New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    If you have ~700k today, what would you prefer to buy? Buy a second-hand FF TDCI, or wait for the new Hyundai Accent CRDI?

Let's talk in terms of :
    1. Looks
    2. Maintenance
    3. Fuel Consumption
    4. Possible Maintenance/Parts cost
    5. Durability/reliability

Will be using the car for everyday drive (around 60km/day) so it will accumulate a lot of mileage. FC for me is a big consideration.

Nakakainip na kasi hintayin yung bagong accent crdi, and the ford focus tdci looks sooooooo yummy.

I'm also considering the old accent crdi (2007/2008 crdi accent costs around 450-500k). But medyo alanganin yung looks (no offense meant), and afaik, wala gaano after-market parts to enhance its looks/performance.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    1. Looks

I like the Focus, but the new Accent is stunning.

2. Maintenance

Old car = more maintenance. Possible repairs needed in the short term for the Focus:

(highest possibility) Bald tires.

(high possibility) Liquid-filled engine mount (non-critical, but annoying when it goes) - 8.5k

(medium possibility) Shocks, brake pads (don't know... aftermarket available)

(medium possibility) Minor trim details and dents

(low possibility) EGR issues (common for local diesels due to our... errh... local diesel) Cheap fix.

(very low possibility) Variable Geometry Turbo failure (can happen due to abuse or poor maintenance... same has happened to some old Accent CRDis) - 30k for turbo rebuild outside casa, see fordclubph.com for details. Only non-modified, non-abused failure I've heard of came from a flooded unit.

(very low possibility) Dual Mass Flywheel - only local failure I know is Tuason Racing's Focus. These are expensive to replace, and are expected to wear out around 100,000-150,000 kms. The DMF for the Ranger is around 30k yata. Don't know about the Focus.

There are replacement Single Mass Flywheels that are more durable (almost lifetime, like with flywheels on older cars (yes, they have to be replaced eventually, too... but we're just too damn cheap in this country to do it... resurface lang ng resurface! )), but will cause more vibration. Look up "Valeo flywheel replacement Focus TDCi" online. As all common-rail diesels start getting older, we'll see this as one of the big (expensive) problems cropping up... because everyone uses DMF nowadays... aside from the injector and pump issues on the Japanese Denso systems.

(very very low possibility) Injectors - Fords are not known for injector or pump failures, like some Japanese Denso systems get, but you should check, anyway.

New car = unknown variables... possible factory defects or production issues. But at least you'll have a warranty. It's likely the Accent will have the same engine mount and suspension issues as the gas car, but we don't know yet.

3. Fuel Consumption

The Accent was better than the Focus TDCi, so the new Accent should be, too. In heavy traffic, you can get as low as 7.5 - 8.5 km/l for the Focus, but on occassions where you may get 6 km/l on a gasoline car. Typical use puttering around, not in rush hour traffic, you will get 11-13 km/l. The Accent should be about 2-5 km/l better than those figures. Highest I've seen for the Focus, 20 km/l. The Accent can reputedly do 25-30.

4. Possible Maintenance/Parts cost

Bigger car, bigger maintenance costs. Maintenance for any upcoming model is an unknown.

The old Accent was known for eating variable geometry turbos, but this was down to poor maintenance and abuse by taxi drivers, as privately owned Accents and other Hyundai CRDi products don't have problems with them. We don't know, also, if they'll fit it with a DMF, as other modern diesels use... as that will also be additional maintenance cost.

5. Durability/reliability

TDCi Focii are relatively durable, except for the engine mounts, which start clunking if you abuse them. The guys with the biggest problems with their TDCis are the ones who modify the hell out of them and drive them hard or who've had them flooded. Tuason Racing is the worst-case scenario you can have for the TDCi... they've blown one turbo, one flywheel and one brake disc (shredded) so far as I know. But if you go racing, you expect things to break... The worst so far for street users are the mount clunk and VGT failure on modified-and-drag-raced-to-hell cars. If you're planning on putting just 60-80k kms on it before reselling, you should be safe.

Old Accents, when properly cared for, can last quite a while. Again, don't know if this relates in any way to the new model.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    all i can say is, new is almost always better than old.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    If I were you, I'd seek and check-out some actual FF TDiC 2nd hand na for sale. Yung hindi bata may-ari kasi malamang nahataw-hataw na yan and see its state.
    Fasten your seatbelt! Or else... Driven To Thrill!

2007/2008 Ford Focus TDCI vs 2011 Hyundai Accent CRDI