1. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    I'd go for the Altis as well.

When is the new Altis coming out?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by boogie18 View Post
    Thanks for the inputs Guys!

thought of waiting for the new Altis sana but based on my budget i doubt i could affor the totl altis if ever, no kc malaki na discounts...

leaning towards the atlis based on comfort and peace of mind i guess... hopefully FC and cost isnt too bad specially that im coming from a vios that gets me an average of 12km/l...
    I've bought cars towards the end of the life cycle as well (my 2007 Altis J is one of them) as I could get good discounts and defects are practically nil already. The Altis V will get you 8-9km/L in the city.

*C4U, the new Altis is expected before the end of the year.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    The Corolla Altis would be the better long term car. The Accent CRDi will be more expensive to maintain long term due to its diesel engine. What savings you might have on the cost of fuel would be offset to the higher maintenance cost of the turbo-diesel engine.
    Has anyone ever computed how long before the more "expensive" maintenance of a diesel offsets the fuel savings, and in this case, the lower sticker price compared to a gas-fed one?

I keep seeing in the forums posts about, "ah diesel mahal yan i maintain, mag-gas ka nalang", but I seem to have missed any concrete calculations to back this up.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Has anyone ever computed how long before the more "expensive" maintenance of a diesel offsets the fuel savings, and in this case, the lower sticker price compared to a gas-fed one?

I keep seeing in the forums posts about, "ah diesel mahal yan i maintain, mag-gas ka nalang", but I seem to have missed any concrete calculations to back this up.
    In the case of my Tito's 2005 Innova G, diesel, his turbo started to leak after the 100K mark. I tried to find a shop who rebuilds but it's still iffy given it's not a fully mechanical turbo anymore, per my consultation with VW Precision. It can be repaired but there's no guarantee yet at this point in time. If we opt for a brand new turbo from Toyota, that's Php 80K to 100K from what i understand and i've yet to find a new part from Banawe save for the Fortuner 3.0 turbo i spotted for 50K a few months ago. Surplus is a hit or miss and there are not too many surplus D4d turbo units at this point. For CRDi systems, if this will need repairs, expect to shell out anywhere between 30K-50K two years back. I'm not sure if this has gone down significantly already.

In a nutshell, it is still pricey to repair a busted CRDi system and turbo. From my experience, expect to spend anywhere from 40K to 100K if both decide to go kaput on you. It also sucks if you're on a long trip and then you get a bad load of gas (ie water contamination) which will affect engine performance as it goes into " limp" mode. However, if you are stickler for maintenance and follow the proper cool down procedure, and fuel up wisely then the longevity of these parts needing repair will still be quite good. For most brand new purchased, daily drivers seeing 10K to 15K kms a year, this will not really need major repairs until you are way past the 100K-150K km mark so this becomes more a question if you're buying second hand really.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    In the case of my Tito's 2005 Innova G, diesel, his turbo started to leak after the 100K mark. I tried to find a shop who rebuilds but it's still iffy given it's not a fully mechanical turbo anymore, per my consultation with VW Precision. It can be repaired but there's no guarantee yet at this point in time. If we opt for a brand new turbo from Toyota, that's Php 80K to 100K from what i understand and i've yet to find a new part from Banawe save for the Fortuner 3.0 turbo i spotted for 50K a few months ago. Surplus is a hit or miss and there are not too many surplus D4d turbo units at this point. For CRDi systems, if this will need repairs, expect to shell out anywhere between 30K-50K two years back. I'm not sure if this has gone down significantly already.

In a nutshell, it is still pricey to repair a busted CRDi system and turbo. From my experience, expect to spend anywhere from 40K to 100K if both decide to go kaput on you. It also sucks if you're on a long trip and then you get a bad load of gas (ie water contamination) which will affect engine performance as it goes into " limp" mode. However, if you are stickler for maintenance and follow the proper cool down procedure, and fuel up wisely then the longevity of these parts needing repair will still be quite good. For most brand new purchased, daily drivers seeing 10K to 15K kms a year, this will not really need major repairs until you are way past the 100K-150K km mark so this becomes more a question if you're buying second hand really.
    where the turbo is leaking?? sa pipes lang ba o sa loob ng turbo?? dun sa kia carnival ko dati akala ko may leak ang turbo kasi pag tinanggal mo yung intake tubes puro langis... it turned out na sa pcv hose nanggagaling yung langis kasi yung pcv hose naka connect before turbo so malakas ang higop kasama langis...its best for turbo engine to have oil catch can

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    A friend's 2007 Strada has run 300T km already and turbo is still working well.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    where the turbo is leaking?? sa pipes lang ba o sa loob ng turbo?? dun sa kia carnival ko dati akala ko may leak ang turbo kasi pag tinanggal mo yung intake tubes puro langis... it turned out na sa pcv hose nanggagaling yung langis kasi yung pcv hose naka connect before turbo so malakas ang higop kasama langis...its best for turbo engine to have oil catch can
    My first suspect was with the PCV as well given that is a normal occurrence even on our own Innova and our other diesel vehicles but after cleaning out the pipes and a second inspection, I was told the turbo itself had the leak. It also boils down to maintenance and i think this particular Innova unit is more on the abused side (no cool downs, lots of city driving, etc.).

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    My first suspect was with the PCV as well given that is a normal occurrence even on our own Innova and our other diesel vehicles but after cleaning out the pipes and a second inspection, I was told the turbo itself had the leak. It also boils down to maintenance and i think this particular Innova unit is more on the abused side (no cool downs, lots of city driving, etc.).
    Saan side po ba ang malangis, sa blower side? may langis ang outlet ng hangin papunta sa intercooler? Malakas po ba ang consumo ng system oil? Baka kasi mga accumulated oil lang ang nakita na langis after sa sabi mo na cleaning of pipes. Kung talagang excessive leaking ang oil to blower side, sigurado malakas consumo ng langis. Yung usok ng makina ay malakas din. May mga kaso na sa sobrang leakage ng oil seal dyan sa turbo charger, ang tambutso ay parang nag pausok ng mangga!! Re inspect nyo po ulit & re access yung condition.. HTH
    Last edited by weisshorn; March 30th, 2013 at 09:02 PM.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by weisshorn View Post
    Saan side po ba ang malangis, sa blower side? may langis ang outlet ng hangin papunta sa intercooler? Malakas po ba ang consumo ng system oil? Baka kasi mga accumulated oil lang ang nakita na langis after sa sabi mo na cleaning of pipes. Kung talagang excessive leaking ang oil to blower side, sigurado malakas consumo ng langis. Yung usok ng makina ay malakas din. May mga kaso na sa sobrang leakage ng oil seal dyan sa turbo charger, ang tambutso ay parang nag pausok ng mangga!! Re inspect nyo po ulit & re access yung condition.. HTH
    Thanks for the tips. They already sold that Innova recently and got a 2013 unit last month so the issue was left up in the air.

The 2.5 D4d has no intercooler so the turbo unit is direct to the the intake/exhaust recirculation. It was the floating exhaust smoke that first brought them to have the vehicle checked (actually dapat compression test gagawin but they were lead to the turbo that time).

BTT: One way to find out how those CRDi fare in the long run is to talk to the big taxi operators who run both Vios and Accent units. Find out which withstand their abuse longer and have lower operating costs after one to two years.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Taxi operators went back to Toyota Vios after trying out the Hyundai Accent diesel. Accents are not sturdy enough for taxi use, under chases parts are weaker.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast