34Kg-m) for the few seconds that you need them (around 10sec ...). and it will provide you INSTANT SCOOT / ZIP torque to leave most cars out of breathe. yes its that exhilarating, and no doubt will put a smile in your face everytime. haha.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by parakitoJDM View Post
    to ser ITMA, my suggestion "Go for the 2009 Focus TDCi". i don't have to tell you already that it has top performing and fuel efficient diesel engine and best in technology 6speed AT. not to mention great handling, its after all the base car for the Focus World Rallye car (its been the Manufacturers champion - beating Subaru now for 3years in a row!) NVH is also great, not like the tinny sounding Lancer and Harsh Civic.

and after u do get one, please share with us which dealer gave u the best deal. i'm also in the market for one (just waiting for 1 or 2year zero interest) hehe.
    Yes. Am really thinking of selling the 06Civic (1.8S matic) for the 09 Focus. But am a bit tight now (just got a new 08xwind xti last weekend from the casa - for family use). Anyway who knows, It may be my turn to win the lotto this time he he. If that happens, free ride to all!!! Beer is also on me. Ayos........

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
2009 2.0L Focus TDCI vs 2.0L Civic vs 2.0L Lancer EX