New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    A friend will be migrating to the US soon (NY/MI) sometime this year with his family.

He's asking me for tips in buying a car there. So, naturally, I thought of posting a thread here to get some info from our reliable Tsikoteers.

I told him to buy a 4x4 as East coast is known for terrible snow, is that a bright idea? I was thinking Nissan Pathfinder/Subaru SUV. No Toyota/Lexus for now.

Are the xdrive (AWD) BMWs reliable in snow? If not, what sedans are?

How does one get massive crazy discounts? What's the best month / time to buy? lease or own?

Feel free to make suggestions. Thanks!

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    There are too many "liberal car deals" in the US and Canada. In the East coast, I think getting a 4x4 is plausible due to the snow. BTW, what I meant with the "liberal car deals" is that there are dealers that literally gives a car away by making deals such as 0 down WITH FREE 3 Months of amortization. Meaning sa 4th na ang simula ng bayad. If the buyer knows what car he/she wants, pwedeng in 2 hours, it's a done-deal and you'll be going home with your brand-new car. Please also tell your friend that the car dealers in the US do not have a showroom. Naka-display at exposed sa elements ang mga sasakyan na pagpipilian kahit brand new. Baka po kasi ma-shock iyung friend niyo. Pwede rin pong tumawad sa car agent.

With regards to discounts, dahil bumabawi sila sa recession, car agents/dealers are willing to strip-off the price tag at unbelievable LOW prices.

3. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    For Winter Driving go for the Subaru Forester AWD, its 4WD system is one of the best since its developed from the Subaru Impreza Rally car...
    If your looking for a Seven seater get the Subaru Tribeca AWD or a Volvo XC90 AWD...
    You could also go Korean; the 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe AWD and 2011 Kia Sorento AWD are the best in value for money...
    Also check out the Honda Pilot, it is ugly but the leg/cargo room is one of the most spacious...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Thanks! I will tell him all your pointers.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    What's the best insurance in the US? cheap; reliable and easy to claim from? what insurance package is a good buy?

thanks

Tips in buying a car in the US (New York / Michigan)