New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cta2 View Post
    was also choosing between the 2...

I ended up with a second hand Grandis!... This car has many surprises, very refined... as in mid size car refinement!... space is abundant for 1 and 2nd row... 3rd row will have space if 2nd row will share legroom (just like fortuner)... quite fast too, it can outdrive a Fortuner / Trooper easily... speed and handling!

I got it coz it cheaper than a fortuner (2nd hand or brand new)... the only issues I have for the Grandis is resale (which doesnt matter to me, esp i got it 2nd hand)... Gas consumption is 6Km... on the high side, but tolerable on my end. My other car also does 6Kms

Driving a Van alone or as a couple, might feel weird... it is still a van... mukhang Daddy talaga (can be a pro or con... up to you)

Bottom line with my own money and if I drive...
    Brand new: Fortuner (will do the job, higher resale, will not be weird driving alone)
    2nd Hand: Grandis hands down!

But if I have a driver: Grandis brand new!

just my 2 cents
    i agree, driving this baby by yourself can feel freaky.. got to drive it to the airport when I had to pick up some relatives. It's so spacious and when you look in the rear view mirror.. parang may mga nakaupo sa likod.. hehehehe...

or maybe it's just me.. brand new pa kasi nun, kaya weird talaga..
    pero when driving full.. mabilis pa ren cia and handles very well.. My tito who owns this say, he still hits 6-7 km/l which is not that bad.

I have yet to drive a Fort, hence I couldn't compare, but just for looks, handling and rarity of the Grandis compared to Fort, Grandis pa ren ako.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    just want to add... the Grandis is NOT hard to drive... it just feels awkward driving alone....

easier to maneuver than a mid size SUV (pajero/fort/trooper... which i have compared)... turning radius is like a car, not a truck

its length and width is smaller than a Camry... shorter than a Ford everest

but if image is important plus resale... will still get a mid size SUV

Brand new Grandis is 1.250M, Fort will set you back 1.380M.... personally, its a hard choice!

3. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    The BEST car for your purpose is the Hyundai Santa Fe 2.2L CRDi.

It's a monocoque space frame body 7-seater which makes it so comfortable even for a single passenger. Even fully loaded with seven people, you can still hit 200kmh. Hwy economy is around 15-20km/L (i personally did 21). City is around 8-12 with occassional high speed sprints (it's hard to resist). Angelic driving can give around 15-16km/L in the city (and if you purposely avoid traffic).

It's only a million and a half.

If you don't like Hyundai (World's fifth best selling automaker), then you can buy Mitsubishi Montero Sport.

If you are going to sell this car within two years, then get Fortuner as we still don't know the resale of the two (owners rarely dispose of theirs).

Good luck ^_^
    I haven't seen a Hyundai Santa Fe kick 200kph... not even in Youtube. Besides, the Manufacturers claim is just 180kph(no electronic limitations here) but I know it can hit 186kph. Fellow Santa Fe owner myself.

Nwei, Grandis or Fortuner. Minivan or SUV?
    Ride height - Fortuner
    Interior Space - Fortuner
    Interior looks - Grandis
    fuel efficiency - none
    parts available(maski sa banawe) - fortuner
    exterior looks - Grandis, eyesore na fortuner specially the ones with all the chrome kits.
    resale value - for now, fortuner

Magandang match-up is Grandis vs. Grand Starex - Starex wins hands down by overall packaging!
    Fortuner vs. Santa Fe - meadyo malapit na laban ito!

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    you just need an open road (NLEX, SCTEX and STAR) although sometimes, traffic. A lot of SFs have already reached 200, some even surpassed it. ^_^

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    just adding something from my previous post above (kahit medyo OT), maganda rin naman mga katulad ng grandis lalo na yung subaru exiga. i dunno lang kung kasing exciting and fun to drive (as what subaru.jp said) niya ang exiga. if it is not hard to drive, then its fun to drive

teka
    is it like parang nagddrive ka alone using a grand livina ba? hehehe

6. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Maganda ang Grandis at mura nalang ngayon sya....A must buy dahil eto ang isa sa underrated MPV ng Pinas..

7. Join Date
    Dec 2002
    We have both cars. Although our Fortuner is the 3.0V. I would highly recommend the Grandis if you have little kids. When we travel I have 2 little kids (Age 3 and 1.5 with their car seats) and 2 yayas and of course my wife. I feel the Grandis is the most underrated MPV out there. Feels and rides like a midsize sedan but not the midsize sedan price. I agree that it is very refined. It's a much cheaper alternative to the Toyota Previa. Our Fortuner really feels like a truck after you ride the Grandis. From time to time we also use it for going to the office. For me the only downsides are the low ground clearance and the fuel economy. Average fuel economy for me is 6.5-7.5kpl mixed city and highway.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
2008 grandis vs IMV fortuner 2.7 gas