New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Miting View Post
    it really depends. pero statistics show most guys let go of their old cars after they attend a party with most guests having brand new cars at the claim valet.
    I have a relative who like this.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Cute Minis. Still going strong after 50 years. Depended rin sa brand, model and make. There are model within a brand that commands respect and high resale value be it Asian, American or European make. There are people who still maintains classic cars because they are not just mere owners but enthusiast.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I look at the mileage of the car. 100tkms is old enough for me. Time to replace na.

That's for sedans. For diesel SUV's its a different story.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    it really depends. pero statistics show most guys let go of their old cars after they attend a party with most guests having brand new cars at the claim valet.
    hehehe funny but true in some cases

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    in my case, my two previous cars were retained for 5 years only. the reason? meron akong car loan sa company ko eh.

when i put up my own, di ko na priority yan. i was supposed to replace my 7 year old lancer last year, but i changed my priorities where instead of buying a new car, i opted to put my resources to put up my own business.

looks like i have to use my lancer for about 5 years more. anyway, makinis pa naman and wala pang sira. all boils down to proper maintenance.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Well I am very sentimental, my first car the one I learned to drive in is still with me my 1981 Ford Cortina, still in original paint, retired for display 8 years ago, my 1981 W123 200D under going restoration, we have a 1994 Corolla as daily driver, and 1995 Hi-ace. So no need for a new car both are cheap to maintain.

7. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    My first car was a 1979 Galant which was handed down to me by my father. I got it in 1989 with 110km on it. I kept it until 1995, at which time it had 170km on it. Sold it because of rust problems. Had it scrapped to metal in 1990 or 1991 but by 1995 was even worse than when I got it.

My second car is a 1995 Toyota Corolla GLi which is a back-up to a 2003 Vios (which belongs to my wife). 184,000 km. No overhaul. All engine parts original 8+ km liter on city driving. Needs a repaint and interiro repairs but otherwise runs fine. Thiniking of replacing this one to avail of newer safety features (dual air bags).

Rust proofing seems to have improved. I have not even had to replace the muffler yet. Unlike the 79 Galant were the muffler and body would develop rust quickly.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Kung German cars like Mercedes, BMW, Porsche yan, I'd gladly hold on to it for 10 or more years. There are some cars, no need to mention names, that I'd be selling as soon as the warranty expires.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2003
    i still have a 1969 VW beetle at the garage, it still runs but needs restoration.

I guess it depends on the model of the ride. there are those who could be considered as keepers like those classics and muscle cars and the bimmers and benz, there are also SUVs that are built like tanks so i do think that there are those that you could keep for a long time.

10. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    wow! this is a very interesting topic. actually, i have a related thread here entitled "Keep your old car vs. buying a new car?" a certain "Gerbo" commented in said thread referring this one. my current ride and 1st car is 1997 mitsubishi galant. i bought it on sept. 2009. it was already almost junked by the previous owner but i restored it, and until now the restoration process is still ongoing little by little, but it is in very good running condition. it just need some minor repairs and paint jobs.

I love my car and I want to preserve it. Everytime I see old cars which are still running on the road, i am inspired. I know someone who has a 1977 mitsubishi galant, and his car is still running but of course needs some restoration due to rust. So, i am thinking that maybe I can keep my car in good running condition for 20 years or more.

The history of the mitsu galant is that it was created in 1969 as japanese counterpart to the american muscle cars. I love to see muscle cars and vintage cars, so i am thinking that if i can preserve my car for 20 years or more even if i already have a newer car/suv, then, it could be a future vintage car.

a friend of mine has a 1996 hyundai elantra and now he have a new ford everest. he is hesitant to sell his old car because he know that he would surely miss it.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
How many years can you hold on to a particular car model?