New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I don't really feel the Accent knocking issue is that big of an issue. Many makers have issues with fuel quality in the Philippines, and from my participation in the thread before, it seems like it goes away when the users put in high octane fuel.

This indicates that the knocking was induced by poor quality fuel (some stations don't mix fuels and additives properly, so what is claimed as a 93 RON fuel can sometimes be 94, 93, 92 or even under 90) and can be cured simply by buying better fuel. And with the update, the sensitivity to knocking has been removed.

As long as you fill up at a trusted gas station and nowhere else, (or if you fill up elsewhere, simply go for higher octane XCS or Premium... or fill up at a big station with good facilities) then there should be no issues at all.

-

The Avanza is not really that bad on gas, from having tested it, economy is comparable to compact cars (for the 1.5). The 1.3 should be even more economical, but the interior is kind of ugly on the 1.3.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Ok, now this is out of topic but I think I can stretch my budget up to 800K (for car only). So I'm adding two compact cars here, entry level of Ford Focus and Toyota Altis. I think I'm gonna schedule a test-drive for these as well. I got good discounts with these two but if you have a quick "no-no" for either of the two, let me know.

Thanks guys, esp to Niky - I appreciate your feedback, very informative and unbiased. Thanks bro!

3. Join Date
    Nov 2011
    *Qwerty: Thank you too Bro for the suggestion but sorry and no offense esp to the Avanza owners here but because this Toyota Avanza (like Innova, Adventure) does not appeal to us (me and my wife). We're not saying that these are ugly vehicles but they just look boring from our perspective or it looks like they are adding numbers on our ages (again, no offense, this is just our personal preference and perspective, so sorry). I guess we're looking for a vehicle which has "looks + reliability + durability + safety + practicality".

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I'm not sure if the 800k budget brings you up to Grand Livina level, but it's worth a look. Lots of space, car-like drive, efficient 1.8 liter engine.

I'm not sure, but I think the base Cruze is right outside your range. Refinement comparable to the Focus, with a plusher ride and almost as much space as the Elantra. Don't like the manual transmission. Gears are too long and the throw is rubbery. But then, I don't like the automatic, either, as it's too laggy and inconsistent. If not for the transmission and the engine sounding strained under load, the Cruze would be a perfect car. As it is, it's just pretty good.

Focus, wonderful car... great refinement, great noise isolation, solid build quality. But it's heavy and the interior of the base model (I suppose you're looking at the 1.8 MT sedan?) is a bit tacky. Check it out and see for yourself if you like it.

The Altis 1.6 is still one of the benchmarks for fuel economy in the compact class. Great engine. Good transmissions. Interior space not as good as the best, but definitely worth comparing to the Focus (probably better). Only nits are the front foot wells, which are weird in shape. Overall, it's always a sure buy.

If you're considering this level of car, the base-level Elantra is just under 800k. (798k, I think, for the manual transmission). Sound insulation and suspension are not as good as the Focus, but it's got a terrific engine, a terrific transmission and a whole shebang of space, both in the passenger compartment and the trunk. I like this car, personally feels like a better Civic.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    The Elantra is terrific, just like what Niky said. But I think the Altis is the most practical choice. Lotsa space, great engine, and hassle-free maintenance. A bit cheap on fuel too - well, not really since it only has 4-gears on its automatics.

I like the Focus, aggressive looks and lots of toys inside. But then, it might be a bit of a guzzler since it's a 1.8, has a heavy body and ... that's it, I guess.

If any of the three wouldn't suit your preferences for whatever manner then I'd have to go for the City. Or the Jazz.

Not considering the Ford Fiesta Sedan? I know the looks are a bit of ehrr..., but I guess it's worth the look.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    If so, then there you go with the Elantra 1.6GL 6M/T. There you've got the looks, lots of space, exceptional balance between fuel efficiency and performance, what more can you ask for? Well perhaps except for the fact that its a manual car. But then, the top of the line Accent 1.6GLS Blue is selling at 808k SRP. You also get lots of space, top of the line amenities, great engine performance and none of that engine knock nonsense. There you have it, base compact or top of the line subcompact?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Subcompact for a small family?