New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    I once had to choose between that corolla and sentra, I went to the corolla for 2 reasons, maintenance cost and interior space.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Sa 2 rola (big and small) namin, panay a/c issue ang naranasan.
    Aside from that, maintenance was cheap and engine is bullet proof.
    Kaso swerte ka na sa 8kpl city drive. (Eto eh back in early 201x pa). Maybe expect 5kpl.

If getting the big body, get the 1.6. the 1.3 is severely underpowered while ferrying passengers and baggage. Like driving a tank slow.

Sa rola small body, can't comment much since 4spd m/t pa yon.

In summary, when getting a 20 yr old car, expect mo na nasa talyer ka once a week. It is bound to happen lalo na pag di mo pa alam service history.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by chronicle View Post
    Kaso swerte ka na sa 8kpl city drive. (Eto eh back in early 201x pa). Maybe expect 5kpl.
    I was getting 7km/l 15 years ago kapag fully synthetic oil ko... kapag bumaba na nang 5km/l - kailangan na ng change oil

4. Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    I was getting 7km/l 15 years ago kapag fully synthetic oil ko... kapag bumaba na nang 5km/l - kailangan na ng change oil
    Haha. Almost the same figures.
    I assume that's accross all 90's car since they are not built for efficiency back in the day.

Sent from my BLL-L22 using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by eprnv View Post
    Thank you sa input, sir!
    Kaya pala I'm hearing great things about Sentra ECCS. Yung AE92 kasi sir mas gusto ko lang sa exterior and it's a Toyota car. Nabasa ko din na repair ng EFI is costly compared sa mga Carb type, is this true? Kaya pa ba ng mga cars na to na umabot ng 12km/l sa city? Hindi naman ma-traffic dito.
    Will set aside din ng budget para sa repair expenses. Thank you, sir.
    sentras (post-box type B12) are very underrated kaya good buy talaga sa 2nd hand market. you get many features na usually nasa higher class. pero that's also IF those features still work hehe

yes, mas mahal parts ng EFI system. but if functioning well, will give you better fuel efficiency and power than a carb. di rin naman ganun kasirain ang EFI unless barubal pag gamit at wala talagang maintenance.

like sabi ng iba, neither will give you 12 kms/l in city traffic like metro manila hehe kahit mga 1.6L ngayon mahihirapan abutin yan. 7-8 should be your most optimistic mileage.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Wooah Baguio to Batangas kaya pa pala. You think kaya pa ng mga cars na yan ngayon, sir? Kasi I'm planning din to use the car for long drive twice a month. Probably mga 150km to 180km distances.
    How much po repair ng suspension ng Lancer? Also maintenance?
    No, no, no, no. Sorry. What I meant was, Went to Baguio, and Batangas, multiple times, but in separate occasions. With few ihi / coffee stop overs only.

Suspension went about 30k hindi pa kumpleto. Pero kasama na kasi ibang job orders gaya ng mga engine supports, brakes, etc etc...

Maintenance was change oil only.

By the way, nasabugan kami ng radiator noong nasa Baguio na kami. Buti nalang nasa Baguio na kami that time. Have to spend about 5.5k para palitan ng tanso 'yung radiator top cover.

As I have said, ready your wallet for a 90s car. But the experience (and headaches) is rewarding. Good luck.

7. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Might I suggest the B14 Sentra instead of the ECCS (B13). The B13 is really small.

The Honda City also fits your budget. Not that good looking, but very thrifty and surprisingly quick.

I really like the Lynx. It is probably the most modern car your budget can buy. But I see so few of them nowadays I'm concerned parts availability may not be as good as the more mainstream models, especially if you don't live near Banawe.

Sent from my SM-G965N using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    For me, ae92. The same reason, maintenance is cheap and parts availability... solid body...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    For a 90s car, my suggestion would be the Civic EK (96-00). It's a classic design and you get tons of aftermarket support. It maybe a bit more expensive but it is something worth keeping longer if properly maintained.
    . Panigurado maraming sakit na civic makukuha ni TS sa budget niya. At yung katawan pa non hirap mag hanap ng lata pa talaga.

Ae92 for me. Madali patinuin mura pa [emoji846]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Good day!

Pasensya at newbie lang sa mga cars sir. Maraming mga katanungan so I hope masagutan lahat.

Looking for: The car sana will be used for daily driving. That's 34 km everyday for 6 days, patag na daan. I need din pala na relatively low ang fuel consumption. Manual kasi I've heard na they cost less sa repairs at mas mababa fuel consumption.
    Budget: 50k to 100k
    Cars on my list are:
    -Toyota Corolla AE92
    -Nissan Sentra ECCS
    -Mitsubishi Lancer (Itlog or Pizza)
    -Honda Civic ESI
    -Ford Lynx (RS or Ghia)
    Opinion, guys? I don't have any idea how much would repairs cost. Anyone can give me an estimate? 20k?
    I got a student license. Will be upgrading after a month.
    ...100K budget?... be prepared to get electrocuted with surprise and dismay. heh heh. sorry. couldn't resist.
    hey! there are still some good buys out there. it's just a matter of patience and luck.

corolla and sentra. efi.
    i read in someone's list of most reliable engines, these two occupied number 1 and number 2, respectively.

carburatored? only if you know a mechanic who can service them regularly, or you yourself know how. it's really simple and logical, once you understand these things.
    in comparison, efi's need almost no maintenance.

for you, i'd recommend the corolla, simply because there's more parts of them still around, new or used.

how much to bring your new used car to spec?
    that's a hard one.
    it would depend on how lucky you were.
    i'd pull out from the sky a 20K peso figure.
    if you like your new used car to be more beautiful, add 30-40K more.
    good luck.
    Last edited by dr. d; November 21st, 2019 at 02:11 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast