New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    I still root for the Familia. Ownership is where the Accord (which I also like, dont get me wrong) and Familia will differ.

1.) Parts will always be more expensive on the Accord. Try scouting for brake pads, timing belts, PS pumps, shocks etc. You will see the difference.
    2.) Registration. 1.6L below have cheaper registration cost than that of 2.0L-up.
    3.) Gas consumption. I know that the Accord may be one of the thriftiest 90s mid sizer. But for sure, it will consume greater fuel than the Familia. The Familia on my experience could get as high as 8km/l city. Average of like, 7km/l on fairly zoomy drive but mine's a matic. Of course, if you're unit is a manual and at optimum engine efficiency (read: well maintained :D), I think it can topple the Accord at the pump.
    4.) A compact car, still has better resale, surplus parts availability etc.
    5.) Since it is a project car, the Mazdaspeed version parts is easily available. MTP, may also be of big help with that.

btw, before I bought my then Familia, I was choosing between that and an Accord too. ;)
    Goodluck.

2. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I agree with the points raised above. But it all still depends on personal preferences and priorities. Most definitely, the Accord would be more costly to maintain as compared to a compact sedan. But the level of refinement, quality and stability is very different as well. If I were looking for a nice, efficient compact, I would most definitely not look into the Familia, which is not known for fuel efficiency. A B14 Sentra or Lynx 1.6M/T (rebadged Familia, but one generation newer) would be my choices.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by GTi View Post
    But the level of refinement, quality and stability is very different as well. If I were looking for a nice, efficient compact, I would most definitely not look into the Familia, which is not known for fuel efficiency. A B14 Sentra or Lynx 1.6M/T (rebadged Familia, but one generation newer) would be my choices.
    Refinement maybe. The Accord's ride is brilliant. The Familia's not bad either though. Quality? Up to par, Familias have tight interior quality, if I may say. Well laid dash and gauges and very roomy cabin for a compact. Stability, I'm sure it can keep up with the Accord. Since it is a project car, I believe lower cost to run may be able to help the owner have more funds for mods. That is why I vote for the Familia.

Lynx fuel efficient?

Ford Lynx

Mazda Familia gen 2.5 1.6

Familiar? I think the Lynx consumes about same fuel as the Familia.

4. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    No, we all know the Lynx is not known for fuel efficiency, but it is newer than the Familia and can still be had with a 100+k budget, which gives it an advantage here. Being one generation newer, there may also be some improvements as compared to the Familia's version. The B14, on the other hand, is very cheap to procure and would be very nice to tweak with as there are many tuning possibilities with it, and parts are cheap and very easy to find.

But still, personally, kung project car that you would want to thoroughly enjoy, I'd get the Accord. Being a Honda, it is very tuner-friendly and performance is already inherently good. Even if you tune it, it would still be very comfortable and stable at high speeds unlike the light compacts. I can just imagine how good it will run if you swap in the 200hp H22A engine under the hood...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123