New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Im planning to buy a car thats fuel efficient,w good airconditioning,and inexpensive.My driver will be using it in driving my kids to school and back home.(he will be making 2 trips as my youngest is in the afternoon session).Overall distance to be covered is about 60Km per day.Im given two choices 1998 Honda City Exi 1.5 liter Manual tranny and a 2000 FE Sentra 1.4twincam manual.I would have loved to use my 2000 Starex club diesel matic but it runs 6.8km per liter!!Which one is the better choice...?thanks guys

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The Sentra FE is decent on gas... as long as the carburator is in good condition. You have to clean the carburator every 5000 kilometers or so, as fuel efficiency and performance degrade when it gets dirty.

Otherwise, no real complaints with the car. Decent suspension (better than the 98 City), and great aircon. It's just as bare as the City, but it's much bigger.

The City should have much better fuel consumption than the FE, though, if both are manual. More sophisticated EFI engine kasi. Downsides are fender rust issues, "kalampag", and small space.

Both cars have minimal sound insulation. Depending on the trim level, some City sedans had power windows. The FE has manual windows and no radio... but a secondhand unit would probably have one installed already.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I used a borrowed Sentra FE for a few days while both of our cars are out of commission back then. It gulps fuel much to my dismay (maybe it's the dirty carb as niky pointed out) but overall am satisfied with it. The suspension is comfortable enough and interior is roomy.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yun talaga yung sakit ng 2000 FE's... really great engines... DOHC, 16 valve, timing-chain equipped, rev like buzzsaws... great instant response (despite lack of power), but they're equipped with damn carburators... from the stone age!

I've found that taking time to clean and choke your carb (DIY with some carb cleaner at home) in time with every oil change helps keep things economical. Otherwise, you're better off finding a Sentra EX Saloon from around 1999, which has a 1.4 liter engine, but is EFI.

5. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    ano ba ang difference ng Nissan FE vs. EX, both 1.4? alin ang mas fuel efficient?

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The FE is 1.3 carburated. The EX is 1.4 EFI. Mas matipid ng kaunti ang FE sa rektahan kung malinis ang carbs, but the EX should be more economical in all other situations (basta malinis ang MAF)... and it's got more power, too.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    i like the City 1.5L...

its fuel efficient and can scare some 1.6L cars circa 90s out on the road.

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Thanks for the input guys...I got the 2000 FE yesterday ,started conditioning it".I had the aircon cleaned as I noticed the air is cold but somewhat has a weak blower.So that solved the problem..its super cool now,strong blower.I had it detailed interior/engine and body buffing and wax.I noticed that when the aircon automatically shuts off, the engine revs up....is that normal?Since theres no RPM gauges I cant tell how high it goes.The engine is still in top shape still silent and no vibrations whatsoever no oil leaks.
    Another I noticed is the low humming sound I hear coming from the front wheel.A friend of mine says its probably the tires or the wheel bearings.
    I filled her up with Petron Xtra Unleaded.Ill post the fuel consumption next week.Im planning to have her oil changed ,replace filter,tune up tmrw.

My 99 starex AT club TDIC runs 6.8km per liter...2003 Corolla Altis G matic 8.8km per liter city and 14.5km highway.
    Im hoping my FE would run to about 8-10km.

Guys...how would you know if the carburator needs cleaning?..Thanks

9. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Check the carb's idle up. The idle should increas when the a/c compressor kicks in and back to the normal idle when it disengages, not the other way around.

Try mo pa-adjust or pa-overhaul carb mu. Goodluck!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If your fuel consumption dips into the 6's and 7's in the city, it needs cleaning. But you might as well do it now, anyway. Simpleng simpleng DIY (do-it-yourself) lang yun.

1998 HONDA CITY EXI or 2000 NISSAN FE?