New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Focus TDCi, if they only had an automatic though it would have been a killer.... People kasi in this price range normally prefer automatic para may sense of luxury.
    The new Focus 2009 is now automatic. They call it "PowerShift". And it comes with a double clutch. (Like the new Audi)

2. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by tidus1203 View Post
    Focus TDCi, if they only had an automatic though it would have been a killer.... People kasi in this price range normally prefer automatic para may sense of luxury.
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    Wait for the Subaru Impreza Boxer Diesel 2.0L 150hp, Six speed, Symmetrical All Wheel Drive as standard.

Even better, Subaru Impreza WRX Boxer Diesel 2.0L 200hp, Six Speed, Symmetrical AWD
    I guess that will depend on the pricing. If it will be in the range of P1~1.2M, then we have a nice new ballgame.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    The Focus TDCi is the only one that has a 5 star EuroNCAP rating so rest assured you will have the safest chassis available. It also has an above average NVH rating which greatly reduces road noise (the dampening materials they used is the best in its class). The Ford PowerShift transmission is the best amongst the three - speed of a manual while convenience of an automatic; truly state-of-the-art! Aside from having monster torque that's available on-demand, (i.e. very useful in city driving), it is also the most fuel efficient to boot! Ford has really pulled all the stops here. Its only con is that Pinoys in general don't respect the brand (their loss).

The Lancer has the best audio system available, is the most aesthetically pleasing and is the only one that is truly "Made in Japan". It also boasts of good handling eventhough it is really a midsize car (called a Galant Fortis in Japan). However, it has a below average NVH rating (road noise would be more prevalent), average engine specs for its class, has a bouncy ride over rough roads due its 18" rims (looks good though) and it's achilles heel - cheap interior quality.

I'd only consider the Civic if it's the "SiR" K20 197bhp variant. Too bad, Honda deems the lesser version of the engine (K20 155bhp) good enough for the ASEAN market.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    2009 2.0L Focus TDCI... red

5. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggs View Post
    The Focus TDCi is the only one that has a 5 star EuroNCAP rating so rest assured you will have the safest chassis available. It also has an above average NVH rating which greatly reduces road noise (the dampening materials they used is the best in its class). The Ford PowerShift transmission is the best amongst the three - speed of a manual while convenience of an automatic; truly state-of-the-art! Aside from having monster torque that's available on-demand, (i.e. very useful in city driving), it is also the most fuel efficient to boot! Ford has really pulled all the stops here. Its only con is that Pinoys in general don't respect the brand (their loss).

The Lancer has the best audio system available, is the most aesthetically pleasing and is the only one that is truly "Made in Japan". It also boasts of good handling eventhough it is really a midsize car (called a Galant Fortis in Japan). However, it has a below average NVH rating (road noise would be more prevalent), average engine specs for its class, has a bouncy ride over rough roads due its 18" rims (looks good though) and it's achilles heel - cheap interior quality.

I'd only consider the Civic if it's the "SiR" K20 197bhp variant. Too bad, Honda deems the lesser version of the engine (K20 155bhp) good enough for the ASEAN market.
    Correct. +3 to this.

I've been aware for a long time of the superiority of European diesel technology. The fact that the Focus engine (and the transmission) is made in the same region where they also make Audi's and VW's all the more makes the 09 Focus close to "venerable" imho. Plus you throw in the unparalleled European suspension technology - what more can you ask!

We should thank Ford for giving our market the same respect they give to the European market. That says a lot about a company.

OT....
    I saw yesterday at Euromaxx (DW-TV), 2 "designer" audio engineers. They were listening to the sound of the door closing, the roar of the engine.......etc. I didn't realize that even the sound has to be "engineered". It has to sound right because, say, a solid thud of the door closing, will immediately give a strong positive impression on the buyer.

Guess which car they were testing?........Focus Kinetic color orange. Same one on the Ford/UK website.

Need we say more about the pedigree of this beauty....

Just sharing lang po.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Lancer, I'd get in EX GT... for the sweet manual transmission... quite a boy-racer... and it has the biggest interior in its class. The GT-A, though, is acceptable.

The Civic 2.0 has a harsh suspension, much like the Lancer... it drives keenly, but the rear end feels more inert than the Focus or Lancer. The 2.0 is dubious value for money, because it doesn't give much of a performance boost over the 1.8... especially without a manual transmission.

The Focus is a great complete package. I'm unconvinced by some of the trim choices, but material quality, overall, is improved 100% over the previous TDCi. In terms of interior materials, I'd put the current class at Civic - Mazda3/Focus (Focus used to be a distant fourth) - i30 - Lancer/Corolla (Corolla has better plastic, but flimsier trim).

I just wish they'd put better tires on the Focus... it really deserves sportscar rubber for the amount of performance the chassis and engine are capable of.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    I just wish they'd put better tires on the Focus... it really deserves sportscar rubber for the amount of performance the chassis and engine are capable of.
    what are the tire specs of the 09 Focus?

8. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by batangmahal View Post
    what are the tire specs of the 09 Focus?
    205 55 r 16

For the mags, I may replace it though. But tire size I'd rather stay with it. That's the manufacturer's spec and I suppose its the best balance between sportiness and comfort.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The Lancer, I'd get in EX GT... for the sweet manual transmission... quite a boy-racer... and it has the biggest interior in its class. The GT-A, though, is acceptable.

The Civic 2.0 has a harsh suspension, much like the Lancer... it drives keenly, but the rear end feels more inert than the Focus or Lancer. The 2.0 is dubious value for money, because it doesn't give much of a performance boost over the 1.8... especially without a manual transmission.

The Focus is a great complete package. I'm unconvinced by some of the trim choices, but material quality, overall, is improved 100% over the previous TDCi. In terms of interior materials, I'd put the current class at Civic - Mazda3/Focus (Focus used to be a distant fourth) - i30 - Lancer/Corolla (Corolla has better plastic, but flimsier trim).

Thanks for the broad picture.

But how about paddle shifters and manumatic shifting (located in the shift lever). Does any one have any ergonomic advantage to the driver? Or just a matter of getting used to it (not much difference). Personal preference in the end?

Thanks po uli.

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ITMA View Post
    Thanks for the broad picture.

But how about paddle shifters and manumatic shifting (located in the shift lever). Does any one have any ergonomic advantage to the driver? Or just a matter of getting used to it (not much difference). Personal preference in the end?

Thanks po uli.
    to ser ITMA, my suggestion "Go for the 2009 Focus TDCi". i don't have to tell you already that it has top performing and fuel efficient diesel engine and best in technology 6speed AT. not to mention great handling, its after all the base car for the Focus World Rallye car (its been the Manufacturers champion - beating Subaru now for 3years in a row!) NVH is also great, not like the tinny sounding Lancer and Harsh Civic.

and after u do get one, please share with us which dealer gave u the best deal. i'm also in the market for one (just waiting for 1 or 2year zero interest) hehe.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
2009 2.0L Focus TDCI vs 2.0L Civic vs 2.0L Lancer EX