New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Hi po I am planning to buy a 2nd hand car I will be using
    it everyday city driving. First time buying a 2nd hand car.

honda vtis
    mileage - 67000
    plain interior

toyota altis 1.8g
    mileage - 52000
    casa maintained
    loaded interior

Could you advice me which one is better. But could you inform me
    about the FC, maintenance, performance and what should I look out on parts of this cars that needs to be check for incoming problem. I already test drive both ok naman. Thanks po sa lahat ng magrereply.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    What do you mean "loaded" interior for the Toyota Altis? Did the previous owner modified his ride (maybe chucked in a good ol' soundsystem, etc.)?

Both cars are actually still okay in terms of FC and maintenance. Performance? You'll have an easier time finding Honda aftermarket parts but finding Altis parts too hard either.

The Altis edges out the Civic in interior but I still love how the Civic rides. But in the end, I'll go the Altis over this one.

1. 15,000km less mileage is still 15,000 kilometers less of wear and tear.
    2. The 1.8G should have leather seats (if my memory serves right) compared to the Civic's fabric.
    3. The Altis has more available interior room but I still fancy Honda's rear... no center hump

Toyota trumped Honda in that generation. However, since you're at it, you might as well canvass for the 2006 Civic FD second-hand price tag. There's a mighty reason on why there's so many of them out in the streets

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Civic VTi-S's engine has one of the highest horsepower per liter of displacement numbers among compact sedans in the market, those sold today included due to the 3 stage VTEC engine. I'd get this over the Altis for the performance in proportion to fuel efficiency. I'm sure the Altis might have a bit more performance compared to the Civic but the fuel economy would be much worse. Is this the facelifted version already, BTW?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    All stock po silang dalawa mas maganda lang interior ng altis compare sa vtis pero mas maganda po yun appearance ng honda vtis. Silang dalawa lang po pasok sa budget ko gusto ko rin sana ng civic FD maybe in the years to come.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    The Civic with the facelifted fascia and Optitron gauges looks really nice to me. You can get leather seatcovers if you find the cloth seats plain. I'd suggest you get the Civic. It has among the best engines available unlike the ZZ engine of the Altis which doesn't have a good reputation. The Civic is plenty powerful already, owners have reported breaching 200km/h with it. :devil:

6. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    honda fanboy ako pero i have to go with the toyota on this one.

mas practical kasi eh, at mas reliable talaga. maganda din naman itsura.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Having owned both ES Civic and ZZ Altis, Altis 1.8 no doubt.

Used a 1.8G from Manila to La Union and back and it just has much better torque and power on the highway. Honda may have high HP on its engines but this usually comes at the expense of less torque and low end power. The Altis also has better insulation versus road noise.
    Last edited by vinj; January 9th, 2011 at 02:45 PM.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Diba the ZZ is known for sludging issues? Solved na ba yan? How is the FC and handling as compared to the Civic? And totoo ba talaga na may 145hp yung ZZ Altis? Parang ang hirap paniwalaan eh.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    Diba the ZZ is known for sludging issues? Solved na ba yan? How is the FC and handling as compared to the Civic? And totoo ba talaga na may 145hp yung ZZ Altis? Parang ang hirap paniwalaan eh.
    Sludge issues came out on the 1.6L engines and this was with units who did not change their oil at the 5K km mark. The 1.8L gives better FC than the 1.6L as it carries the weight of the car better; my friend does around 9+ in the city with his 1.8 zz.

Driving feel and seat position of the Civic is better then the Altis and the suspension of the Civic isn't its strong point, especially if you got to drive the EK Civic before and are using that as a point of comparison.

2004 civic vtis 1.6 vs 2004 toyota altis 1.8g