The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Forester XT - 240 ps, 0-100 in about 7.5s
    Camry 2.5 - 178 ps, 0-100 in about 9.5s
    Camry 3.5 - 277 ps, 0-100 in about 6.5s
    interesting how fast their accelerations are when most of them are just stucked in NCR traffic

2. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    I agree with some of the reasons being rear seat comfort (for the driven), space and "dating". I'd add that mid sized sedans are more "dressy" if you'd like. SUV's to me look more casual and while some can do double duty as transportation for weddings, formal dinners and such, executive mid sized sedans just complement these occasions better. Like dress shoes and watches for suits.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Puro OT its a luxury car thread.

OP is asking why we buy big cars not xt. You don't want to compare the xt vs our x5.

So back to regular programming.
    Last edited by jasonub; February 18th, 2015 at 12:22 PM.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Comparing an XT to an X5 isn't very helpful because an X5 costs over thrice as much as an XT. But an XT costs about the same as a mid-spec/TOTL midsizer and has similar features, with of course some of its own advantages (ride height, practicality) and disadvantages (comfort, NVH). The perception of others is highly subjective - most think SUVs are classier, others think midsizers are classier.

In terms of what buyers actually get though, CUVs and ladder-frame SUVs far outsell midsizers since the prevalence of the former in the 2000's.

Anyone who was exposed to cars in the 90s probably still has that notion that midsizers are classy executive choices. But for most people and families who've bought their first cars in the 2000s, midsizers don't even get a second look. Reasons may vary - whether it's a matter of practicality or because they just don't see the supposed exclusivity of large Jap sedans anymore, but the reality is that midsizers only sell by the hundreds while CUVs/SUVs sell by the thousands.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Still Off Topic. We buy and drive midsizers because.....

6. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonub View Post
    Because it's a daddy or lolo car We used to have a Toyota Crown and I found that it suits older people better

7. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Because its assigned to you by the company.
    Because you prefer the comforts of a car than an SUV / CUV.
    Because you don't want other brands that attract too much attention.
    Because you don't want to spend as much like the Euro owners.
    Because your image is important, but you want to be low key.
    Because you don't have a huge family.
    Because you don't want to drive.
    Because you can transport your parents and grandparents without the trouble of climbing an SUV/ CUV.

;-)

8. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    There will come a point that the buyer will reach Daddy age (with children who drive already or empty nesters) or become a lolo, lola

Tapos na sila sa stage of strollers and baggage of kids, most of the time, they had a CUV or an SUV at some point...

Then, normally at that stage... they buy the mid size car, for dual purpose (being driven, or driving it)

I still believe there is a market for it...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonub View Post
    Because we can? :D

If I can afford the entry price, higher registration fees and insurance costs, I'd always get a mid sizer. Even on the second hand market, i see good buy midsizers worth the while because they generally have lower resale value due to fuel consumption and maintenance concerns of most buyers. And they're often not as used as the eco cars on the used car market.

Back in college, i used to alternate my daily drive pick-up with an A32 Cefiro. The A32 even in stock form was waaay better than the sea of modded Civic VTis and SiRs which were the staple dudemobiles that time. When i drive out of town, i never felt tired with the mid sizer either as it was comfortable, and power was on-tap so you don't have to push the car too hard to get ahead. FC is also respectable and not as gas guzzling as a gasoline SUV. Heck, the current gen Camry 2.5 and 3.5 i understand gets pretty decent economy numbers.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    You buy it for the space & comfort it offers.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast