New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    I don't think there are any RWD econobox hatchbacks nowadays. But yes, with all other aspects being equal, the FWD should be more fuel efficient than the RWD mainly because there is no need for a driveshaft to transmit power from the engine in front to the wheels at the rear. When placed on a dyno, the FWD should also make more power because of lesser driveline power losses due to absence of said driveshaft.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk
    but do they, really?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by grss1982 View Post
    A bit off topic but does this concept hold true for hatchbacks like the Picanto, Aeon, Wigo, atbp? Because of being FWD?
    Tiny econoboxes need space & cost optimized. FWDs have tranverse engine layout...allows shorter frontend, less sheet metal. No prop shaft, no rear differential, lesser parts. CHEAPER for manufacturers. This & the efficiency of direct drive, though great marketing points, won't outweigh the pluses of RWD. FWD, despite its practicality, has greater performance, maintenance & longevity handicap. You have torque steer, understeer, quicker front tire wear to name a few. With steer & drive chores crammed upfront, FWDs tend to wear out faster than the simpler RWDs. More frequent alignment tweaks & part swaps are expected in FWD ownership. All those make them lesser seen in the perf premium, pickup/PPV, & larger luxury segments. RWDs, however, can consume rear tires prematurely....esp if one DRIFTs.1.5L Gas Engines on MPV/SUVs
    With the pros/cons known, hands down, RWD>FWD.1.5L Gas Engines on MPV/SUVs

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234