New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    H! Tsikoteers,

I just want to gather some insights from you guys before I finally suggest to a good friend of mine which ideal leisure SUV to get this coming March that will replace her 15 years old Toyota Landcruiser. Both are tons full of nice features that's why it is really hard to decide and give a suggestion. technically, I already introduced him to Hyundai Grand Santa Fe - and she already drawn positive impressions on it but still we're eyeing for some available option around and yes, it is the Ford Explorer 2.0L EcoBoost since it is on the same price range of 2.4M+. .

and to add some criteria on our option..

-Ideal family leisure vehicle, perfect as family weekend getaway SUV with 7 seats. (weekend car - usual route is Tagaytay, Baguio, Quezon Province, Batangas )
    -Manageable to drive for a lady driver (Yes, she will drive it by her own every mostly every weekends, She only had a personal driver during weekdays)
    -Much Better in the long run, Reliable...(planning to keep it for 5 years and above according to her)
    -Gas or Diesel, doesn't matter to her. (fuel efficiency is a + but not that much matter)

so, which would be a better choice? A gas fed (EcoBoost) or diesel fed (Crdi)? the K-Pop Grand Santa Fe or the Macho Explorer?

Your insights will be much appreciated. TIA!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2012
    I had the same choices back in July and opted for a KDM Max Cruz via pistol motors. My buddy has the Explorer and had nothing but issues with it including rust in the underside of the hood. He just got rid of it last week and for a Forester.

As for the Grand Santa Fe, it's a great highway cruiser. The diesel engine is more than adequate and I'm getting about 11km per liter with mixed city/hwy.

The Explorer is about to be refreshed so she should consider that too.

3. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    I'd go with the Santa Fe. We have the 2011 4x4 model, currently with 56tkms. The engine is punchy with very negligible turbo lag, great power from the bottom all the way to the top of the rev range, and there have been no major issues with it. Same goes with the transmission which shifts very well when left alone, though I have to say that the manual shift override does not give much shifting freedom and the "engine braking" when you let go of the accelerator can be quite irritating at times especially if you're intending to let the car coast. Handling and ride comfort is near sedan levels. As compared to the gas Explorer, this one also has the benefit of a better resale value.

If the car will be frequently taken out of town though, especially down south in provinces where there is an abundance of bad roads with potholes that put the craters of the moon to shame , it would probably be more prudent to get the similarly priced, less powerful but sturdier Pajero instead.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I'd go with the Santa Fe. We have the 2011 4x4 model, currently with 56tkms. The engine is punchy with very negligible turbo lag, great power from the bottom all the way to the top of the rev range, and there have been no major issues with it. Same goes with the transmission which shifts very well when left alone, though I have to say that the manual shift override does not give much shifting freedom and the "engine braking" when you let go of the accelerator can be quite irritating at times especially if you're intending to let the car coast. Handling and ride comfort is near sedan levels. As compared to the gas Explorer, this one also has the benefit of a better resale value.

If the car will be frequently taken out of town though, especially down south in provinces where there is an abundance of bad roads with potholes that put the craters of the moon to shame , it would probably be more prudent to get the similarly priced, less powerful but sturdier Pajero instead.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Doesnt matter ang gas? Edi explorer na. Bigger space. Mas maporma pa. Although nafeel ko na mas mabigat ang explorer idrive compared sa sta fe. Dont get me wrong. Light idrive ang explorer. Pero mas light idrive ang sta fe. Mas malakas humataw, mas magaan. Parang sedan sports car