New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Mga sir, im currently owned toyota corolla ae92 stock engine. im satisfied with the performance and it is very reliable. however i need a car which have more fuel efficient,all power, EFI. my budget is 150k. would you think honda city is enough? what are the pros and cons? need your advice. Thanks

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    An SX8 Honda City would be great. I drove one for 6 years.

Coming from an AE92, the SX8 should be like coming home. Both cars have great visibility characteristic of late-1980s cars.

Do try to find out if you have no comfort issues while driving it, as the dashboard is pretty low and there are places where you can bang your knees against. Blame the 1980s roots of the SX8 City as it's a remake of the 1988-1991 EF Honda Civic. I'm 5'8" and I fit in well.

Check out the suspension. Unlike its daddy the EF Civic, the SX8 City trades its double wishbones for a set of long-travel struts all around. They ride well, but you might be tied to the casa for replacement dampers.

Interior-wise all I can complain about are the stock speakers; they don't sound too good.

If you can find examples from 1998-2003 with the 1.5L engine (the VTEC-equipped VTi or the non-VTEC 1.5EXi), those should be great. Be aware that none of the 1.5L-powered cars came with an automatic transmission; all of them came with a rubbery five-speed manual gearbox and a really springy clutch. Driving like a hooligan, you can net 9-10 km/L thanks to light weight and a good power-to-weight ratio. Imagine how much more frugal you can get if you drove like a saint.

Good luck!

3. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    *type 100, thanks for the advice and recommendation. do you think 1.5exi still have low gas consumption? and how much is the price range of 1.3exi and 1.5exi?

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    The gas consumption figures I gave you were for my old 1.5EXi. I do not drive particularly for economy so 9-10 km/L is still very good - imagine how much better you can do if you drove like a saint.

My car was a 1999 model. You could probably score one of those for 150K or so.

By the way, the car is quite roomy, up front or at the back. Seats are on the small side but I'm more comfortable with those than the ones on my Jazz.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Thanks for the info. maybe i prefer to have exi 1.3. sorry to ask you more question. is it all EXI carb type or efi?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ab3t View Post
    Thanks for the info. maybe i prefer to have exi 1.3. sorry to ask you more question. is it all EXI carb type or efi?
    The very earliest SX8s had carbureted 1.3L engines...these were sold around 1996-1997. By 1998 every SX8 was fuel injected.

Honda City EXI inquiry