New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    One thing to note about turbocharged engines is that the older it gets, the more prone the engine is to oil leakage. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's because cars with turbocharged engines tend to be pushed harder. With such power and torque, it's hard not to be frisky with the gas pedal. Maybe it's all the extra hp and torque in such a small engine. That's why I prefer turbocharged 4s in lighter, smaller cars and bigger engines like V6s and V8s in heavier vehicles. The FXT isn't that terribly heavy. But it is one of the heaviest turbo cars with that kind of performance.

In any case, maintenance of turbo engines can come back to haunt you later down the road. In the case of my turbocharged DSM, I didn't care because I can afford it plus I had an attachment to the car.

There used to be a lot of turbo cars here in the early 90's and then all but disappeared by the end of the decade which coincided with more cars having V6s.

Turbocharged cars seem to be making a sort of a comeback. Maybe they've gotten better. Who knows?

Add: If the engine does start leaking oil, service it right away because if even one drop of oil gets into contact with the turbo housing or even just the shroud, it'll ignite. It's happened to me a couple times before.

Wow. Buti hindi ka nasunog gaya nung Ferrari sa SLEX!! I guess it's time to invest in an extinguisher?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by pup2 View Post
    Wow. Buti hindi ka nasunog gaya nung Ferrari sa SLEX!! I guess it's time to invest in an extinguisher?
    Fire extinguisher on an engine fire? Unless I have a big fire extinguisher (big enough to require wheels) , it won't do any good. All the car fire extinguisher is good for is to give you enough time to get away. It's not about saving the car. It's about saving the occupants.

By the time you can eyeball or smell the smoke of an engine fire, it's too late. The only option is to get safely out of the car. I wouldn't try to lift the hood esp with bare hands unless you like 2nd/3rd degree burns. Plus, if you popped open the hood, the flames will leap towards you like a flamethrower because the fresh air is coming from where you're standing.

Still. You shouldn't be too worried if you're not the frisky kind. An occasional sprint wouldn't hurt. It'll take a lot of abuse before a turbo engine starts leaking.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Ah. Ayun naman pala eh. Nope, I'm NOT abusive at all, (potential buyers of my occasional used cars take note!). In fact, I think the turbo of my FXT is pretty much 'virginal.' heehee.

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819
2007 Honda CR-V or Subaru Forester