New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Hi, I'm back again.

With a budget between 200k-300k, I'm a bit torn on what to get between these three.

How do they compare in terms of fuel consumption, engine performance, extras, etc? What are the pros and cons for each?

This would be my first car purchase, and I decided to go for a secondhand unit.

Please help me make the most sulit/worth it purchase possible.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jokwa114 View Post
    Hi, I'm back again.

With a budget between 200k-300k, I'm a bit torn on what to get between these three.

How do they compare in terms of fuel consumption, engine performance, extras, etc? What are the pros and cons for each?

This would be my first car purchase, and I decided to go for a secondhand unit.

Please help me make the most sulit/worth it purchase possible.
    if you intend to use the car for daily, ordinary use, i would recommend the more popular model among your choices. that way, should it need fixing, which i am sure it will, it being a used car, it will be easy and cheap.
    go altis.
    but test drive each, po. some bodies may find the altis, small in passenger and driver space.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    if you intend to use the car for daily, ordinary use, i would recommend the more popular model among your choices. that way, should it need fixing, which i am sure it will, it being a used car, it will be easy and cheap.
    go altis.
    but test drive each, po. some bodies may find the altis, small in passenger and driver space.
    Very well said. If it was me, my first choice would also be the altis for the same reason stated above. But if space is one of your concern, the civic would be the slightly better option.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    If you're willing to go for a m3 2.0 then consider buying a fd 2.0 too.

Aside from the aforementioned advantage in interior space, it's so much more fun to drive than its 1.8 l sibling. its got side airbags too aside from the usual driver and passenger safety balloons.

when you look into the abyss, the abyss looks into you
    Last edited by baludoy; September 16th, 2017 at 01:56 PM.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by baludoy View Post

Aside from the aforementioned advantage in interior space, it's so much more fun to drive than its 1.8 l sibling. its got side airbags too aside from the usual driver and passenger safety balloons.

Just additional info... Side airbags and VSA on the FD 2.0 are only available on the 2.0S-L (2007-2008). Not available on the facelifted 2009-2011 2.0

6. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    Just additional info... Side airbags and VSA on the FD 2.0 are only available on the 2.0S-L (2007-2008). Not available on the facelifted 2009-2011 2.0
    available din siya (side airbags) sa '06 2.0 s-l bro ( i drive one of those). am just not sure if it's available on the rare lovely racing blue 2.0 m/t variant too.

btw, aside from the vsa, it's also equipped w/ the bluish hued hydrophilic side view mirrors (not sure w/ the succeeding model releases though)
    Last edited by baludoy; September 16th, 2017 at 05:04 PM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    available din siya (side airbags) sa '06 2.0 s-l bro ( i drive one of those). am just not sure if it's available on the rare lovely racing blue 2.0 m/t variant too.

btw, aside from the vsa, it's also equipped w/ the bluish hued hydrophilic side view mirrors (not sure w/ the succeeding model releases though)
    So it's the 2006-2009 S-Ls.

Alam ko lang that the VSA and 4 airbags were removed on the 09 facelift.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Sa choices mo, altis na lang since siya yung pinakabago at siguro matipid na rin kasi 1.6 lang siya.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2017

Nalagay ko lang na isa sa choices yung 2.0 Mazda kasi balita ko, pangit performance nung 1.6 na Mazda 3. Haha

Can't find a 2.0 na pasok sa budget ko eh, sadly.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jokwa114 View Post
    Nalagay ko lang na isa sa choices yung 2.0 Mazda kasi balita ko, pangit performance nung 1.6 na Mazda 3. Haha

Can't find a 2.0 na pasok sa budget ko eh, sadly.
    I also bought a secondhand car with that budget 2 years ago. I ended up with a Mazda 3 2.0R because it had really good handling, timeless looks, lots of features (leather, sunroof, steering wheel controls, climate control, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers) and was cheaper than the Civic FD or Altis. Biggest drawback of course is the awful fuel consumption at 5-6 km/L for heavy city driving. This improves to ~12 km/L for highway/provincial driving. All electronics are still functioning well, but at 120,000 km I'd had to replace practically all suspension bits as well as the alternator and AC compressor.

I've also owned several 10th gen Altises and it's a comfortable, reliable, but really boring car - no features whatsoever except climate control, uninspiring to drive. I was getting around 7 km/L for the automatic, and around 7.5-8 km/L for the manual in moderate to heavy traffic conditions. My '09 Altis had over 90,000 km on clock before I sold it but had no major issues whatsoever.

We also had an '07 FD Civic in the family and it's the most spacious among your choices, has good handling, and the same power as the 2.0 Mazda 3. FC is slightly better than the Mazda at around 6-6.5 km/L in heavy traffic. Suspension bits, engine mounts, AC compressor and minor electricals (power windows, door locks) were all replaced before we sold it after 100,000 km.

If I were to buy again today, I'd look into a 2005 Camry 2.4V. Consumption is about the same as the Mazda 3 2.0R and it has less features but it's certainly more comfortable, more spacious, and more prestigious. Second choice would be the Civic FD 1.8S but it has to be a well-maintained unit.

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
2007 Mazda 2.0 vs Altis 1.6V 2008 or Civic 1.8S 2006