New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakwatsero View Post
    I think his point is, CVTs are more fuel efficient but cost more to maintain and much much less repairable.
    +1. Parehas matibay ang AT at CVT. Sa long term use, parehas na masisira. Kung paabutin ng 20 years ang sasakyan, malaki ang possibility nito. Kaya maganda ang option na ma-repair ng mura. Otherwise, disposable car na. Sabagay ano, iilang 90s car na lang ang naiiwan sa daan.

Kung kaya naman magpalit ng sasakyan every 5~10 years, hindi gaanong concern kung CVT or AT.

2. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Teka, sa Metro Manila lang pala madalang ang 90s na sasakyan. Sa probinsiya madami pa. Naalala ko mga inquiries sa Lovelife AT for sale dati, mas marami taga probinsiya nag inquire. Kaya ayun, sa ganoong case relevant ang AT vs. CVT.

BTT, CR-V at CX-5 ang boto ko sa choices. Mas maganda tigngan ang CX-5.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    CVT is a good transmission ... just don't buy a Subaru Forester if maintenance cost is a concern ... comparing maintenance cost of a VW Jetta to a Subaru Forester? ... like duh ... Again, DO NOT BUY a used Subaru Forester if maintenance cost is a concern ... get a Honda or Toyota ...

4. Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Renzokuken View Post
    Hi everyone. Planning to transition from Civic FD to a CUV.
    At 700-750k budget, what would you guys recommend?
    This will be used as my daily driver Las Pinas to BGC after this pandemic.

Currently in the market scanning 2016 CR-V, CX-5 and Forester.

Things to consider:
    1. Mostly solo passenger
    2. 6 ft driver
    3. Easy and cheap to maintain
    4. AT and good FC
    5. Good resale value

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my CLT-L29 using Tsikot Forums mobile app
    Personally, if it were me looking for a used crossover with that budget I would get a Subaru Forester XT or a Ford Escape 2.0L Ecoboost. Of course I would check the condition of the car first. I tend to lean towards cars with higher horsepower compared to other similar priced vehicles but that is just me.

But based on your criteria, you cannot go wrong with a Toyota Rav4, a Mazda CX5 or a Honda CRV. They have similar fuel consumption and seem to be holding their resale value quite well. Although you have to be wary of the DI engine of the CX5 since direct injection engines tend to have gunked up back sides of the intake valves.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    why not consider toyota rav4 on your list? Or maybe a fortuner (basically a jacked up innova also seats 7-8.)

Heaven forbid ... only a Subaru Forester will suffice ... it's the best ...

6. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Not angst, bai.Need Opinion: Best 2nd hand CUV at 700k
    And as I've been saying all along, CVTs are fine new & for owners who periodically change their cars every few years....a habit manufacturers survive on or kill for. Unfortunately, fate failed to get me in that good company. We have to keep cars long term here...can't have a ticking timebomb. Just me, bai...the odd 1 out. Treat me the exception.Need Opinion: Best 2nd hand CUV at 700k

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Agree with this. I think they make great first-owner cars, maybe second-owner if you buy within 3 years. Older than that and I'd be wary. Does the local Subaru casa honor the 10-year, 100k mile warranty that Subaru US is giving? May mga horror stories din ang Subaru CVTs but what they did was extend warranty and fix as the cars break rather than issue a recall.

Subaru CVT Problems | The Drive

How Reliable are Subaru CVTs?

Throughout the past decade, hundreds of customers have complained to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) about several problems relating to Subaru’s CVTs. Although Subaru doesn’t correlate the two, the company announced warranty extensions for several 2010-2018 CVT-equipped Subarus from 5 years/60,000 miles to 10 years/100,000 miles. The extended warranties apply to the Crosstrek, Legacy, Outback, Forester, Impreza, and WRX.

Common Subaru CVT Problems to Look Out For

If you notice these symptoms while driving your Subaru, the problem could be sourced to the CVT. Here are some of the most common Subaru CVT problems:

Stalling

Several customers have mentioned that their vehicles came to jarring stops or stalled during driving without the ability to restart the vehicle.

Customer Complaint

A frustrated customer complained to the NHTSA with the note, “Transmission failure. It is a known issue with models with their original CVT transmission, but rather than issue a recall, they’re extending warranties and fixing as they break. This left me with no power on a state highway that had speed limits of 75 mph. … I was going about 70 mph in the center lane of a three-lane highway when suddenly, my car jerked and then wouldn’t accelerate.”

Shudders, Shakes, and Bumps

If a CVT belt or pulley is malfunctioning, it could create the sensation of the car shuddering or shaking.

Customer Complaint

An owner of a 2012 Subaru Outback stated to the NHTSA, “Vehicle shudders and stalls when braking hard. It will not stall on a gradual stop but will stall in any situation when stopping quickly. … Resulting stall means loss of power brakes and steering. Have to shift into park and restart the vehicle.”

Hesitation

If your vehicle pauses or hesitates when you press the gas, the CVT could be malfunctioning.

Customer Complaint

One owner of a 2015 Subaru Outback filed a complaint with the NHTSA saying, “Intermittently, the car does not respond when the accelerator is depressed. I am told by the dealership that this is a common problem with the CVT transmission. This is a major safety issue, as I have almost been hit on several occasions when turning left or merging into traffic. If the accelerator is depressed more and more, the car finally lurches forward and the brakes have to be slammed on.”

Fluid Seepage

Several complaints about fluid seeping out of the CVT housing resulted in Subaru issuing Technical Service Bulletins related to CVT clamps and CVT seals. According to the investigation, the likely source of the seepage is the sealant used on the CVT’s oil pump chain cover and the input shaft oil seal.

Common Subaru CVT Repair Costs:

If the vehicle is within 10 years old, most of these problems should be covered under Subaru’s extended warranty. But if you’re out of coverage, or you’ve put a bunch of miles on your Subaru, some of the minor repairs cost roughly $1,000-2,500. If your CVT has tanked, a new unit costs roughly $7,000-8,000, while used CVT replacements cost about $1,000-3,000. Those repairs can make a dent in any budget so you will need to make sure that you are covered. If you are not sure what would be the best choice for your Subaru you can check out our in-depth guide about Extended Warranties that will give you some great tips on what to look for (and what to avoid) when selecting a warranty. We have also reviewed a lot of popular individual providers and their plans, so that you can get an informative review that you can trust and make sure that you have made the right choice. Not sure where to start? You can read our review of Carshield's Extended Warranty plan since there is a good chance that you will find the right coverage for your budget.

7. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    It maybe the bandwagon now but the same was said of AT trannies of old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    this reminds me of the old 80's.
    The perception of mechanics and older people that time is that any Automatic transmission costs a huge arm and a leg to maintain and service.

But for the TS choices.

Why not opted for a 2nd hand Fortuner or a second hand Hilux pick up instead. they have excellent resale value, very good FC, traditional A/T, big enough for 6 ft persons, great for out of town trips.
    you do sacrifice that with a more jarring ride.

My personal choice thou is the Subaru Forester XT. If your all alone driving, its best to have a car that you could enjoy and have fun with. For that the Forester XT is better than the rest. my personal opinion.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by travajante View Post
    Good USED options....all nonCVT.Need Opinion: Best 2nd hand CUV at 700k

and it's have a diesel option (fortuner/innova)
    also there's the toyota rush in the used market.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    and it's have a diesel option (fortuner/innova)
    also there's the toyota rush in the used market.
    Innova/Fort are fine, non-DPF diesels. Don't RUSH....Cousin, of dr. d's breed, has 1....nothing but remorse.Need Opinion: Best 2nd hand CUV at 700k

10. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    The only CUV I've owned in TS's list is the last gen CR-V. The 2.0 4x2 variant is comfortable, refined, handles well enough and has ample space. If you do have passengers in the rear they will probably complain as rear legroom is limited when the front seats are adjusted at the maximum. FC can be good if you feather the throttle, keep the revs low and take it easy. But if you have a heavy foot, expect 6-7 Km/L, even if not much happens when you floor it.

No issues from the years I've owned it. Never had to replace any parts save for brake pads and shocks which were readily available outside dealerships.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast