New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    hello sirs,

hingi sana ako ng payo ninyo regarding buying 2nd hand innova.

balak ko kumuha nung 2nd gen na innova G, diesel, MT. nabasa ko dito sa forum na mejo may kamahalan ang maintenance ng diesel engines especially if may mga kelangan palitan because of using "dirty diesel"

question ko bale is, papano ko malalaman if may potential na mag-breakdown yung injectors or EGR kasi dirty diesel pala yung ginamit dati? aside from dangers of the dirty diesel .. ano pa yung mga watch-outs ko dito sa innova model na balak ko bilhin?

salamat in advance sa mga sasagot!

2. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    sorry for the OT... how do you define "dirty diesel?"

ang alam ko, EURO 4 ang fuel sold locally
    kung sediments naman, may simple filter ang fuel tank and my fuel filter din bago pumasok sa engine yung diesel.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    honestly speaking, i'm not sure .. nabasa ko lang sya within one of the threads dito sa forum:

is this "dirty diesel" really a thing to be worried about? btw, yung thread na sinasabi ko (see below) is 2014 pa so i don't know kung issue pa nga ba ito sa atin ngayon kasi sabi mo EURO4 na ang sold locally ngayon

kung patipiran lang ng FC ang basis mo talagang mag diesel ka sir.. pero mag ready ka rin sa mga sumusunod when the time comes..

1. Injectors - may fail due to dirty diesel - so expensive
    2. EGR - may fail due to dirty diesel
    3. Turbo
    4. SCV problem - kung second hand (2005-2008?) ang bibilin mo

4. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    ^I can imagine the issue with the Turbo.

If may "dirty diesel," wala bang "dirty petrol?"

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    ^I can imagine the issue with the Turbo.

If may "dirty diesel," wala bang "dirty petrol?"

meron din siguro dirty petrol .. if meron man, ngayon ko lang sya narinig. i posted something in another thread and another gentleman replied na possible with the lesser known petroleum companies in far flung provinces. so i guess it's not really a thing if sa NCR naman yung kukunin ko na unit?

what about Turbo, sir? normal wear and tear lang ba to na bumibigay after a certain number of kms na tinakbo? fyi 40,000kms yung max ko na mileage na kino-consider. anything more than that pass na ako. issue na ba ang turbo around 40,000kms?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sepskee View Post
    what about Turbo, sir? normal wear and tear lang ba to na bumibigay after a certain number of kms na tinakbo? fyi 40,000kms yung max ko na mileage na kino-consider. anything more than that pass na ako. issue na ba ang turbo around 40,000kms?
    I'm really not sure, honestly di pa ako naka-kita ng service manual ng Innova (both 1st and 2nd gen).

don't worry too much about it, the Innova has been around since 2004 just enjoy the car.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    hello sirs,

hingi sana ako ng payo ninyo regarding buying 2nd hand innova.

balak ko kumuha nung 2nd gen na innova G, diesel, MT. nabasa ko dito sa forum na mejo may kamahalan ang maintenance ng diesel engines especially if may mga kelangan palitan because of using "dirty diesel"

question ko bale is, papano ko malalaman if may potential na mag-breakdown yung injectors or EGR kasi dirty diesel pala yung ginamit dati? aside from dangers of the dirty diesel .. ano pa yung mga watch-outs ko dito sa innova model na balak ko bilhin?

salamat in advance sa mga sasagot!
    just buy one that's in good condition.
    generally, the less the odometer reading, the better.
    the internet is full of suggestions on how to evaluate used vehicles.
    what do i do? lately, i have been buying from trusted kakilalas and relatives.

diesel maintenance is expensive, but only if "something breaks down".
    but they don't break down "that often", if at all.
    i have three innovae diesels, two MTs and one AT. mileages are 145K + 100K + 60K km.
    and they have not yet "broken down". the most i did was timing belt replacement (11-12K, casa).
    maintenance is easy and not expensive. parts are everywhere.

as sepskee says, "buy it and enjoy".

"dirty diesel" ? fresh from the supplier, they're all the same.
    baka water-contaminated diesel fuel. but that's not the vehicle's fault.

question: "what is the worst that can happen to a used car buyer?"
    answer: "nakaw" yung nabili niyang sasakyan.
    kasi, everything else can be remedied.
    Last edited by dr. d; October 19th, 2021 at 10:47 PM.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    yes, i'm probably just overthinking this

lowest odo reading within the set budget is given

will look for private sellers din para easier to confirm maintenance history nung oto (i prefer casa maintained) .. ika nga rin sa watch forum, "buy the seller"

besides, toyota naman .. madali lang maghanap ng piyesa

9. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    meron din siguro dirty petrol .. if meron man, ngayon ko lang sya narinig. i posted something in another thread and another gentleman replied na possible with the lesser known petroleum companies in far flung provinces. so i guess it's not really a thing if sa NCR naman yung kukunin ko na unit?

found an article last night...

5 reasons not to buy an SUV | Autodeal

Since most SUVs available in the Philippines have turbo-diesel engines they will need to have their turbochargers replaced every 100,000 or so kilometers. This adds a part to consider for its maintenance list. Another thing to keep tabs on is the oil lines in turbos as when they fail the oil will be fed through the turbo starting a blowby
    *although madami kang maririnig dyan who will say that their turbos are fine 200k kms later... kanya kanyang swerte yan.
    I grew up with Taxis and Jeepneys (public transport) and not all engines are the same.

I personally think we are in the last few decades/generations of passenger diesel vehicles. Let's just enjoy it while we still can.

If time permits, we will be visiting a Toyota dealership this week (sana matuloy na) as we are debating in the family if we should get a diesel (me) or a hybrid (everyone else)

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i extrapolated my fuel expenses in one year,
    diesel innova vs. gas altis.

projecting my fuel expenses covering 860 km/month,
    in one year, i would spend 26,000 more pesos, driving the gas AT altis exclusively, compared to driving the diesel MT innova exclusively.
    and as the cost of oil change between the two is less than 2K per session,
    i figure i'm still ahead, with the MT diesel innova.

if i used the AT diesel innova,
    the projected difference is still 12,900 pesos in favor of the AT diesel innova.

but that's not the compelling reason why i innova.
    i innova because my usual route to and from the workplace, gets flooded in moderate to heavy rain.
    Last edited by dr. d; November 2nd, 2021 at 11:44 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast