New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Hi Tsikot members, I need your expertise on what's the best second hand all-around vehicle my 450K can buy. I've already gone through so many threads on different automobiles here but since everyone's been so helpful to everyone else, I thought I'd take the plunge and create my own thread.

Here are my concerns:

1. I'll be using the vehicle mostly around the city and with my newborn baby. I foresee my husband will be using it to lug around bulky stuff for his business. We like to take out-of-town trips every weekend or so and the vehicle will be subject to rough roads.

2. We're first time owners and not that knowledgeable about cars (although we're very keen on learning -- syempre excited about the new purchase). We're also based in the province -- there are no "casas" here. We have to drive to the bigger cities if we need casa service. Finding a knowledgeable mechanic and car parts also might be difficult.

3. With our new baby as our main focus, the vehicle has to be inexpensive to maintain and of course, as fuel efficient as possible.

So you see, we need an all-around vehicle. So far, I've narrowed down my choices to diesel-fed SUV/AUV/pickup types. I have the Hyundai Santa Fe (1st gen), Kia Sorento (1st gen), Ford Everest and the Isuzu Crosswind XT/XTO shortlisted.

I feel like I should be looking at more models so here I am asking for your help! Please help! Thank you

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    From your four vehicles listed, your best option would be the Crosswind. Parts would be easier to get. Comfort isn't that high on this vehicle though since it's a dinosaur in terms of design.

Other vehicles you might want to check would be the pickups like the Toyota HILUX (with crewcab).

3. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Thank you for the quick reply ghosthunter. The Crosswind is what my parents picked out of my choices too because (1) they have tried and tested the exact model and (2) they're old school -- they don't trust Kia and Hyundai.

We were looking at the Toyota Hilux at first but there's Hilux and then there's Hilux Surf. Which should I shop for? I also feel like it would be too much for me to just drive and park around the city, although I have used a Mitsubishi L300 van and a Toyota Fortuner before.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    aside from the xwind, the Sta. Fe would be good.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    kung ako lang siguro suzuki jimny ang kukunin ko... tamang tama pang ikot ikot lalo na kung isa ka lang lagi na sakay

6. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    *TS: Toyota Innova J (or E) fits your bill.

Comfortable
    Seats 7-8
    Higher ground clearance
    Good for long drives
    Has large cargo space
    Good FC

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaela View Post
    Thank you for the quick reply ghosthunter. The Crosswind is what my parents picked out of my choices too because (1) they have tried and tested the exact model and (2) they're old school -- they don't trust Kia and Hyundai.

We were looking at the Toyota Hilux at first but there's Hilux and then there's Hilux Surf. Which should I shop for? I also feel like it would be too much for me to just drive and park around the city, although I have used a Mitsubishi L300 van and a Toyota Fortuner before.
    Even the Crosswind is a bit tough to drive and park in the city, although its shorter, its still bulky and hard to park in narrow areas.

With regards to the HILUX SURF...
    LINK: Toyota Hilux Surf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Based on the article from Wiki, it's the predecessor to the Toyota Fortuner.

Choosing between the HILUX and HILUX SURF, you might be better off with the SURF because the rear cargo area is lockable for the security of the stuff in the back.

8. Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Thank you for your very valuable inputs!

1D4LV: The old Hyundai Santa Fe is what I really want (and can afford with some leftover for after-purchase repairs). The ones sold here are the Korea surplus ones and there are many buyers of those types of cars here in our area so I'm hoping there are mechanics and car shops who know how to service them. I have to research more on surplus automobiles.

yapoy86: Naku, super liit nung Jimny at baka mapanganak ako ng di oras sa sobrang tagtag if we use it on rough provincial roads.

garfield_08: We were able to test our friend's Toyota Innova on one of our long drives and sadly, it wasn't to our liking.

ghosthunter: I use my parents' Crosswind whenever I visit them and it's ok for me to drive. But to be honest, getting the Crosswind wouldn't be as exciting as the other vehicles. It's such a blah car, like the Mistubishi Adventure and Toyota Revo (which other people have suggested to us but they're just so unattractive to me -- sorry). I'm beginning to like the Hilux! The second hand ones usually have high mileage though so I have to look really hard for a fresh one.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaela View Post
    Hi Tsikot members, I need your expertise on what's the best second hand all-around vehicle my 450K can buy. I've already gone through so many threads on different automobiles here but since everyone's been so helpful to everyone else, I thought I'd take the plunge and create my own thread.

Here are my concerns:

1. I'll be using the vehicle mostly around the city and with my newborn baby. I foresee my husband will be using it to lug around bulky stuff for his business. We like to take out-of-town trips every weekend or so and the vehicle will be subject to rough roads.

2. We're first time owners and not that knowledgeable about cars (although we're very keen on learning -- syempre excited about the new purchase). We're also based in the province -- there are no "casas" here. We have to drive to the bigger cities if we need casa service. Finding a knowledgeable mechanic and car parts also might be difficult.

3. With our new baby as our main focus, the vehicle has to be inexpensive to maintain and of course, as fuel efficient as possible.

So you see, we need an all-around vehicle. So far, I've narrowed down my choices to diesel-fed SUV/AUV/pickup types. I have the Hyundai Santa Fe (1st gen), Kia Sorento (1st gen), Ford Everest and the Isuzu Crosswind XT/XTO shortlisted.

I feel like I should be looking at more models so here I am asking for your help! Please help! Thank you
    Good day ma'am!

1st gen Hyundai Santa Fe- The engine is punchy and it should be fuel efficient enough. But I am worried if you will be able to easily find parts for it since it was not sold locally. Besides, it looks too odd for me to swallow. This one's also only available as a 5 seater if I'm not mistaken.
    1st gen Kia Sorento- This one looks great, has excellent performance, and is capable off road. But then most of those in this price range are the gasoline V6 variants, and most 1st gen Sorento's are 5 seaters.
    1st gen Ford Everest- This one's spacious and durable. FC is not very good though, especially with the matic variant. The ride is rather bouncy too.
    Isuzu Crosswind- You get minimal maintenance bills and excellent gas mileage. Its really slow though, especially in the highway. Ride quality is quite poor as well. It is important to note that this one has a high tendency to emit black smoke especially if you don't take good care of it. I've seen brand new Crosswind's still without plates smoke belching. While running slowly too!

Some other suggestions I have:
    Toyota Innova D4D- It gives gas mileage pretty similar to the Crosswind, and yet has much better engine performance. You won't have to worry much about emission problems too. Its a much more civilized car as a whole. Considering that it shares the same platform as the Hilux and Fortuner, it is very well capable of hauling heavy loads and going through bad terrain, not to mention very flood capable.
    Hyundai Starex - The last batches of the "Millenium" Starex or first batches of the GRX will fit your budget. Despite being similar in size to an SUV or midsize sedan, it is much more spacious, able to properly carry ten full size adults. Its much more comfortable than an AUV or SUV too. Get the manual transmission turbo intercooler variant for minimal maintenance and better gas mileage compared to the thirsty matic. Many parts are also interchangeable with Mitsubishi so you will have no problem in this regard.

Hope this helps!

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    also try to look at the kia carens. at your budget you can get one na.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
What's the Best All-Around 2nd Hand Vehicle 450K Can Buy?