New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Acura MDX is always rated on top by car reviews versus other luxury SUV. I read about so many good reviews about the MDX overall, almost nothing negative except the one that said that the MDX is regarded as a premium SUV and not a luxury SUV and the other review that said it is just like an upgraded Honda SUV. Others said, Acura has BMW X5 in mind when they built the MDX. Some forums also highly regarded the MDX (sounds medical) as more reliable than any other SUV.

BMW X5 on the other hand was trashed in some X5 versus MDX forums, it was claimed to be less reliable, way more expensive and it is behind the MDX in handling and comfort.

If you already own a car and you have money to buy a luxury SUV/SAV as a weekend car, which of the two SUV/SAV would you choose? why?

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Uh... For use in the Philippines?

I'd buy the one with local dealership support and warranty. However expensive BMW servicing is... at least you have servicing support.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Thanks for your input sir Niky, the car will cruise the Texas road. I posted this thread here so I would know the honest opinion of my fellow pinoy tsikoteers. BMW North America covers 50,000 miles or 4 years warranty and free maintenance (and car wash) whichever comes first that you can extend for a certain fee to 6 years. The dealership here also offers free BMW assist and roadside assistance for the duration of the warranty. I heard Acura also offers the same thing and both dealership are just less than 3 miles away from my home
    Last edited by qarban; January 17th, 2010 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Last sentence was added

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    This ...

vs. this

?

Since you'll drive the vehicle on Texas, I think the Acura is the best choice.

I`ve got nothing to say more since ... the reviews proved that the Acura stepped on the other luxury suv's.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah. For the US? Acura sounds like the better bet... though I'm unfamiliar with the MDX platform.

You may want to check Consumer Reports for word on the reliability of the two vehicles... while CR isn't the be-all and end-all of reliability that they tout themselves to be (their survey forms are quite flawed), a low score in engine-drivetrain for older models of these vehicles will point out whether you might have expensive problems in the future.

And test-drive. What's more important than which car is better on paper is which car is better for you... and only a test-drive can tell you that.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Too many bad reviews about bmw particularly the X5, and yet I wonder why lots of people still buy them, at least here in central texas I see more bmw as much as I see audi, lexus and mercedes on the road than acura (including mdx), range rover and infiniti

7. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    BMW X5 for me but only in the V8 version. However, if it's a V6 version for both models then I would rather have the Infiniti FX37 than either one of these two since I prefer the sporty end of handling rather than the softer side.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by qarban View Post
    Too many bad reviews about bmw particularly the X5, and yet I wonder why lots of people still buy them, at least here in central texas I see more bmw as much as I see audi, lexus and mercedes on the road than acura (including mdx), range rover and infiniti
    Because it looks great and drives nice. Niggles with electronics aside, the X5 is a good premium truck and it carries the badge and snob appeal to bring in new buyers.

9. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    I visited both dealerships yesterday for a drive test and I ended up choosing the X5 over MDX. I fortunately found one on their very huge lot that fits the specs and options I need, so I was able to bring home my new X5 on the same day. I chose the V6 engine because it is less expensive and I don't need the too much power of a V8, yes the V8 is quicker and has bigger/wider tires and chrome kidney grilles, but that's about it.

In opposite to the reviews and forums I read about these 2 vehicles, I did not expect that the X5 gives a smoother ride, very comfy and quiet. I found the MDX not braking well, but it accelerates faster than the X5, but it really felt like an upgraded Pilot for me. Visibility is better in the X5. The side mirrors and the far back windows are bigger.

Some reviews and forums said the interior is too plain in the X5, but I loved the interior! It looks more luxurious! I loved the idrive that controls the whole lot on the X5. The MDX is like a fighter jet, it has one hundred buttons, you have to press different buttons for a/c, navigation and audio (of course anybody will get used to it later) and there is no split screen like the X5 where you can have navigation on and music displayed at the same time in an 8.5" lcd.

One thing I noticed when I sat in the MDX is how hard and uncomfortable the driver’s seat is. It has roomy interior than the X5 though

I'm not really sure if I like the exterior of the MDX, it is very futuristic. I can't quite figure out if it's actually the design that I can get used to, it is like an autobot. For me, the X5 is better looking than the MDX inside and out (and that is only my own opinion).

For me, both are great vehicles and perform very similarly. I agree that MDX is more reliable and more powerful, but I believe that some people will get lucky with their X5 and some will be unlucky with their MDX, there are no guarantees. Each vehicle has their strong points, but the overall differences between the two are minor except the price tag. A loaded MDX will cost far less than a loaded X5, and that might be an issue for those who consider both vehicles. Again, the X5 is pricier, but (I believe) it worth it. Other than that it looks better for me and the X5 has always have the edge in terms of prestige because of the BMW badge it carries.

I am very happy with my decision and I really enjoy driving this ultimate driving machine but I must also admit that it bring more worries because of the reliability issue, I hope I won't regret it!

Can someone teach me how to post pictures? When I hit insert image I am being asked for a url of the image being attached, I am not even allowed to post attachment, thanks!

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Which six cylinder did you get (by the way, BMW doesn't use V6s... they use straight sixes. That's what gives them their distinctly different exhaust note...

Did you get the twin-turbo 3 liter or the naturally aspirated one?

To post pics, sign up for a free photo-hosting service like photobucket or imageshack (many guys here prefer photobucket) then use the sharing code for forums that those sites give for each picture after you upload them. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
X5 versus MDX