New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Hi tsikoteers! It's my first time here. Hello!

Background
    I'm thinking of buying a car. I currently take a taxi to and from my apartment in Bangkal, Makati and my day job as marketing manager for an IT firm in Ortigas for five days a week, as well as to get to family gatherings and other activities during weekends. As a result, I spend around 7K Php per month on taxi fare. I was complaining to my friend (who owns a Honda city - dunno what exact model) about how annoying taxis can be and she suggested that I buy a car for more convenience and control. I can allocate around 15K to 20K per month for the next 6 years or so towards a car so I thought why not shop around for one.

I also co-own a prod. house with my boyfriend, and around once a month or every two months we have to haul around some equipment to our shoots. We can fit most things into a regular taxi but once every quarter or every 4 months we also have big productions that require us to rent a bigger vehicles transport people and equipment. We're not married yet and don't have any kids.

Having no knowledge about cars, I have only a vague idea where to start—though I'm a nerd when it comes to computers. I don't know whether to buy a brand new or a second hand car. I was thinking of something like an Avanza or Innova so that I can accommodate our growing business, but I might be wasting fuel for my daily drive in the next 3-5 years. So maybe just a practical sedan (Altis?) with enough luggage space, good fuel economy. I don't really care much about looks or performance. I'm willing to learn to drive a manual if that would help me save costs. If I am to have a car, I'm also planning to learn what I can about maintenance so I can keep the resale value up.

Criteria
    To summarize my criteria, they would be:
    • Budget: 15K-20K a month over the next 6 years for all car expenses including gas
    • Fuel economy: Whatever wil fit into my budget
    • City driving with emphasis on luggage space
    • I don't care much about looks
    • Long term: I want something that will last me for 10 years to make it worth the cost
    • Good resale value

Thanks a lot!
    Neenah

2. Join Date
    Nov 2009
    I would suggest a diesel car, perhaps an SUV. Fortuner, Montero or Everest. They're fuel efficient enough and can last for a decade, with proper maintenance, of course.

You should allocate 18-20k/year for maintenance. 8 liters of oil, filters, etc.

My everest A/T can do 7-9kms/li city driving with heavy-moderate traffic and 12-13kms/li highway driving and my strada M/T(which shares the same engine with the montero) can do 8-10kms-li city driving with heavy-moderate traffic and 14-15kms/li highway driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    If you'll be hauling a lot of stuff, or a lot of friends, I'd suggest an Innova E diesel.

Otherwise, a Jazz 1.5V should fit your bill nicely. Versatile interior (with the rear seats folded, there's humongous space), decent economy, great resale value, and it actually looks good.

If you could pay 30% downpayment and then spread the remainder through a 5-year loan, you'll be paying roughly 13-14k monthly. Makati to Ortigas isn't too far so gas expenses won't be that expensive.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Hmm. How much money are you willing to shell out for the downpayment?

Normally, for first time drivers I would suggest something small because of its easy maneuverability. Typically an Eon or a Mirage, but since you mentioned you factor space I would suggest a base model Altis or a base Model Jazz. I would prefer the latter because of its versatility and incredible space. The Altis is 1.6 while the Jazz is 1.3L. The Jazz being a hatchback is easy to drive especially when backing up as it does not have a trunk unlike the Altis.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

5. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    i'll also suggest jazz. ang laki ng space nyan. pwede rin pickup like base variant strada or hilux

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Innova E diesel :-)

Sent from my Galaxy S using Tapatalk

7. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Innova Diesel. J variant if you can live with the manual features. E variant if not. G if you want a better interior. Innova can haul a lot if you don;t use the 3rd row seats.
    (I have an Innova G so this is biased opinion but based on actual experience)

8. Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by neehnahw View Post
    Hi tsikoteers! It's my first time here. Hello!

Background
    I'm thinking of buying a car. I currently take a taxi to and from my apartment in Bangkal, Makati and my day job as marketing manager for an IT firm in Ortigas for five days a week, as well as to get to family gatherings and other activities during weekends. As a result, I spend around 7K Php per month on taxi fare. I was complaining to my friend (who owns a Honda city - dunno what exact model) about how annoying taxis can be and she suggested that I buy a car for more convenience and control. I can allocate around 15K to 20K per month for the next 6 years or so towards a car so I thought why not shop around for one.

I also co-own a prod. house with my boyfriend, and around once a month or every two months we have to haul around some equipment to our shoots. We can fit most things into a regular taxi but once every quarter or every 4 months we also have big productions that require us to rent a bigger vehicles transport people and equipment. We're not married yet and don't have any kids.

Having no knowledge about cars, I have only a vague idea where to start—though I'm a nerd when it comes to computers. I don't know whether to buy a brand new or a second hand car. I was thinking of something like an Avanza or Innova so that I can accommodate our growing business, but I might be wasting fuel for my daily drive in the next 3-5 years. So maybe just a practical sedan (Altis?) with enough luggage space, good fuel economy. I don't really care much about looks or performance. I'm willing to learn to drive a manual if that would help me save costs. If I am to have a car, I'm also planning to learn what I can about maintenance so I can keep the resale value up.

Criteria
    To summarize my criteria, they would be:
    • Budget: 15K-20K a month over the next 6 years for all car expenses including gas
    • Fuel economy: Whatever wil fit into my budget
    • City driving with emphasis on luggage space
    • I don't care much about looks
    • Long term: I want something that will last me for 10 years to make it worth the cost
    • Good resale value

Thanks a lot!
    Neenah

I suggest you get the Innova or Adventure if you will be using it for at least 10 years.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    nothing beats the AUV in the philippines... very versatile... for family use, hauling and business...

for 700k plus you can get adventure GLX with power features.. cheap maintenance... but since your area in makati, you are a nice catch for ASBU people..

add a little and you can get the innova J or E... i suggest the vvti version for cheap maintenance and durability unlike the D4D version..

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Honda Jazz 1.3 MT. Easy to drive, easy to park, lots of cargo space for photo/video equipment. Expensive up front, but very good resale value and 10,000 km service intervals.

If you're travelling between Makati and Ortigas every day, an Advenure or Crosswind would be a target for anti-smoke belching enforcement units. An Innova diesel would be safer, and will do all you need, but I don't know if you can fit the monthly payments into your budget.

How much equipment do you bring to your shoots? If it can fit into something like a Mirage or a Picanto MT, that would be even more practical from an overall expense standpoint. There's also the Rio 1.2, which is very spacious, has a big trunk and good economy, for only 550k, which gives you a monthly of around 9-10k only, depending on your car plan, leaving enough in your budget for fuel, tires and contingency repairs.

Oh, and if you value fuel economy, stick with a manual transmission. If you MUST have an AT, only the Mitsubishi Mirage CVT has the potential for decent economy in traffic.

If this production company is a serious thing, then work on budgetting travel expenses into the operation ledgers to offset your car costs, and go ahead and get something like an Innova or a basic (135hp) Montero.
    Last edited by niky; January 2nd, 2013 at 01:52 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thinking of Buying My 1st Car