New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    The Santa Fe gets my vote

2. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    I was really impressed when a Santa Fe overtook me while going up Sumulong Highway. The maneuver was fast and smooth, and there was no smoke coming from the tailpipe.

And compared to the Patrol, the design of the Santa Fe is definitely easier on the eyes.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    ako yata yun nag-overtake sa'yo. smooth na smooth no

4. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    An '02 Patrol in the 950k range is possible especially if you're fine with a manual transmission and cloth upholstered unit. But if you want a leather, A/T unit that was well looked after by the previous owner, count on paying around Php1.1M++ for a 'ready to drive' unit which will not require any repairs (just routine maintenance and some cleaning) to bring up to daily driver status. Most of the Php950k A/T units I looked at already needed considerable work and polish to meet my standards.

Neither one of the two choices is bad. But if you just want something to use on-road and have no plans of ever intentionally going off-road, then the Sta. Fe is leagues better than the Patrol. The Sta. Fe rides better and drives better. It also has a smaller body and a smaller turning radius than the Patrol, yet interior space in the Sta. Fe is generous due to the monocoque construction. And hey, it's brand new! Value after 3 years is not really important unless you plan to sell it.

The Nissan Patrol, at least for me, is more of the 'keeper' car. It ranks it up there with the LC80, MB W124 series and other vehicles which you can literally pass on from one generation to another.

Try to test drive both first before deciding. They drive very differently from each other. The driving dynamics of the Nissan Patrol is the exact opposite of the ideal "driver's car".
    Same here.

And just like what niky said, it's all about what you're priorities and preferences are.

Pero personally, if you are going for interior, then the 2002 Patrol may not be for you. I've been in one myself and I can tell you that it is BORING. If you have kids nga lang and you need them to be silent, then this car has the interior to send them to sleep

In the aspect of interior, mas lamang ang Santa Fe. Exterior design.........well I think Santa Fe has the edge again. . Santa Fe has HID Xenon headlamps (sa V6 version)....ewan ko lang sa Patrol.

So maybe, just maybe.....If you would ask me about it, then siguro between the two, I'd probably pick the Santa Fe diesel........only if it comes with 4WD.

Diesel + 4WD for Santa Fe is not offered here locally (Europe & Korea only). Kaya if you want it, mag-request ka from HARI that you want Santa Fe CRDI with 4WD.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Psst... sa kabilang thread... may nagsasabi na available by indent... pero mahaba ang waiting period, dahil i-shi-ship pa ito. 1.62 or so.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    May 2007
    Then how about

2007 Sta FE vs 2004 Pajero

what can you say about this bros.

I'm a week nearing to buying my SUV...

Of course it's no joke to give up 1.5M this days

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It isn't... but if you're not willing to spend that money, you could always buy an older car and re-invest the rest.

The Pajero Fieldmaster is less refined, but actually has decent body control compared to other off-road capably SUVs. It's got lots of toys, multiple AT modes, adjustable shocks, tire pressure sensors, compass, slope indicator, etecetera. It's got more headroom in the third row (side facing seats), and it's got a full ladder-frame (assuming we're talking Fieldmaster here).

The Pajero has a decent engine. Not as "wow"-ish as modern CRDis, but being a 2.8 turbodiesel, it's not lacking for grunt.

----

The Santa Fe doesn't have the Pajero's suspension stiffness selector, but it has an adaptive rear suspension that automatically matches suspension compliance to load. It works. The Santa Fe doesn't bounce hard over high bumps when there are three or four people in the car, but it doesn't bottom out when you stuff three heavy bodies in the third row.

It doesn't have the Pajero's transmission toggle, but it goes the Pajero one better by having a manumatic. The engine is also much better, with more power and more revs from less displacement.

The Santa Fe's unibody won't off-road like the Pajero's, but it, along with the modern suspension, offer better on-road performance than the Pajero can hope to achieve.

-----

But if we're talking the "new" Pajero... then, yes, the Pajero is a superior car in some aspects... bigger space, bigger engines, etcetera. It's fast, handles well, and brakes well... But the Santa Fe is more economical, with its smaller CRDi. It's almost as fast, and handles just as well. The rear bench is also better shaped than the "new" Pajero's, but I might be wrong... it's been a long time since I've ridden in one.

Don't expect a windfall in terms of cheap maintenance for the "new" Pajero... this ain't exactly a Lancer or an Adventure, and parts will be more expensive. The "old" Pajero, the Fieldmaster, has more common parts, but maintenance at the dealership is similarly expensive... though it's much easier to find parts for this than either the new Pajero or the Santa Fe.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
2007 Sta. Fe vs 2002 Patrol