New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    We recently sold my wife's old car because she wants a bigger vehicle for our growing family, Both vehicles are available to be purchased from relatives, so I know how well they have been maintained (both casa maintained & not flooded). The wife refuses to look at other second hand vehicles because she does not want to buy a unit from someone we do not know.

Previa has 79,000km, while the Grandis is on 96,000.

Which is the better vehicle?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^Given both are properly maintained, I'd go with the Previa. It seems to be less used (being a couple of years older + lower mileage), it has more interior space and a real minivan compared to the Grandis. Add the 17s from a Camry and the Previa looks very nice. The 2.4L engine on the Previa is also well used from the 2003 to 2011 Camry to the current Previa and Alphard so consumable spare parts should be sourced easily.

Of course, since it's your wife who'll be using it, have her test drive both vehicles and go with what she wants more, and with what she has an easier time driving.
    Last edited by vinj; November 4th, 2013 at 09:15 AM.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    My wife does not drive, so she will be looking more on comfort and space, we have 3 kids.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by TomE View Post
    My wife does not drive, so she will be looking more on comfort and space, we have 3 kids.
    Have her test ride both vehicles then.

Compare also the seat configurations and luggage space of both vehicles to see what fits your use better. The Previa has captains chairs on the second row, versus the bench second row seat of the Grandis, so you might be needing the last row for passengers more often.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Ah, a test ride indeed. I'd go for the Previa personally, coz it's more a minivan than the MPV Grandis, so there's more room. Add to that the lower mileage despite being older. I personally haven't driven a Previa (was actually doing some research on it earlier this year), though I'm told that the 2.4L VVTi is matched to it (though being a bit overmatched to the bigger and heavier Alphard).

The Previa of 2004 IIRC still has a 3rd row that slides. Please verify and CMIIW. That means, despite having a 2nd row that seats only 2 (coz of the Captain's chairs), you get to configure it in such a way that all seats are in use and yet you get some trunk space. The model after that till present has a fixed 3rd row.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Update: After test riding both vehicles, my wife chose the Grandis over the Previa. Main selling point for her was the more flexible seating configuration of the Grandis.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    ^ Congrats on the "new" ride.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Grandis owner here and very reliable car. Its longer than a montero and I agree that very flexible the seating config.

Some things to look out for the front wipers are opposite facing kaya check the alignment since if misaligned may chance that it will each other when in motion. This is easily fixable

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Congrats! Enjoy the new ride.