New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Was able to do 80 kph downhill from Tagaytay with a Corolla too. Well I have no doubt that the Civic has better suspension, but really, it's not like the Altis won't turn.

And one always has to ask himself, how often will I run like there's no tomorrow down a twisty rural road. If you find yourself a city dweller most of the time, and are fine with less intense provincial runs that happen around once to twice a year, then you can consider the Altis.

The thing I've noticed is that most opinions here are always performance/handling-biased even if the purported use is 99.5% city dwelling.

With that said, unless you really prioritize comfort, or have a real problem with the Civic's seats, then the Civic 1.8S gets my personal vote. Even if we have a Corolla Altis. That's because even if we go out of town once or twice a year only, and for the most part of those trips we'll be on flat highways where the Civic can't display its suspension prowess, I still put a lot of value on the engine of a car. Easily, the R18A is leagues better than the 3ZZ-FE. It's much faster and a lot more fun, even in city use, for the fact that it's willing to be pushed more. The 3ZZ-FE lacks the urgency when overtaking. Yes it has really good low-end torque for a 1.6, but it's tuned to be a more sedate and comfortable car. The R18A, having the bigger displacement, behaves more like a 2.0 without the generous torque. Furthermore, I'm quite young so I don't find the Civic's seats particularly displeasing so I don't find it too far in terms of comfort. As they're both speced well, with the only nitpick being that the Corolla has no aux in, I'd say they're both good bang for the buck. But again, in the final sense, the performance benefit of the Honda outweighs its comfort deficit and I personally likes the looks of the facelifted Civic more, though the Altis isn't that far behind.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    if i were to chose, i'll go for a brand new corolla altis 2.0 in pearl white!

why? there's the power...there's the comfort...there's the elegance...not as sporty as the fd but the altis can be also, with some mods in suspension, intake, exhaust and wheels (of course). and there is some additional features ,that comes with the altis, that is not available in other brands, that could be a plus for you.

the altis is a very flexible car. but its a true family vehicle.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    the 2.0altis sure is a great car, but it's out of the question if i'll be getting it. though with it, it's like a trueblooded mini camry already...and for 2.0 engines, i think the altis may be too plain comparedto the other 2.0 cars in the market today. and btw, mods are not in my plans for my future car.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The current civic has a perfect size, i think. it's quite big, which is a plus, and it's very roomy inside. With the news coming out that the next gen civic will be smaller on the exterior , it's making me lean towards the current version of civic. i like the idea that the car is bigger, gives it more face value IMO. plus, it may come out by 2011 4Q or even 2012 pa, since it's not even shown in car shows worldwide...

what do you guys think?

Honda is looking at all of its products to increase fuel mileage and lower cost. "We are taking more time to rethink the new Civic and all our models," Honda CEO Takanobu Ito said

The next Civic was originally designed to be bigger than the current model, rivaling Accords of the past. With the changing world market Honda has decided to focus on returning the Civic to its original goal, small and efficient. The change in plans came as designers had already solidified the next Civic. "The team is struggling. We are injecting more manpower to meet our target," said Ito. Launch timing for the next Civic was not discussed by Ito, as the pending changes could cause a delay in the launch.

If the Civic were to be delayed past its 5-year cycle, the entire Honda lineup would be affected, as the CR-V and Element rely on Civic architecture. If Honda keeps its pace, the next generation Civic would be arriving as a 2011 model.

The "Lehman Shock," as Ito refers to it, sparked Honda to rethink its pricing approach. "The easiest option would be to make products cheaper, but we have to not only cut the price but also maintain the highest quality. This applies to all models," said Ito.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by giantjay View Post
    Honda is looking at all of its products to increase fuel mileage and lower cost. "We are taking more time to rethink the new Civic and all our models," Honda CEO Takanobu Ito said
    They could start out by giving discounts... which they don't.

6. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    kung 2.0 ang pag uusapan mag Ford Focus TDCi ka...ask around kung ano ang performance nito compare sa 2.0FD, 2.0 Altis at 2.0 Mazda 3..

Diesel Pa,.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    The thing I've noticed is that most opinions here are always performance/handling-biased even if the purported use is 99.5% city dwelling.
    While I'm of the opinion that the Altis is the perfect city car, it helps buyers to know a car's strengths and weaknesses. A car with good handling may save your life in an emergency situation... say, if you happen to be on a wet provincial road in the middle of the night and a tricycle pulls out in front of you.

Of course, when I give my opinion, I also note what niceties and comforts you have to give up for the performance offered by some models.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by renzo_d10 View Post
    The Honda Civic gives you more excitement in driving than what the Altis gives. And, yeah the +200cc + 1 gear in A/T tranny is a big plus too ;) The seats of the honda civic is rock hard. You can however remedy this by putting leather/ette seat covers in it. The fuel consumption too is a bit less than the altis.

Tested : Honda Civic 1.8V M/T
    City driving - 8.5km/l
    Mixed driving ( 40%City ;; 60% highway ) - topped up at 11km/l

-

The Corolla altis gives you much enjoyable seats. It's soft and comfy compared to the Civic's. However, the Altis has a wallow-y steering compared to the Civics, but I think that won't be much of a problem. ;)

-

Mazda 3.

Old . But the looks is still taking me. Aggressive or angelic, whatever you call it.
    However, this drinks aloott of gasoline.

-

Bottomline :: Either of the 3 you'll get you shall enjoy. But if you'll let me pick, i`ll get the Civic for performance wise -, i`m used to it's seats so it won't be much of a problem to me. ;)

But if you'll get the Altis V, get the pearl white.

Suggest you test drive the three models. Same condition and environment. Then decide. Don't just believe on hearsays. Surprise!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
2008 Honda Civic 1.8S or 2008 Mazda 3 V