New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Wonder if anyone has tried driving the honda city 1.3 and chevy sonic 1.4 automatics. Wife and I personally prefer the features of the sonic that are not found in the city but I've been reading comments that acceleration on the sonic is slow which is a concern when overtaking. Is it as bad as the nissan sentra which we hear from friends has problems overtaking?

As a reference, we have a 2008 city 1.3 at and we have no problem overtaking on highways. We're not sure when we can test drive a sonic since we are in Lucena on weekends and at work on weekdays.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by roycruz View Post
    Wonder if anyone has tried driving the honda city 1.3 and chevy sonic 1.4 automatics. Wife and I personally prefer the features of the sonic that are not found in the city but I've been reading comments that acceleration on the sonic is slow which is a concern when overtaking. Is it as bad as the nissan sentra which we hear from friends has problems overtaking?

As a reference, we have a 2008 city 1.3 at and we have no problem overtaking on highways. We're not sure when we can test drive a sonic since we are in Lucena on weekends and at work on weekdays.

I just test drove the Chevy Sonic 1.4 sedan and hatch variants. It is surprisingly slow to accelerate.

The Mitsu Mirage 1.2L CVT actually feels a bit faster than the Sonic.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I just test drove the Chevy Sonic 1.4 sedan and hatch variants. It is surprisingly slow to accelerate.

The Mitsu Mirage 1.2L CVT actually feels a bit faster than the Sonic.
    Quite disappointed at this coz we really like the sonic. Is it safe to say that it is slower at acceleration than the 2008 city 1.3 or nissan sentra? My friend drives a car like mine and she says that our other friend's sentra is really slow to accelerate.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quite disappointed at this coz we really like the sonic. Is it safe to say that it is slower at acceleration than the 2008 city 1.3 or nissan sentra? My friend drives a car like mine and she says that our other friend's sentra is really slow to accelerate.
    In comparison to a 2008 City 1.3L, the Sonic is slower. I would think the problem is transmission related. The manual tranny version of the Sonic feels much better, nice feeling smooth shifter.

BTW, I hate the Sonic's gauge cluster "pod" design. It feels like a retrofit... and I feel the novelty of it's design will be gone after six months of owning this car.
    Last edited by ghosthunter; January 14th, 2013 at 09:26 PM.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Thanks for the feedback seems our next choice would be a 1.3 city then.

What we liked about the sonic is the space, auto-fold side mirrors for street parking, 2 x glove compartment, ipod in, steering wheel audio controls, 60/40 seats, 6 speakers, backup sensor, front & rear fog lights, arm rest, headlights and alarm. Would have been willing to pay the extra for these.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    i also done test drive with sonic. ang bagal if you floor the pedal. you should also test it sir. mahirap naman na dahil sinabi namin ganun, ayaw mo na. sayang naman kasi gusto mo talaga yung sonic.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dct View Post
    i also done test drive with sonic. ang bagal if you floor the pedal. you should also test it sir. mahirap naman na dahil sinabi namin ganun, ayaw mo na. sayang naman kasi gusto mo talaga yung sonic.
    Hopefully maisingit namin this Sunday when we go to Cavite, probably test drive sa alabang branch. Nasa Lucena kasi family ko while I am in Makati and I go there on weekends. I can try to squeeze in my schedule to test drive sa Makati dealer pero misis ko ang gagamit so I prefer that she test drive it.

BTW di ba sya nagda down shift pag floored like the city?

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post

BTW, I hate the Sonic's gauge cluster "pod" design. It feels like a retrofit... and I feel the novelty of it's design will be gone after six months of owning this car.
    I knew the gauge cluster looked very familiar.

Overall, the Sonic seemed like a nice car, if it weren't for the bad acceleration.

9. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Hopefully maisingit namin this Sunday when we go to Cavite, probably test drive sa alabang branch. Nasa Lucena kasi family ko while I am in Makati and I go there on weekends. I can try to squeeze in my schedule to test drive sa Makati dealer pero misis ko ang gagamit so I prefer that she test drive it.

BTW di ba sya nagda down shift pag floored like the city?
    bakit magddown shift sir?

mga 30 min lang test drive tapos na yun. hehe

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    Ok lng naman siguro pag mabagal ang acceleration. You'll get there...eventually. :D
    Traffic naman dito.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
1.3 city at vs sonic 1.4 ltz at