New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by taxo_p View Post
    thanks for all the info. i am seriously considering buying one.

someone is offering a 1998 Mazda 323-big body. dont know if GLi or GLXi. yung may ABS daw. 50T km lang daw ang mileage kasi di gaano nagagamit. we'll see the unit tomorrow. his initial asking price was P185k but i think we're down to P160k. gusto ko pang tumawad kasi na stretch na din initial budget ko. hehe! i need opinions about the asking price. if the claims are true: low mileage and nothing to fix, is the price reasonable? what's the highest and lowest reasonable price for this?

ayoko namang magmukhang barat masyado. but of course... we all want to get the best deals. thanks in advance.

this site is a great help. specially for a prospective first time car owner like me.

imho, at 160k, i think its a steal. just make sure na talagang 50k kms lang talaga tinakbo nyan. with the ABS, i think ito yung GLXi variant.

my sister used to own one GLXi variant. ganda ng oto. she had it repainted with Ferrari red, tapos she put it on lowering springs and a Rota (i forgot the variant) 16 inch mags. Tapos pina-setup nya yung sounds. Lakas humatak lalo na sa expressway.

ang mga nagiging problem lang nya is:

a) yung headlights nya, naninilaw.
    b) yung fender nya is prone in catching mud and sand. mabilis mabulok.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    The Mazda Familia is one heck of a car to drive. It will not disappoint you with its power, especially when you need that surge to overtake on the high roads. It will disappoint you, however, with its fuel consumption. I had a Familia GLX (one of the first models made by Columbian Motors back in 1996) with over 110,000 km before we sold it in a sacrifice sale in order to get our latest vehicle. Since it was driven mostly in the city, we got a tad under 6 km per liter over its lifetime. During really bad traffic, the FC would go as low as 4kpl. On highways, we got close to 10kpl. Since you mentioned you are in the province, I think you would get between 6 to 8 kpl on average.

Is this the 1997 and a half Familia? The first versions of the GLX Familia came with Clarion stereo/CD changer, but the later versions (2nd half 1997 onwards) came with a 10 disc Sony CD changer. There were a few cosmetic differences, mostly with the styling (1997 model had the new logo which is in use until today vs the 1996 model with the old logo that looked like a mushroom with a hole). The signal lights and headlights are positioned differently in the 1997 model as well. The tail lights were completely redesigned from the previous model.

The nice thing about the 1996/1997 Mazda Familia when it was new was that it had far more features and creature comforts than the Corolla or Civic. Standard were ABS, 6 or 10 disc CD changer, fog lamps, rear 3pt ELR seatbelts, 60/40 seats that folded to allow longer cargo from the trunk, etc. The engine was slightly more powerful than the Corolla but had less HP than the 1.6 Civic VTEC and SiR engines. Its automatic transmission had a HOLD button, which was useful in uphill and downhill drives as an "engine brake" since automatics tended to shift into the highest possible gear when driving downhill.

Overall, I have good ratings for the Familia in the power department. I also had no problems with body rust or the paint job (still looked good after 11 years except for the scratches). The seating comfort was far better than the Corolla due to the longer wheelbase (almost the same as the Civic).

As for fuel economy, this is the reverse side of the coin. Because it had twin cams (vs the single cams of the Civic), it tended to consume more fuel in direct relation to the power it churned out.

Other caveats: the automatic transmission gearbox components may need to be replaced sometime after 90,000km. That's a major expense. Also, the engine support mounts will be replaced once they wear out at about 80,000km. Otherwise, your engine will shudder a lot when it is idling.

See if you can wiggle out a better deal than the P160k that the price is currently at. With 50,000km on the odometer, you will still have a long way to go before the major issues start showing up.

I think Mazda learned from the shortcomings of the Familia/Protege since they eventually came out with a winner in the Mazda 3.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Sobra naman yang 4 km/L na yan...

It's true that compared to Toyota and Honda, Mazda cars consume more fuel. But it can't be that bad!

Our old Mazda 626 (manual transmission) never gets lower than 5.5 km/L in the city, and it's a 2.0L DOHC.

Our current Mazda3 (which has an MZR-Z6 engine, very similar to the Familia's B6 engine, 1.6L twin-cam DOHC) gets around 7 - 7.5 km/L and it's an automatic transmission and is quite heavy (heavier than the 626 and much, much heavier than the Familia 323).

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hmmm... may old 323 thread na dito before... saan ba yun? Lahat yan na discuss na before.

4 km/L might be possible for an A/T equipped variant (depends on the maintenance).

Though our M/T 323 is currently guzzling at 8km/L.

bigbigcar.com Review: Hyundai Tucson 4x2 CRDi 2.0 A/T

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
1997 mazda 323 familia