New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    thanks guys, broken down na choices sa sorento. sayang wala nga gas options ang mitsubishi.

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kicks4us24 View Post
    thanks guys, broken down na choices sa sorento. sayang wala nga gas options ang mitsubishi.
    Sorento ka na lang, one good SUV....

Kung nandyan sana ang 2.7 V6 ng Santa Fe but that engine had been discontinued. But I'm not a fan of this engine variant

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    ^ Lakas sa gas nun. Haha.

I would have recommended the X-Trail, but then, I saw you needed a 7-seater SUV. Not a 5-seater CUV. But let me tell you this, if ever you will be considering 5-seater gas-fed vehicles, whether it may be a CUV, SUV or a luxury sedan, you will have a very wide array of BETTER choices. Or if ever you will be considering VANS, then, there are lots of BETTER choices too

4. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by myk384 View Post
    Kung nandyan sana ang 2.7 V6 ng Santa Fe but that engine had been discontinued. But I'm not a fan of this engine variant
    Sinibak nila kasi:
    1. Malakas sa gas.
    2. Mas mataas ang output nung bagong 2.4L Theta II.
    3. Hindi bumenta.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    I think there's a reason kung bakit gasoline ang hanap niya at hindi diesel.

Have you tested one?

I think the performance is good enough but as not as good as the CRDi. Yung Santa Fe 2.4 Theta II nakakahabol sa Tucson ko pagdating sa rektahan pero hindi masyado sa arangkada.

Kia Sorento 2.4 Theta II AWD review by Niky Tamayo
    Review: 2010 Kia Sorento 2.4 AWD - Official bigbigcar.com vehicle reviews and feature - The bigbigcar.com Forums
    It seems that there are quite a number of reviews from here and there that are talking about the 2.4L's lack of punch with a heavy body of around 1800kg. Also since the variant in question is the top of the line variant with A/T and AWD which means more drivetrain loss and a negative impact on the fuel efficiency department due to low amount of torque which is available only at high rpm.

Now that is, of course as always, just my two cents worth opinion.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Depends on your perspective. In the US? Maybe... for them, that's a slow vehicle.

Here? It's faster than 99% of the cars on the road. It's faster than the old automatic CR-V. It's faster than every Vios except the 1.5 manual. It's faster than most modern compact sedans with 1.6s and 1.8s. It's faster than my modern CR-V. It's faster than every ladder-frame diesel except the new Montero Sport... and even then... patas lang sila.

In the US, where your typical minivan has enough power to pull away from a Civic SiR at the stoplight (unless the SiR driver is willing to toast his clutch...), it's probably on the slow side.

In pinoy traffic, where the fun stops at 50 km/h, and on Pinoy highways where 120 km/h is about as fast as you can go safely, the 2.4 has more than enough power.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    How's the gas mileage though? Would the engine be rather strained? I believe one would need to keep the rpms high in order to get good performance out of this vehicle considering the weight and little amount of torque available. Whenever I drive the gasoline vehicles (Escape 2.0, Accord 2.4) in our garage, I try my best to keep the rpms below 2000 as much as possible so as to save more fuel. The Accord does fine but the Escape is very sluggish and I'd be driving at a jeepney-like pace if I kept it that way all the time. How does the gasoline Sorento perform in this kind of situation?

8. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    How's the gas mileage though? Would the engine be rather strained? I believe one would need to keep the rpms high in order to get good performance out of this vehicle considering the weight and little amount of torque available. Whenever I drive the gasoline vehicles (Escape 2.0, Accord 2.4) in our garage, I try my best to keep the rpms below 2000 as much as possible so as to save more fuel. The Accord does fine but the Escape is very sluggish and I'd be driving at a jeepney-like pace if I kept it that way all the time. How does the gasoline Sorento perform in this kind of situation?
    The Escape 2.0 is really bad. Sluggish. Long gears. Weak engine (why they didn't use the 2.0 in the Lynx/Protege is beyond me).

Sorento does fine. six gears means you always have the right ratio, and it'll let you downshift or upshift manually pretty much any way you want... to the point where you can strain your engine at just over idle on the highway.

But then, gasoline engines don't like being left at under 2000 rpm when accelerating. And it's not good for them. To save gas, you want to accelerate up to 3k-4k rpm, so you're at your target speed right away and can let off and cruise.

Economy seemed similar to our CR-V... which means it wasn't great but wasn't as bad as such cars as the Escape 2.0 or the 2nd gen CR-V... but I don't doubt it'd be horrible in rush-hour traffic.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I see... I had always felt the Escape's transmission to be outright dumb. It holds gears for too long, which I find great for spirited driving but is definitely very bad for the gas mileage which seems to be worse than the 2.4L Accord. Very rev happy and a great singer though. When the car is already moving, would it be alright to keep it below 2000rpm?

I was thinking about our thirsty Accord's engine inside the Sorento with its huge mass and all. Which version is your CRV, by the way? So the gas mileage is somewhere around a dismal 5-7km/L I suppose?

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    2.4 AWD. So, yup, 5-7 in traffic. We get 7-9 mixed and 11-12 on the highway. 14 if we push it. Any higher would require an NLEX only 80 km/h run.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
An SUV with 7 seater, Gas engine and a 4WD