New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Jun aka Pekto View Post
    Do you really want to aggravate yourself with a car and driving it around Metro Manila? Not me. I'll take an air-conditioned bus, sit back, relax, take a nap......keep my blood pressure from boiling
    yeep! lovin' the p2p and wish all busses are like that. I have to drive to the terminal and park though.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Do you really want to aggravate yourself with a car and driving it around Metro Manila? Not me. I'll take an air-conditioned bus, sit back, relax, take a nap......keep my blood pressure from boiling
    Brother, not all places are conveniently accessible by bus.

For example, my home-to-office route requires me to take a trike, then a jeep, then a train ride, then another jeep or bus ride, then a bit of a walk.

Take note that the train/jeep/bus rides are also subject to long queues in the morning. Total of about an hour to an hour and a half.

In comparison, by car, it's a 20-minute drive.

Heck, even in routes accessible by one bus ride, the travel time is still much longer. For example, Taft to Fairview is one bus ride away. It takes 2-3 hours by bus to traverse this 20 km route during rush hour, not counting the 15-30 minutes you have to wait to find a bus that's not jam-packed/SRO. Plus the risk of getting pickpocketed or catcalled (if you're a girl). By car, 1.5-2 hours in a safer, more comfortable manner.

I've spent more than half of my life commuting, and I can say with complete certainty that having a car is still much more convenient, traffic and parking woes considered.

Perhaps your time back in the Philippines decades ago, plus occassional visits every now and then have shaped that opinion of yours. I believe that if you actually spend time living in Manila today, your views would change

Sent from my SM-N9208 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Talagang makakapag relax ka sa bus dahil yung 30mins. trip aabutin ng 2-3hrs.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2015
    add to that you have to be on your guard parati sa public transpo dahil sa mga hold ups, pick pockets etc. And then pag nagkasabay sabay ang dagsa ng tao + walang masakyan + umuulan.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Perhaps your time back in the Philippines decades ago, plus occassional visits every now and then have shaped that opinion of yours. I believe that if you actually spend time living in Manila today, your views would change
    All the stuff I did took place in 2013. When it comes to gridlock, it's a bit worse than compared to two decades ago. But, it's not much worse. The one factor that I didn't notice, but would have made a big difference, is I was not time-constrained to get to my destination. I could get to my destination without concern whether I would be late or not.

My main concern was my condition during the commute. I was far less stressed out because I didn't have to concentrate my attention every moment. I was able to close my eyes and take a snooze which wasn't hard in the bus. I was pretty fresh every time we arrived at out destination.

Compare that to an earlier trip when my brother in law drove me to the same destination. He was stressing out a lot during the round trip. Perhaps, it was just that particular day. But, he had a slew of near misses. For a quiet guy, he was frazzled. So much so, I decided to commute instead with one of my wife's relatives picking me up and accompanying me. I recall thinking if that was my brother in law's daily routine, he's not going to live long. Unfortunately, on more than one occasion when I rode with him, he was cussing because of driving situations that weren't his fault.

Obviously, my location made many things convenient, which may not reflect other people's experiences. Perhaps, on my next visit, I'll go with a cousin who routinely drives between Subic and Cavite.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The one factor that I didn't notice, but would have made a big difference, is I was not time-constrained to get to my destination. I could get to my destination without concern whether I would be late or not.

My main concern was my condition during the commute. I was far less stressed out because I didn't have to concentrate my attention every moment. I was able to close my eyes and take a snooze which wasn't hard in the bus. I was pretty fresh every time we arrived at out destination.

Compare that to an earlier trip when my brother in law drove me to the same destination. He was stressing out a lot during the round trip. Perhaps, it was just that particular day. But, he had a slew of near misses. For a quiet guy, he was frazzled. So much so, I decided to commute instead with one of my wife's relatives picking me up and accompanying me. I recall thinking if that was my brother in law's daily routine, he's not going to live long. Unfortunately, on more than one occasion when I rode with him, he was cussing because of driving situations that weren't his fault.

Obviously, my location made many things convenient, which may not reflect other people's experiences. Perhaps, on my next visit, I'll go with a cousin who routinely drives between Subic and Cavite.
    You are correct to point out that the terms of your commute do matter.

If you are a wage earner who has to be in at 8:30am, and head home at 5:30pm (or a retail store employee who gets out at 9:30 to 10:30pm) on a daily basis, rain or shine, it is a different story. You will really feel for those waiting on the side of the road, or waiting in line at the terminal late at night and in the rain. People deserve better indeed.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    All the stuff I did took place in 2013. When it comes to gridlock, it's a bit worse than compared to two decades ago. But, it's not much worse. The one factor that I didn't notice, but would have made a big difference, is I was not time-constrained to get to my destination. I could get to my destination without concern whether I would be late or not.

2013 traffic was a lot better than 2017. Heck, even 2015 and 2016 seemed better. Proximity to work/school now matters that much more.
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; June 8th, 2017 at 01:43 PM.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r View Post
    2013 traffic was a lot better than 2017. Heck, even 2015 and 2016 seemed better. Proximity to work/school now matter that much more.
    I agree 1000%. Back in 2013 it only took me 15 to 20 mins to and from the office. Now it's 40 to 50 mins. I bought my car in 2014 and I was insisting on a manual because my route has no traffic. I'm glad I listened to my Kuya and friend to get an A/T. Starting 2016 wala ng patay na oras sa traffic.

1 km takes me 30 mins in rush hour...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by _Cathy_ View Post
    I agree 1000%. Back in 2013 it only took me 15 to 20 mins to and from the office. Now it's 40 to 50 mins. I bought my car in 2014 and I was insisting on a manual because my route has no traffic. I'm glad I listened to my Kuya and friend to get an A/T. Starting 2016 wala ng patay na oras sa traffic.

1 km takes me 30 mins in rush hour...

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk
    Good at least that you're relatively close by Cath. But yeah, still terrible. I hear the 1 hour it took to get from Makati to somewhere else in Makati is now 1 hour 20 minutes. I suddenly miss summer. Schools contribute so much to traffic.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Why are cars in the Philippines expensive?