New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Even without a mechanic, you can DIY on the car's condition.

For suspension system check, do not drive on a smooth road. Drive it on a "peanut brittle" road and speed bumps. You should not hear any clunking, tok, squeaky sounds at all, even when steering. AVOID if you hear anything. I can see bushing replacement, shocks, ball joints, etc.

For the electrical system check, if the car has difficulty starting, AVOID. I can see alternator/battery/starter replacement. It should only be one click. Don't waste time troubleshooting. Walk away.

For engine check, look at the exhaust. If it is emitting white smoke, AVOID. You can also open the oil cap and if you see whitish paste on the underside, AVOID. The coolant has already leaked into the engine which could tell you that the engine is cracked, warped or has a blown head gasket. AVOID COMPLETELY. No need to check the radiator, coolant level or the hoses. Don't waste time. Walk away.

If you see nothing on the engine, listen to it. If it sounds like a steam train, the valve is bent. AVOID.

For oil leaks/power steering fluid leaks, look at the underside of the car. If you have a flashlight, it would be much better. If you see anything drenched in oil or fluid, AVOID. All the rubber bushings, boots, fan belt, will disintegrate overtime if it's drenched in oil or fluid. You're going to replace a lot of rubber parts and seals.

These are the major problems you would want to watch out for.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    it's 22 years old, so expect it to have repairs often. it is rare (as in konti lang sila on philippine roads) so don't expect banawe shops to have parts for it. at most surplus mabibili mo na parts, pahirapan pa. at di lang cost of repairs add mo dyan sir. add ka na din ng cost of towing. double head ache yan, madali na masira tapos walang parts.

walk away. buy a civic or a corolla, kahit luma madaming pyesa.

3. Join Date
    May 2018
    Quote Originally Posted by peach186 View Post
    Good day guys. Newbie here. We're planning to buy a used car and I saw this Honda Accord 1996 A/T on Facebook for 100K, but according to the seller it is still "very negotiable".
    Car still looks good based on the pics (will be attaching some).
    If ever it will primarily be used on weekdays (school-home v.v) and mga lakad narin.

Now I've heard this specific car isn't particularly fuel efficient but I don't really mind since hindi naman sobrang traffic dito sa probinsiya and di naman kalayuan.

My other concern is with the transmission since I've read about problems with this car's A/T.

Other issues: slight problem with the passenger side door handle (fixable DAW)

Ang kaso lang nawala daw yung orig CR, photocopy lang meron sakanya. Di pa kami nakapagusap regarding this kung paano.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk
    iba nlng bilhin mo masyado ng luma yan then AT pa ano nalang gastos mo sa gas nyan

4. Join Date
    May 2018
    Thank you all for your inputs. Decided against buying it.

Anyway, how about a Toyota Corolla 1996 GLi (80K)? Owned by a mechanic.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    ^
    Pinalitan mo lang yung Accord ng Corolla.

Bottomline 96 model parin sya.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by peach186 View Post
    Thank you all for your inputs. Decided against buying it.

Anyway, how about a Toyota Corolla 1996 GLi (80K)? Owned by a mechanic.

Depende sa mechanic. May mga mechanics kasi na puro remedyo lang ginagawa nila sa mga oto nila. Basta tumakbo pwede na.

Mas ok kumuha sa mga enthusiasts kahit na mas mahal ng konti.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Corolla is a good car. But it is also most likely heavily used/abused since it is a commuter car. Depends on the condition, I guess.

However, if you look for a Nissan Sentra, you will most likely be able to find a newer unit for your budget...

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Yes depends on the condition..provided that it was well taken cared of, usual areas are paint and perhaps rusts. If grease monkey ka, some of the mechanical parts can be DIYed.

Agree on what was mentioned above, get a car from a car guy / enthusiast medyo mataas ng konti.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillwon3 View Post
    I bought a 1997 Accord and see my Map light is different from anything on the internet. There is a black rubber rectangle that seems to be like a receiver antenna for the key FOB of which one did not come with this second hand car. In removing the map light to replace the bulb, I see a wired connector is attached to the black rubber rectangle. So I am asking for help to figure this mystery out. Thanks You Salamat
    i have no idea. i would ask the previous owner, po.
    it might be a non-honda accessory, which only the installer or previous owner, have an idea of what it is all about.
    good luck.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jwillwon3 View Post
    I bought a 1997 Accord and see my Map light is different from anything on the internet. There is a black rubber rectangle that seems to be like a receiver antenna for the key FOB of which one did not come with this second hand car. In removing the map light to replace the bulb, I see a wired connector is attached to the black rubber rectangle. So I am asking for help to figure this mystery out. Thanks You Salamat
    We used to have a 1997 Accord back in the early 2000s. I do remember the black rectangle you are talking about. Medyo maumbok yun na nasa gitna ng maplight assembly diba? Never thought much of it at the time. It didn't do anything so I thought it was part of the design. Is it still worth to buy 1996 Honda Accord A/T But I do remember that the alarm indicator was below the driver side air vent.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast