New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    I've really been bothered recently by the prices of cars in the Philippines. I just saw that an Audi R8 in the US is half the price of the ones being sold here. Are law makers that rich that they don't even have to bother revising the automotive tax in the country? The auto industry is down to assembly and sales. What's there to protect? Making cars cheaper won't put more cars on the road, it'll just make them safer and better to look at. In some countries, the Ford Mustang is the working man's car. Here, its the wealthy man's.

I think that the gov't can get as much money if they lower taxes. More people will buy new instead of trying to salvage old, slow, unsafe, and dirty engines. I really think something has to be done about this. I'm sad.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    I also find the tax ridiculous on luxury vehicles. But since the government prides itself in pleasing the masses, what can we do?

Frankly, I'd say they should lower the 100% tax to simply 50%-40%. That range is still pretty reasonable. Shelling out 7m rather than 10m for a R8 or a 2m 3-series isn't shabby either.

Of course, we have no substantial proof that lowering taxes increases their revenues. We can always say that newbie Ferrari smugglers would be discouraged and so will purchase their cars legitly, but who knows.

Besides, upgrade the road infrastructure first before more luxury cars appear. Rather than being awestruck at that 599 zooming through EDSA, naawa ako sa kanila due to the poor road conditions. Of course, if ever you'll be getting an exotic sports car, DO live in Greenhills or drive at Fort. Unlike my next-next-neighbor na sumasayad yun Lambo sa humps (wahaha) and opts for his Boxster instead.

EDIT: We can factor that 70% are under the poverty line, and the "well-off" should number at around 10%, still, those 10% contribute a lot to the GDP. Gov't should still consider lowering of taxes and a more strict implementation of the anti-smuggling law, and it should be a double whammy to potential luxury car buyers who are eyeing the black market to finally go legit.

The excuse of "it just goes to the pocket of a corrupt politician" as a justification of tax evasion seems justified if you look at our road infrastructure. PNoy still has a long way to go in completely eradicating corruption.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    The government lives on taxes. Why would they lower it to benefit a few? If only taxes were collected properly, at sana mahuli mga tax evaders. Para pwede na ibaba taxes sa auto.

4. Join Date
    Sep 2008
    I get your point sir volden,

take a look of this

Too much tax will soon result to lesser revenues, I learned it from my economics class.

5. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    it doesn't matter who sits in the palace and how they fool the masses with their B***S*** scripts to attract votes for them to win every election,

it's always 2012 dito sa pinas

dapat nga siguro flag natin naging buwaya na logo sa gitna eh...
    i'm not letting anyone down that there would be no hope to our country anymore, ok? i'm just sharing my point of view

hmm.. also, if the luxury cars' prices drop dito, exclusitivity also drops

Hope for cheaper cars in the country?