New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    ..."imba" ?
    hahaha a frequently used term of gamers i guess?
    It means extremely powerful if my memory serves me right

2. Join Date
    Dec 2016
    you nailed it *coleengarcia #dotapamore ;)

3. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    butting in.
    olx.
    the our very own tsikot.com cars for sale.

but visiting and examining and test-driving the used car for sale, is a must. hey! it's even fun! 'wag lang umulan...
    bring someone who knows cars, along. preferably a relative, para hindi ma-suhulan ng seller.
    hahahahah yeah 'wag lang umulan... haha
    Btw, how long do you think is enough for a test-drive?

4. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by coleengarcia View Post
    hahahahah yeah 'wag lang umulan... haha
    Btw, how long do you think is enough for a test-drive?
    "as much as what the seller will allow, and still the police won't arrest you". heh heh.
    you know.. some road surface imperfections to check the suspension.. some fast accelerations to test the engine and tranny.. spirited braking.. full left-and-right steering to bring out the CV joint issues..
    the upholstery... is it sagging? i love buying from little folks... the seats ain't sagged. check the seats with the seat covers removed, po. baka may tinatagong talino sa ilalim...
    bring a magnet. is it paint, or is it masilya?
    did the car go swimming?
    you should download that article on how to size up used cars, including ATs and CVTs. it promises to be helpful.

and most important... does the seller have every right to sell that car! are the documents in order? NO XEROX!

make a checklist, po, and follow it. it's easy to forget things when you are excited over what can possibly be your next car.
    Last edited by dr. d; April 13th, 2017 at 01:25 PM.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    some of these ads are just collections of ads by individual private sellers, po. the "organization" that collected these ads for our perusal in one address, probably do not have significant knowledge nor control over the quality of the car nor the veracity of the lyrics of the ad. it is still our-the-buyer caveat to emptor the cars.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    When i buy second hand:
    1. I check the mileage to see how much it averages a year, and usually one that runs 15K a year is pretty average before.
    2. Check all body panel alignment (i check the spare tire area and engine bay panels as well repairs and misalignments here can denote crash repair);
    3. Take the car on a lifter at a nearby gas station (with prior clearance from the seller even before we set the test drive) as checking the underside can tell a lot (underchassis damage, leaks, etc.).
    4. If the owner has several cars, chances are it is low mileage however they sometimes oversee to service the car regularly as it gets parked more often. If the owner has only one car, it may have higher mileage but more often the owner oversees the servicing hands-on.
    5. I check for service records.
    6. I observe the garage of the owner for his car maintenance regimen (wax and detailing stuff, a few tools, oil bottles, etc.).

However, buying a 1 to 3 year old unit will minimize possible problems too.

7. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i shun away from "meet-up...". i prefer seller's house. that way, i also know where he lives, in case some legal irregularity crops up later.
    i check his garage for oil leaks on the floor.
    puedeng crankshaft gasket.. oilpan gasket.. oil drain plug...
    minor things, but they do suggest what type of a car owner this guy is.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    "as much as what the seller will allow, and still the police won't arrest you". heh heh.
    you know.. some road surface imperfections to check the suspension.. some fast accelerations to test the engine and tranny.. spirited braking.. full left-and-right steering to bring out the CV joint issues..
    the upholstery... is it sagging? i love buying from little folks... the seats ain't sagged. check the seats with the seat covers removed, po. baka may tinatagong talino sa ilalim...
    bring a magnet. is it paint, or is it masilya?
    did the car go swimming?
    you should download that article on how to size up used cars, including ATs and CVTs. it promises to be helpful.

and most important... does the seller have every right to sell that car! are the documents in order? NO XEROX!

make a checklist, po, and follow it. it's easy to forget things when you are excited over what can possibly be your next car.
    Thanks D, your last sentence sums up my life hahahah

9. Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    When i buy second hand:
    1. I check the mileage to see how much it averages a year, and usually one that runs 15K a year is pretty average before.
    2. Check all body panel alignment (i check the spare tire area and engine bay panels as well repairs and misalignments here can denote crash repair);
    3. Take the car on a lifter at a nearby gas station (with prior clearance from the seller even before we set the test drive) as checking the underside can tell a lot (underchassis damage, leaks, etc.).
    4. If the owner has several cars, chances are it is low mileage however they sometimes oversee to service the car regularly as it gets parked more often. If the owner has only one car, it may have higher mileage but more often the owner oversees the servicing hands-on.
    5. I check for service records.
    6. I observe the garage of the owner for his car maintenance regimen (wax and detailing stuff, a few tools, oil bottles, etc.).

However, buying a 1 to 3 year old unit will minimize possible problems too.
    i shun away from "meet-up...". i prefer seller's house. that way, i also know where he lives, in case some legal irregularity crops up later.
    i check his garage for oil leaks on the floor.
    puedeng crankshaft gasket.. oilpan gasket.. oil drain plug...
    minor things, but they do suggest what type of a car owner this guy is.
    Masters!
    Very very helpful
    I think I need to take a screenshot and open it while checking any cars

10. Join Date
    Apr 2017
    I tried to purchase an used car myself as a lone expat and found it to be mostly negative experience compared to more developed countries:

It's common not to post make year and mileage. Just saying “I sell a Navara” with no details.
    Even if you ask for mileage, and if seller replies you, it doesn't have to be real mileage. One guy told me upon test drive “the number I sent to you is what's shown on dashboard and I've replaced dashboard”.
    Many ads turned out to be outdated (no such car), and small shops use it to offer you whatever they may have at the moment.
    Overall it took me more than 7 days and two trips to Manila to meet with a dozen of sellers and finally buy a car.

You can try looking at Facebook groups because for many Filipinos internet = Facebook and they rarely open web browser at all.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Looking for a used Toyota/Hyundai/Suzuki for woman in Manila