New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    A car of this age would often need quite a bit of fixing, unless the previous owner has already done all of it for you which is highly unlikely. This is why it would be wise to get a model with a healthy population on the road to avoid headaches with parts availability, and to set aside a sizeable sum to anticipate for said repairs or upgrades.

If fuel efficiency is a top priority, then I suppose the Altis 1.6 is the only way to go. Look for the post facelift dual VVTi model with the 6 speed manual, if you can stand driving a stick.

The 2.0's get horrible FC. If you're getting one, might as well go upmarket and spring for a 2.4 midsize, which gets roughly the same FC and can actually be similarly priced or cheaper, even, in the used car market.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    A car of this age would often need quite a bit of fixing, unless the previous owner has already done all of it for you which is highly unlikely. This is why it would be wise to get a model with a healthy population on the road to avoid headaches with parts availability, and to set aside a sizeable sum to anticipate for said repairs or upgrades.

If fuel efficiency is a top priority, then I suppose the Altis 1.6 is the only way to go. Look for the post facelift dual VVTi model with the 6 speed manual, if you can stand driving a stick.

The 2.0's get horrible FC. If you're getting one, might as well go upmarket and spring for a 2.4 midsize, which gets roughly the same FC and can actually be similarly priced or cheaper, even, in the used car market.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Dual VVTi Altis is over 300k, even for the manual. And most people won't bear with a manual just for an extra 1 km/L.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    I also bought a secondhand car with that budget 2 years ago. I ended up with a Mazda 3 2.0R because it had really good handling, timeless looks, lots of features (leather, sunroof, steering wheel controls, climate control, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers) and was cheaper than the Civic FD or Altis. Biggest drawback of course is the awful fuel consumption at 5-6 km/L for heavy city driving. This improves to ~12 km/L for highway/provincial driving. All electronics are still functioning well, but at 120,000 km I'd had to replace practically all suspension bits as well as the alternator and AC compressor.

I've also owned several 10th gen Altises and it's a comfortable, reliable, but really boring car - no features whatsoever except climate control, uninspiring to drive. I was getting around 7 km/L for the automatic, and around 7.5-8 km/L for the manual in moderate to heavy traffic conditions. My '09 Altis had over 90,000 km on clock before I sold it but had no major issues whatsoever.

We also had an '07 FD Civic in the family and it's the most spacious among your choices, has good handling, and the same power as the 2.0 Mazda 3. FC is slightly better than the Mazda at around 6-6.5 km/L in heavy traffic. Suspension bits, engine mounts, AC compressor and minor electricals (power windows, door locks) were all replaced before we sold it after 100,000 km.

If I were to buy again today, I'd look into a 2005 Camry 2.4V. Consumption is about the same as the Mazda 3 2.0R and it has less features but it's certainly more comfortable, more spacious, and more prestigious. Second choice would be the Civic FD 1.8S but it has to be a well-maintained unit.

Hi, from what I'm seeing, a 2007 Civic 1.8s, have fabric seats, is that a disadvantage?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jokwa114 View Post
    Hi, from what I'm seeing, a 2007 Civic 1.8s, have fabric seats, is that a disadvantage?
    Not really. Leather looks and feels nice but is really hot whenever you leave your car parked under the sun.

Among cars in your price range, only the Mazda 3 2.0R and Camry 2.4V/Accord VTi-L have leather seats. Unless you consider older cars like the 9th gen Altis 1.8G and Nissan Exalta STA. But it shouldn't be a big factor in the decision process since you can always get leatherette seat covers which are fine for most people.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    I also bought a secondhand car with that budget 2 years ago. I ended up with a Mazda 3 2.0R because it had really good handling, timeless looks, lots of features (leather, sunroof, steering wheel controls, climate control, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers) and was cheaper than the Civic FD or Altis. Biggest drawback of course is the awful fuel consumption at 5-6 km/L for heavy city driving. This improves to ~12 km/L for highway/provincial driving. All electronics are still functioning well, but at 120,000 km I'd had to replace practically all suspension bits as well as the alternator and AC compressor.

I've also owned several 10th gen Altises and it's a comfortable, reliable, but really boring car - no features whatsoever except climate control, uninspiring to drive. I was getting around 7 km/L for the automatic, and around 7.5-8 km/L for the manual in moderate to heavy traffic conditions. My '09 Altis had over 90,000 km on clock before I sold it but had no major issues whatsoever.

We also had an '07 FD Civic in the family and it's the most spacious among your choices, has good handling, and the same power as the 2.0 Mazda 3. FC is slightly better than the Mazda at around 6-6.5 km/L in heavy traffic. Suspension bits, engine mounts, AC compressor and minor electricals (power windows, door locks) were all replaced before we sold it after 100,000 km.

If I were to buy again today, I'd look into a 2005 Camry 2.4V. Consumption is about the same as the Mazda 3 2.0R and it has less features but it's certainly more comfortable, more spacious, and more prestigious. Second choice would be the Civic FD 1.8S but it has to be a well-maintained unit.

Am also really eyeing the Mazda 3 2.0. It's just that this car will mostly be used for the family. So the discomfort, as I've read, that the 3 has at the backseat is the main reason why I put it last in my choices. Sadly.

Why would the Camry be your top choice?

On the topic of the '05 Camry being your top choice, will the '04-'05 Accord be also a good choice?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    On the topic of the '05 Camry being your top choice, will the '04-'05 Accord be also a good choice?
    For this generation, the Camry is bigger than the Accord, mas maganda rin itsura for me IMO.

If for the same price, I'd take the Camry.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    For this generation, the Camry is bigger than the Accord, mas maganda rin itsura for me IMO.

If for the same price, I'd take the Camry.
    I do find the Accord better in the looks department mainly because of the front grills. Hahaha. If only I could find a lower priced '08 Accord, I'd get that.

Looks aside tho, in terms of FC, and performance, are they at par with each other?

Also, if I decide to get a Camry/Accord '05, will the cost of replacing the parts for maintenance be much greater than that of let's say, getting the Altis/Civic?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    I do find the Accord better in the looks department mainly because of the front grills. Hahaha. If only I could find a lower priced '08 Accord, I'd get that.

Looks aside tho, in terms of FC, and performance, are they at par with each other?

Also, if I decide to get a Camry/Accord '05, will the cost of replacing the parts for maintenance be much greater than that of let's say, getting the Altis/Civic?
    The Camry of that era has the advantage in space but the Accord is a better driver's car. Accord's are known for their handling and it has always been Honda's best commuter car.

If looking for a 7th gen Accord (2003-2007), opt for the 2.4L model. It offers a good balance in performance and fuel efficiency. The 8th gen Accord (2008-2012) is considerably big than previous generations. It offers Camry-like proportions but still retained its good handling.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Dual VVTi Altis is over 300k, even for the manual. And most people won't bear with a manual just for an extra 1 km/L.

1km/l lang difference over the other choices? Seriously?

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    1km/l lang difference over the other choices? Seriously?
    MT vs AT 10th gen Altis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
2007 Mazda 2.0 vs Altis 1.6V 2008 or Civic 1.8S 2006