New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I am particularly interested in the hi-lux surf which I think is "suitable" for both men and women unlike most of the macho looking SUVs. However, a mechanic I talked to is strongly against subc veicles citing the many problems he encountered.

Is he comments valid or maybe, as a mechanic, only cars with problems are bought to his "talyer" so this impression.

Anybody who can offer some good advice. I sure like to buy one of these surf. Thanks,

2. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    no this is not worth it ... your better of with real 2nd hand cars that was locally released here in the philippines

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    His comments are valid.

Some Subic owners are vastly satisfied with their rides. Some are so digusted that they try to sell them right away. It varies widely from unit to unit and depends on a number of things:

1. The actual age of the unit (not the age on the sales brochure).
    1.a. Whether the papers of the said unit actually match, some units have the wrong engine number or VIN number, which means they were actually sourced from carnapped units. Which means that as soon as you go to the LTO, they're impounded.
    1.b. Whether the papers are real. If the unit is smuggled and not tax-paid, same case.

2. The length of stay in storage. Suffice to say, the longer in storage and in transit, the more problems a vehicle may have, as oil starts to settle and sludge, items corrode, parts get stuck up, etcetera.

3. The nature of RHD to LHD conversion, whether it's a sloppy cut-and-weld, or a proper conversion using all-original parts. This is the one that causes the most headaches for owners, and can be dangerous. Even with a proper conversion, certain things like side mirrors (bigger one on the left instead of right) and headlights will often be overlooked.

4. And lastly, and most importantly, the honesty of the dealer you talk to, one who will ensure that none of these problems occur.

If you are seriously thinking of buying a "Subic" SUV, try finding versions sold in the Middle East or Taiwan (both LHD markets) to eliminate problem #3. As for the other problems, use your common sense, do research (know all there is to know about the vehicle in question, production years, engines, etcetera), and bring a mechanic along.

Don't put down money until you're sure there are no problems or potential pitfalls. I've had friends who were happy with their imports, and I've had friends who've threatened to beat the importer black and blue (over improper/illegal registration) in disgust or who've almost died from suddenly losing steering on their converted vehicle.

----

The Hilux Surf is a decent vehicle, nothing spectacular. It's rugged, definitely, being basically a Hilux (just as the Alterra and Everest are basically pickups underneath), but it's nowhere near a Landcruiser in terms of prestige and ability. Not a bad car, though I'd prefer a Pajero over it.

Good luck!

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Niky Is Right. Some Are Satisfied, Some Are Not. Like Me, Im Using Pajero As Pang Harabas And Im Very Much Satisfied. Wala Me Problema Sa Engine, Aircon Is Excellent. Kumbaga, Naka Tsamba Ako Ng Bili. Wala Na Me Pinaayos Except Nagpalit Lang Me Ng Gulong. Pare, U Better Check Well The Unit And The Dox If Ur Planning To Get A Subic Car.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    yup tama ulet sina niky and josor30 based from our experience, may bad experience kami when it comes to subic cars.. bumili kami dati ng mitsubishi rvr, sa una ok lang.. but nung tumagal, lumabas ang problema nito, aircon, ecu, radiator probs, etc.. sakit sa ulo yun, so we decided na ibenta na lang.. mukang hndi kami nka chamba sa subic nun..

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    IN MY OPINION, OK BUMILI NG SUBIC CARS IF AVAILABLE ANG CARS LOCALLY. LIKE PAJERO, MADAMING LOCAL PAJERO KAYA AVAILABLE MGA PYESA. SA CASE NAMAN NG RVR, TIPONG WALANG LOCAL NA RVR KAYA FOR SURE SAKIT SA ULO TLG. TAKE THE CASE OF DELICA, WALA NAMAN DELICA LOCALLY KAYA DELICA-DO TLG BUMILI NG GANUNG CARS.
    BUT STILL, VERIFY AND SCRUTINIZE THE DOX AS WELL AS THE UNIT F U PREFER BUYING SUBIC CARS KC THE RIGHT TERMS I CUD USE IS, TSAMBAHAN ANG PAGBILI NG SUBIC CARS.

7. Join Date
    May 2006
    Tama "TSAMBAHAN" lang ang pagbili ng Subic cars. Yung kakilala ko bumili ng Bighorn nainlove ang loko sa sasakyan kulang na lang ipagpatayo ng bahay wala kasing lumalabas na problema. Yung barkada naman nya bumili ng Subic Paj after a week gusto na nyang isumpa naglock kasi yung steering nya habang tumatakbo tsk tsk tsk.

Mag-iisang taon ng for sale pala baka gusto nyong bilhin yung Paj hehehe 300K na lang.
    Last edited by Syuryuken; January 11th, 2007 at 09:53 AM.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    depende sa gumawa, kung kilala mo nag convert ng auto, at maganda ang pagkakagawa worth, pero pag hindi, 50-50 yan,

9. Join Date
    Aug 2006
    hwag ka ring bumili ng skylite roof. mainit pag summer. ung nabili naming serena maganda naman takbo ng makina pero ung aircon eh pumapalya na. buti na lang malamig pa ngayon. hehe

try calling this - koshigaya enterprises tel: 277-5902; 443-1338. located in valenzuela city

10. Join Date
    May 2006
    compromised ang safety kapag ang nabili mo RHD converted to LHD

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Are Subic/exJDM cars worth buying?