New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    I'm planning to buy a 2nd car next month and i'm really confused to choose from these cars:

1. 2001 or 2002 Honda Civic VTEC3
    2. 2004 or 2005 Toyota Vios 1.3E
    3. 2004 or 2005 Mitsubishi Lancer

Need your help to decide which car to buy. Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thanks...

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ano ba hanap mo sa sasakyan? Among the three, the Vios has the cheapest maintenance costs and best gas mileage, but also the least interior room and engine power. The Civic has the most interior room and most engine power, but maintenance cost would be higher than the Toyota. I'd stay away from the Lancer. There's nothing much that it excels at, though its still a dependable car.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    For family use but i will also need it for long drives since i'm from the province.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Ah, may kasama pa palang long drives. In that case, mag Civic ka na. I see that the bigger space is a big benefit for you. And then again, if you get a VTEC3 M/T, it should give you pretty decent highway mileage.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Yun din ang advantages na nakita ko sa Civic. Mas bigger space at mas ok pang long drive kc more power ang engine. Kaya lang yung mga friends ko ang suggestion nila Vios dahil mas ok daw when it comes to fuel consumption, mas mura maintenance kc Toyota, at mas modelo. Sabi naman ng pinsan ko depende sa condition ng car kc 2nd hand daw yung bibilhin ko at sabi rin niya mas mahal nga maintenance ng Civic pero bihira naman magkaproblema. He owned the same Civic before and never encountered any problem sa engine.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    All valid points.

Do you need the space? Civic.

Driving by yourself most of the time? Vios.

With regards to maintenance and reliability - with regards to second hand cars, the reliability of any given car may be determined by how well the previous owner has maintained the car.

2001 Civic na kung kelan kelan lang pinapalitan yung langis <<<< Vios na casa maintained.

With regards to the Lancer, I don't see many 04-05s running around. Can't really comment.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    I have an 04 Lancer. Its a great car.
    Wala na yun kalampag sa ilalim. CVT transmission, tipid sa gas pag long drive. City drives, same FC as any 1.6L car.

For me, get the 04-05 Lancer.
    1. Nice stereo, if you get the MX model
    2. Leather on the MX model
    3. Bigger than the Vios na same model
    4. Newer than the Civic.

BUT of course, get whats maintained the best. Yan ang important.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Well I guess I'll have to check the cars with a mechanic before comparing them. The best car condition will be the winner.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2012
    OO nga pala guys, regarding sa Civic, what would you suggest? The MT or the AT? Kasi yung MT walang airbags at walang ABS unlike sa AT. Kaya lng yung AT sa age niya baka magkaproblema na. Kasi sabi nila usually ang AT pang 10 years lng or let me just say nagkkaproblema na pag inabot ng 10 years. Tapos replacement daw ang kadalasan nangyayari sa mga AT hindi katulad sa MT na maintenance lng ng clutch lining.

10. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    The VTI-S models will have the ABS/Airbag ata.

With regards to the AT vs MT. I see our 14 year old Civic EK A/T from time to time. Still going strong, on its original AT. It had almost 95K KMS as of 3-4 years ago when I last got to check it's odometer. So it should have nearer to 130K KMS on the clock by today.

If the car is not notorious for having such issues, a well maintained AT will still beat a poorly maintained MT.

But of course, parts from an AT will probably be more expensive than equivalent MT parts.
    Last edited by mda; August 16th, 2012 at 11:14 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast