New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    It'll depend, really on the condition of the unit.

It's much easier to break an AT outright, with poor maintenance, than an MT. The clutch of the MT provides an outlet for any transmission destroying foolishness, and costs little to replace.

With the AT, the torque converter fills the role of the clutch, but is dependent on good ATF to work. If the previous owner did not care for the car well, and did not regularly change the ATF, things can break. Expensive things.

I've had good luck with secondhand ATs, but I've seen people with very bad luck. And while fixing a secondhand manual is often the simple work of replacing a clutch or a gear or two (gears can sometimes break if the previous owner drag-raced the car...), fixing an automatic is more expensive, which is why some people just go for full box swaps.

Besides, if we're talking secondhands, the fuel economy bonus of old 5-speed manuals over old 4-speed ATs in traffic is a good reason to just go for the manual.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    My last ride was a 1998 Nissan Sentra EX Saloon A/T. I bought it second hand last June 2004 and it stayed with me for three and a half years with no problem on the transmission (except for an oil leak that developed two years after I bought it). I sold it just last month to make way for a new car.

I would say that there is no problem with buying second hand A/T cars as long as you trust the seller and/or you know how to assess the condition of the car.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    it all boils down on how it was used and maintained. in 2004 i bought a 2000 A/T lynx. overall ok naman sya kaya lang ramdam ko yung pag shift ng gears, parang kumakadyot. i think this is one that you should also check.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by voltscastillo View Post
    a decent, well looked after auto tranny that is not abused or starved of fluid will last longer than a manual transmission....maka-5 palit ka siguro ng clutch bago ka mag overhaul ng tranny.
    Uh, kelan pa nagkaroon ng clutch ang A/T?

As usual, niky has it spot on. Besides, it's the way to go kung gusto mo talagang makatipid, especially in terms of FC.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    ok din naman kahit a/t basta nde abused at ok din ang maintenance
    Last edited by JiggeR671; March 5th, 2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: doble post

6. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bogeyman View Post
    Uh, kelan pa nagkaroon ng clutch ang A/T?

As usual, niky has it spot on. Besides, it's the way to go kung gusto mo talagang makatipid, especially in terms of FC.

sir may internal clutch plates ang mga auto trans.....

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The clutch plates are in the torque converter. As a unit, we often talk about the torque converter as a whole.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Sir,I was referring to the clutch plates inside the trans housing not the torque converter.

but anyway, I think what sir Voltscastillo was trying to say was kung meron kang auto and manual trans of the same age, nakaka limang palit ka na ng clutch sa manual trans bago ka pa mag overhaul ng auto trans..

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah.

It'll actually depend on the driver. For me, I go through one clutch every... *cough* [size=1]40,000 kms... damn drag-launches and trackdays[/size] *cough*, but if you drive a manual properly, you can make that clutch last 100,000 - 150,000 kms.

And a clutch is easier to replace than a torque converter. If driven properly, the fuel economy benefits of a manual versus an automatic transmission will far outweigh the cost of replacing the clutch.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2006
    very true... really depends on the driver...pero 40,000 kms???? hehehe

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Is it ok to buy 2nd-hand A/T cars?